Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 15:39:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to run WO directly off amp? (Read 10121 times)
buggers
Ex Member

How to run WO directly off amp?
03/24/06 at 12:13:14

I Have a Paradigm X-30 and I want to run the WO directly off the power amp into the XO. There is no line outs on the amp, just speaker outs. Is there a way to go from the speaker out to the line in of the XO?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Re: How to run WO directly off amp?
Reply #1 - 03/24/06 at 13:03:34

Yes  If I understand you want to take high level outputs and turn them into low level RCA inputs.

Some install shops have them as well as places like wall mart.
I do not think very highly of them (IMHO) but I have used them at  times.

If you live in a large city you should be able to find them pretty easy.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/24/06 at 13:39:58

hmmm
i run my sub amp from my headphone out on my fullrange amp. fortunately it's a VERY old model and doesn't have something like a highpass for the heaphones.
it can't be the happiest choice to use a line converter.
you have a separate amp for the wo, right ?

IP Logged
buggers
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/24/06 at 15:13:35

Yes I have the Adcom 555's Preamp and amp. The amp has no line outs only speaker cable outputs. Maybe I can a line out from the preamp to line in of the XO, Line out of XO to line in of the amp, speaker out of amp to WO? What do you think?

I hate the plate amp because it allows too much of the extra frequencies in and trashes the sound.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/24/06 at 16:46:40

so your original ideea was to convert the speaker signal, run it through the x-over and the into the amp ? sounds like a horrible loop.
the adcom amp and preamp are 2 separate units ? if so, you can put the x-over between the preamp and the amp.
otherwise, put the x-over between the source and the amp.

IP Logged
Learner_UK
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/25/06 at 15:08:31

Shouldnt the chain be: Pre amp out >>> XO >>> power amp >>> speaker? or am i missing something?

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/25/06 at 15:34:16

Alright you have 4 components here, source, pre, XO, and amp.

You want the music to go:
source - pre - XO - amp - speakers.

(assuming the XO is active.)

RCAs go from.  
Source Line Out - Pre Amp Line In
Pre Amp Line Out - XO line In
XO Line Out - Amp Line In

Then simply conect your speakers to the amp's power terminals.

your amp doesn't need line outs unless you are tri amping or bi-amping the subs.  The line out on amps are generally altered by the amp's built in xo settings anyways, and are therefore junk.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/25/06 at 15:40:15

Would something like this work?

This is a pro audio direct box. "Direct Box" is what the musicians call it either from hi to low or speaker to line or almost any configuration you can think of. I doubt if it would work since it's for balanced inputs and would need another adapter, but maybe they have something you could use if you call or email.

And another. I have not tried any of these, but I know they're out there if you need one.

Good luck.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/25/06 at 15:49:05

It sounds like we are trying to get you to 2 different places. Why not give us some more info about your set up, concerns, and needs.
What are you doing for full range power?
It seems to me you are set for mains and want to add a sub without introducing anything into the path of the main fullrange amp. Tell us more.

IP Logged
buggers
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/27/06 at 13:41:27

There is one amp driving mains and separate amp for the sub.I forgot to mention that this is for a home stereo setup. I have built a WO with the standard 250 watt plate amp with XO built in, but it does not stop the upper frequencies from coming through thereby trashing the sound.
I currently have the speaker wires going from the power amp into the plate amp on the WO, and I would like to remove the plate amp from the sub and use my 600 watt Adcom in Mono mode to drive the WO but I need to somehow go through the Paradigm XO that only has RCA jacks. The XO has to be injected after the preamp.
 Maybe there is some kind of adapter that goes from speaker wires to rca, or I can put the XO in between the Preamp and amp? Thanks All!

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/27/06 at 16:36:18

which plate amp do you have?

Depending on the slope of the XO, you may have to cracnk down to its lowest frequecies.  Also, it may not be a lowpass, but a very low highpass to keep those really low lows out.

I take it your power amp has no rca outs at all.  Is it an amp, or an all-in-one unit?

IP Logged
brians7
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/01/06 at 03:06:53

Call me and we can talk about it I have a xo and have used 555 My # is 409 899 3807

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print