Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 14:27:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
amp suggestions for 1.5 (Read 8476 times)
Angaria2
Ex Member

amp suggestions for 1.5
09/16/06 at 03:10:35

I just picked up a pair of 1.5's - using them in a bedroom.   Love the soundstaging, but <100Hz there's about a 20 db drop off vs 100Hz+.  

I'm using a panasonic sa-xr55 to drive them... it's actually sounded fine with much higher end stuff, and no, there is no sub/subwoofer crossover affecting this. I'm looking for a way to tone down the highs and add fuller base.  Any cheap SS recs would be wellcome.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Re: amp suggestions for 1.5
Reply #1 - 09/16/06 at 11:27:00

Have you tried upping the value of the resistor on the tweeters? that should bring the highs down. I think a 5w resistor of 16 ohm would do the trick but you might get better results with something a bit lower. You´ll just have to get a few different values (all 5w though!) and experiment  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/16/06 at 11:34:05

That's a really good suggestion from Rap.  I use my Radial RL2s in a near field arrangement in a former bedroom and I use rather high value resistors to lower the tweeter output with very good results.

IP Logged
Angaria2
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/17/06 at 18:58:00

Hi Guys,

Thanks - resisters are certainly cheaper than amps.  Does the resister quality matter?  Recommended source for these?  Thanks.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/17/06 at 19:27:28

Hi Angaria.
As I have been known to have problems with carbon resistors in certain placement´s I ll leave the advice on those to Lon or some other local expert on radials (I´m still in the process of building mine Wink) . But bias aside I gather Riken´s are highly regarded but I dont´think they were made in the 5w flavour. Most of my old resistors look like Allen Bradley´s or tantalum´s ( I spent a lot of time 20 years ago stripping out old gear for parts, as I had no money!) I think that in the 5w region your best bet might be Vishay resistors but to each his own and all things are relative Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/17/06 at 20:03:03

Ang,

I'm thinking of the "wire-wound porcelain resistors" that go in the tweeter output binder posts on the back of the Radials. I've always gotten mine from Radio Shack online.  I've had identical values to the ones that Steve ships with the speakers from Radio Shack, and though I bet those are higher quality (the "porcelain" body sure feels nicer) I can't tell any difference in sound between those mail ordered and those from Steve.  And I use much higher values than those Steve ships, I use either  50 ohm or 100 ohm ones.

IP Logged
Angaria2
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/21/06 at 00:27:56

Thanks for the helpful responses guys.

Lon - ratshack sells 50 and 100 ohm 10 watts resistors - but I'm not seeing any of the otherwise suggested 5w.  Are these what you're using?

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/21/06 at 14:32:10

Right, I use 100 ohms on the tweeter resistors on my RL2s, and 50 ohms on the lower driver (makes it a bit active instead of passive, and really changes the sound, bringing out midrange "punch").  I'm not sure if you can add resistors to the 1.5 lower driver.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print