Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 07:58:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you position them ? (Read 8673 times)
franksmith
Ex Member

How do you position them ?
02/16/06 at 01:15:45

I'm playing with the positionment of my hdt.

It would be nice from the hdt owners to give a small description of their positionment in their listening room with the room size.

Are you listening to them directly focused or focused on your back or in front of you ?

I'm not a fan of theses super synthetic soundstage so I tend to keep them relatively close together, what about you ?

IP Logged
crazy bill the eel killer
Ex Member

Re: How do you position them ?
Reply #1 - 02/16/06 at 02:28:16

Hello Franksmith,

I have room restrictions, so I can't do exactly what I want.
But here's my recommendations.

LISTEN NEARFIELD. Put the speakers approx 8 ft apart, and sit approx 4-5 ft away. Toe the speakers in to about 15 degrees off axis to the listening position.

Just a STARTING POINT. Experiment, and see what works for you. I am a firm believer in near field listening though.

Happy listening,               Bill         Cheesy

IP Logged
franksmith
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/16/06 at 02:39:00

By listening to speaker in this position you don't feel that a signer is like 10 foot wide ?

I used to listen to my quad in near field but was so so satisfied.

Yesturday the hdt where 8 feets distanced and I was 9 feets from them.

Tonight I tried to squeeze them to 6 feets between them and I'm sitting at 10 feets and it's pretty interesting.

IP Logged
crazy bill the eel killer
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/16/06 at 12:20:55

Hello franksmith,

To answer your question, absolutely not.
What is does do, for me, is to increase the size of the soundstage. I have not noticed any increase in the size of the individual locations.

Near field listening typically doesn't work for large multi-ways, line arrays, and large panel systems. I'm not surprised you didn't like it with the Quads.

Play around, use what works best in your room.

Bill                   Grin

IP Logged
RobLikesTubes
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/18/06 at 15:26:35

My room is 12X13.  
The HDTs are on the short wall.
22" from rear wall.
26" from side walls.
Approx. 7' apart measuring from the middle of drivers
Listening position just under 8' away.
I have them just slightly toed-in to where the inside passives are just  barely visible  from the  drivers  seat.
They cross just  slightly  behind  my head.
I  have slightly  longer  spikes  in the  front, creating a modest slant back.

I  have  experimented  with a  lot of placement options, and  this  is  by  far the  most  satisfying placement. The room is not that big, so I locked in  on this position  pretty  soon after  breaking  them  in. I  have  not  moved  them  other  than slight toe-in/out  in over a  year.

I  also have  a Sunfire True Sub, Jr. - it  is placed directly  between the  speakers. Crossed at about 42hz, level set to 0db gain, phase set to zero, and only turned on for heavier
rock and more demanding classical  works.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/18/06 at 17:21:31

I have the exact same setup as Rob except my room is 13x15 so I have 8 feet between speakers. The rest is the same Smiley Oh I have a sub too set up the same and used on the same material (heavy rock/big symphony) only. Uncany Sad

RapLikesTubes. (uh having a personality chrysis) Smiley

IP Logged
RobLikesTubes
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/18/06 at 18:34:19

Rap...
There  must  be a  tear  in the  universe via  a  black  hole in my avatar leading to  some sort of strange  parallel existence.
???

that, or  great minds/ears  think alike....

here are  some  older pics  of the  room,  prior  to the  addition
of  the PS  Audio P600, and the center  placement of  the  sub.    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/loosingitt1/detail?.dir=/36ec&.dnm=b853.jpg&.src=p...

IP Logged
franksmith
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/20/06 at 02:15:39

My own room is about 25' long by 15'

The speakers are about 38" from the back wall caused by a door.

I may switch the side of the room I use to be able to put them closer to the back wall.

One side of the room is open to a hall in a 45 degree angle so it's a pretty big open space.

Probably why I didn't found a 2-3 watts amplifier enough to go in higher spl.

Actualy I left only 6 foots between the 2 speakers and install myself only at 8-9 foots from them to try the near field solution.

At 6 foots of distance I found the sound stage to be too irealistic (larger than real life, way too much seperation to have a singer localisable and full body). My new configuration is pleasing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print