Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 14:50:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO36 delay and phasing? (Read 537 times)
HT-EXT
Ex Member

WO36 delay and phasing?
03/21/06 at 15:20:02

I was reading a thread on the delay the WO has vs. other subs and can't seem to find it now. When I do the mic set up on my HT it gives me some off the wall distance for the WO. The WO is directly in front of the TV pointed at Captain's Chair no more than ten foot away from the mouth of the horn. The set up is saying fourteen feet from C's Chair. Can anyone tell me the deal with the WO's delay or phasing so the system is all insync? The plate amp has adjustable phase control so I'll starting tinkering soon but some pointers would help. THANKS for any replies.     HT-EXT

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Re: WO36 delay and phasing?
Reply #1 - 03/21/06 at 15:41:58

I know you try to think and nothing happens, but do it again, anyway. Smiley

That sounds about right. I can't remember what I set mine at over 2 months ago, but I remember bnew63 had about 5M delay, so 14' is kind of similar. Try reversing the phase and try again. Remember the cab takes almost a U-turn inside and there is a group delay associated with a 4th order alignment. Reverse phase on mine helped a lot and the delay was less. Trust your ears, too.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/21/06 at 15:57:25

when you say reverse phase Dawg, do you mean you wired your entire wo out of phase with the rest of the system? Or do you mean that you wired one drive out of phase?

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/21/06 at 16:22:40

OMG! Don't wire the WO drivers out of phase with each other!

I changed both (actually all 8, 2 iso loaded WO's) drivers, still in phase with each other, but out of phase with the rest of the system.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/21/06 at 17:19:04

The phase adjustment on the amp is a dial(potentiometer) not a switch so adjustment is easy(0 to 180). If I set the dial to 180 would that not be the same as reversing the wires? Plus I am only running two Daytons in parallel to the amp. Does anyone have the formula for converting feet to milliseconds or some kind of delay formula? I need to confuse myself as best as possible with more numbers. Oh yeah, Thanks for the reply DIRTDAWG.

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/21/06 at 17:25:07

Did it sound wrong before you measured it?  Just wondering, the delay has never bothered me.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/21/06 at 17:59:24

The delay is hard to notice BASSBOY but if I am going to all this trouble it is going to be adjusted correctly. Plus if you have other subs they will have phasing issues also. I use the WO more than any other sub so it is basically my reference to adjust all the other sub's phase. If one is off all of them could be out of adjustment with the HT. When I seen the set up for the sub at 14ft. that meant the WO should be located on top of my TV. That is when the flag went up and the delay became an issue. It's a hobby like everything else and it's fun to tinker but tinker in the right direction.    HT-EXT

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/21/06 at 18:47:27

When used with other subs it is certainly going to be an issue.  Reversing polarity along with adjustments to the phase control on the amp should get you close if not perfect timing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print