04/24/24 at 19:40:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hwk output q? (Read 598 times)
60ndown
Ex Member

hwk output q?
07/15/06 at 01:33:42

does a hwk with 2 subs fireing up have equal less or more output than a typical ported design?

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Re: hwk output q?
Reply #1 - 07/15/06 at 15:31:57

Don't you have a hwk?  Why not try it? ???

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/15/06 at 16:35:24

yep i do, in fact 2, but i seem to be makeing a strange journey, from sq....to sql to.... spl?
just lovin my bass loud at the moment and wodering if a regular design portedbox would have more output than a hwk? because with the hwk the drivers are not fireing straight into the vehicle, wheras in a typical ported box they are? and i dlike someopinions from you smart guys before i build another box Cry

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/17/06 at 02:24:17

Don't build another, MOD THE ONE YOU GOT!  ;D

Bob

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/17/06 at 04:52:34

Well, for pure SPL, a 6th order bandpass box or a simple ported enclosure is king.

The HWK is kind of a special 6th order bandpass with its isobaric air coupling chamber.  It seems to increase the bandwidth of the HWK for a more broad bass reproduction.

For high output and decent (read bearable) SQ, a well designed ported box is the only option.  There are trade offs for SQ vs SPL.  The WO is the only design that has minimum tradeoffs that I have used.

I can not offer my opinions as to what you should do, since the HWK was horrible when I threw it into the boot of my buddies Pontiac 6000.  So much so that I am confused it could sound well anywhere except in large rooms for DJs.

I am also a believer that SQL is not real.  There are SQ systems that play loud, but they are not SPL competitors.  It is just another hype made up by brands to help sell loud pieces of shit.

SO, ask yourself what you really want.  Then come back here.  It sounds to me that you just want to build boxes and try things.  If that is so, throw up your specs for the subs, we will see if we can't design you a loud ported box for you to build.

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/17/06 at 20:05:23

when using winISD to model the same driver in various alignments, it is plain to see that the fourth and sixth order bandpass both have higher peaks, but are nowhere close to flat.

modeling two fourth orders instead of one sixth order generally yeilds that same response graph when the two are overlaid. but the excursion is harder to control.

a plain ported box tuned around the Fs of the driver gets close, but restricts driver selection to those with an Fs around 30hz and produces a peaked resonse graph.  A box ported to a less than optimal frequency will ideally still model very flat, but wont hold a candle to either of the spikes in the sixth order box.

SQ - proper driver in proper sealed, or well engineered ported

SPL - optimally tuned ported, fourth or sixth order bandpass, or series bandpass with gobs of power

SQL - uhhh... overcompromised either way, too loud to be listenable, not loud enough to win.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print