Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 01:15:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
compares to Johns Nippons?? (Read 11599 times)
rondawg72
Ex Member

compares to Johns Nippons??
04/07/06 at 14:25:09

i think i have read every thread on HWK's - and it seems to me that alot of you prefer the low excusion woofers .... mainly due to port noise - i already have another thread trying to get advice on some woofers i already possess...but that didnt stop me from looking around for some inexpensive suitable drivers for this application....inspired, of course, by John in CR's unbelievable $12.50 Nippon - and i see these today on the PartsExpress site.... i know that 3mm xmax isn't ideal, but it seems like it might meet alot of the requirements in other parameters that alot of you have discussed....i'm not sure...these #'s are mostly foreign to me - but at $9.50 a piece (probably less if buying high # of them)....you could build a fully loaded ISO Sledgehammer for under $100...kinda makes you think that a man could build a few in his garage and sell them out of the classifieds -- here is the URL.....lemme know what everyone thinks!!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-738

im not sure how to make a link...sorry

IP Logged
rondawg72
Ex Member

Re: compares to Johns Nippons??
Reply #1 - 04/07/06 at 14:29:09

hmmm....the link creates itself auto....kool

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/07/06 at 14:51:45

[quote author=rondawg72  link=1144419909/0#1 date=1144416549]hmmm....the link creates itself auto....kool [/quote]

Technology is a wonderful thing.

Bob

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/07/06 at 16:23:36

For $9.50 a pop....I'm inclined to spend a little money just to play around.

But alas, the wife would kill me if I brought more speakers into the house (right now).

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/07/06 at 16:38:50

What honey,.... oh those ol' things,.... had 'em for years.  ??? Roll Eyes Tongue

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/07/06 at 16:44:58

[quote author=Bob  link=1144419909/0#4 date=1144424330]What honey,.... oh those ol' things,.... had 'em for years.  ??? Roll Eyes Tongue [/quote]
Might work, if we hadn't already been togeth for 5+ years.
She's seen every stereo/speaker I've bought for the last 6.

Yeah, maybe in the far future.

Are there any benefits to triple(quadruple, quintuple, etc.) iso-loading?

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/07/06 at 16:47:49

Other than having to get a bigger amp, and repair more drywall cracks?    :D

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/07/06 at 16:49:32

.....I'm Thinking of the housewrecker design.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/08/06 at 03:01:54

I am racking up a partsexpress order as we speak, mostly crossover parts and a few other things, but I plan on picking up 4 of those, debating on red or black.

I want to make a simple sealed enclosure for under my bed, but I may try a 12 HWK.

I will get back to you on wether I order them or not, If I do, plan on hearing from me with a month about a HWK for them.

Or if you can't wait, just order 'em and try em, if they don't work for a HWK they will work for something else, right?

IP Logged
rondawg72
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/08/06 at 03:29:08

i ordered four of them today.....i just cant resist it....$40.....this is the only way i would ever afford to fully load one of these enclosures....im sure that worse case scenario i could easily get my $ back out of them...where i work there are plenty of guys that would buy this.....im keeping this site and those plans secret for now...i dont know how long these will be available...but if they sound even  OK - i have know doubt that i could build 4 or 5 of them and sell them for a $250-$300 a piece and get the money to build a proper one for myself!!

IP Logged
John in CR
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/18/06 at 18:38:16

Please let us know if they work out.  I have 4 of the identical driver in a 15" version, except mine have a bumble bee painted on the dust cap.  I couldn't resist when I saw them in person on sale for $5 each down here.  I always planned to try them OB due to the obviously high Qts with that thimble sized magnet.  The 15's were obviously much lower in SPL than the 85 stated for the 12's and they are just collecting dust.  They may just work in a quad loaded HWK though.

You won't be able to apply much power because their mechanical limit isn't much more than the Xmax and the foam surround does nothing to prevent banging against the back plate.  If you hear a banging noise, you'll know what it is and back off the volume.

IP Logged
nathank
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/21/06 at 21:37:14

[quote author=rondawg72  link=1144419909/0#9 date=1144463348]i ordered four of them today.....i just cant resist it....$40.....this is the only way i would ever afford to fully load one of these enclosures....im sure that worse case scenario i could easily get my $ back out of them...where i work there are plenty of guys that would buy this.....im keeping this site and those plans secret for now...i dont know how long these will be available...but if they sound even  OK - i have know doubt that i could build 4 or 5 of them and sell them for a $250-$300 a piece and get the money to build a proper one for myself!! [/quote]

So how did they work out?

IP Logged
rondawg72
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/13/06 at 16:36:05

sorry guys...to be honest they are still sitting on the floor of my computer room still boxed up - i opened one....and they look as cheap as the price represented - ive been pretty busy and honestly lost the urge to build a HWK for these....maybe this fall when i start getting bored and the days get shorter i will find myself in the shop more and will do something with these....but at best it will be expieriment and if they work well ill probably just sell it -- i've found myself abandoning this large "bandpass" enclosure in favor of an infinate baffle for my bass needs......but still the reviews on this enclosure has me curious

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print