Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 20:23:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do you get the standard gain with 2 enclosures? (Read 7787 times)
cutmoney
Ex Member

Do you get the standard gain with 2 enclosures?
06/15/06 at 05:33:22

I know that with a standard horn mounted ported enclosure you receive a significant gain—somewhere between 3-6 db—by placing multiple enclosures next to each other due to the coupling of the bass. Is there any reason that two of the dual-loaded HW enclosures would be any different. In other words, would I achieve the standard gain if I was to place the enclosures next to each other rather than on different sides of the room?

By the way, I am planning on loading the cabs with 4 Rockford RFR2215 Power DVC 15" woofers (1000/2000 watt), 2 per HW box. Has anybody tried these RF subs in the HW yet? If so, what's your experience? Thanks!

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: Do you get the standard gain with 2 enclosures
Reply #1 - 06/15/06 at 12:57:56

standard horn mounted ported enclosures ? what are those ?
anyway, i don't think you will gain more than 3dBs by stacking the hwk.
stacking horns is a diffrent thing, because you increase the mouth area and, from what i read, you gain more than 3dBs

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/15/06 at 13:23:49

[quote author=cutmoney  link=1150349602/0#0 date=1150346002]I know that with a standard horn mounted ported enclosure you receive a significant gain—somewhere between 3-6 db—by placing multiple enclosures next to each other due to the coupling of the bass. Is there any reason that two of the dual-loaded HW enclosures would be any different. In other words, would I achieve the standard gain if I was to place the enclosures next to each other rather than on different sides of the room?

By the way, I am planning on loading the cabs with 4 Rockford RFR2215 Power DVC 15" woofers (1000/2000 watt), 2 per HW box. Has anybody tried these RF subs in the HW yet? If so, what's your experience? Thanks! [/quote]

i would build 2 hwks with 2 drivers in each, im fairly sure this would give you more output than 1 hwk with 4 drivers? but im NOT CERTAIN.even with my 2 old skool jbl 15s ($40 pair e bay used), my hwk produces the sickest bass and lots of it.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/15/06 at 13:27:52

2 hwks with 2 subs will be louder than 1 hwk with 4 subs. isobaric doesn't increase spl.

IP Logged
cutmoney
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/15/06 at 14:49:56

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1150349602/0#3 date=1150374472]2 hwks with 2 subs will be louder than 1 hwk with 4 subs. isobaric doesn't increase spl. [/quote]

What I mean is I currently have the subs in a standard front-loaded vented enclosure, like you would most standard woofer installs. I am planning on using these HWs for two DJ systems so I really have to put them in two separate boxes anyway. However, what I wanted to know is whether or not setting the two HWs right next to each other (when I want to run all the subs on one system) would produce a higher total dB output than setting them apart from each other.

I know that with the front-loaded enclosures like I am using now that you will achieve a 3-6 dB gain when they are sitting right on top or next to each other. What happens is the bass couples and basically acts like one massive subwoofer rather than each one working individually (as long as they are all in phase of course). What I wanted to know is if this is the same with the HW enclosures.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/15/06 at 16:53:16

id try a hwk at each end of the room for most even distribution of the bass.

IP Logged
John in CR
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/15/06 at 18:40:21

Cutmoney,

There are 2 effects at play here.  Each doubling of identical enclosures adds +3db in output with the same total power input.  Powerhandling also doubles, so that's another +3db of max potential.

The other effect is essentially the line array effect.  The spl from a line array decreases by 3db for each doubling of distance verses 6db for a regular speaker.  That's why line arrays are always used for concerts.  The line array effect is dependent upon frequency, line length, and listening distance.  Higher frequencies require shorter lines but closer driver spacing.  Lower frequencies require longer lines, but the drivers can be further apart and still achieve line array behavior for the same listening distance.

As a DJ wanting to maximize bass output, you should also consider boundary reinforcement.  If a wall is near your setup, use it to your advantage by placing your bass speakers on the floor all the way against the wall.

IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/08/06 at 00:39:57

[quote author=cutmoney  link=1150349602/0#4 date=1150379396]

What I mean is I currently have the subs in a standard front-loaded vented enclosure, like you would most standard woofer installs. I am planning on using these HWs for two DJ systems so I really have to put them in two separate boxes anyway. However, what I wanted to know is whether or not setting the two HWs right next to each other (when I want to run all the subs on one system) would produce a higher total dB output than setting them apart from each other.

I know that with the front-loaded enclosures like I am using now that you will achieve a 3-6 dB gain when they are sitting right on top or next to each other. What happens is the bass couples and basically acts like one massive subwoofer rather than each one working individually (as long as they are all in phase of course). What I wanted to know is if this is the same with the HW enclosures. [/quote]
Cutmoney, I've been using my HW's for two years now for DJ'ing. I dont recommend seperating the subs from my expierience. I've always had the best response with both subs upright side by side, center stage. I put them laying down with the large ports outward and any other way that you can think of. If you can boundry load, do so, but in the same configuration. Everytime that I play, I have to chase the Hw's out on the dance floor about every 1/2 hour. If you can keep them away from the crowd, try to do so. You would be amazed at what a Pat O's hurricane can do to two Peavey black widows.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print