Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 09:46:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone stuffed a DB? (Read 6762 times)
chrometsuba
Ex Member

Has anyone stuffed a DB?
01/27/06 at 01:34:22

Im considering building a 12" DB for my car, just wondering if anyone has tried stuffing the sealed chamber with polyfill/fibreglass to reduce the physical volume size?

Most other enclosure sites say the reduction is aprox 1/3....

any thoughts?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: Has anyone stuffed a DB?
Reply #1 - 01/27/06 at 13:28:07

well, stuffing causes a "virtual" increase in the size of the sealed chamber. you can make the box smaller and add polyfill to make it look bigger. but i say build it as close as possible to specs and if you haven't got rooom for the db-12 and don't own a 12, i'd say build the db-10. it's smaller and the diffrence i noticed is that the 12 goes a bit lower.

IP Logged
chrometsuba
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/27/06 at 20:52:02

I currently have two Audiobahn AW1251T subs, and a single ancient MTX Terminator XS 10".  Im in the process of building a DBII for the MTX, but eventualy I would like to use the audiobahns for something.  The stock 12" DB does fit in my trunk, but id rather not give up that much room if I can help it.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/27/06 at 22:14:54

[quote author=chrometsuba  link=1138329262/0#2 date=1138395122]I currently have two Audiobahn AW1251T subs, and a single ancient MTX Terminator XS 10".  Im in the process of building a DBII for the MTX, but eventualy I would like to use the audiobahns for something.  The stock 12" DB does fit in my trunk, but id rather not give up that much room if I can help it. [/quote]

if you clamshelled your 'bhans' and made the sealed end of the db as small as possible after slideing the baffle down close to the end 1.5", it might fit, and sound excellent.obviously youd loose the ability to tune the box, but you would get most of the excellence out of it.

IP Logged
chrometsuba
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/28/06 at 01:06:06

=)

I was thinking of building a stock one, finding the baffle placement, and then either sawing off the end, or just building a second shorter box.  Is the DB sensitive to the sealed end being out of size?  from my other boxes that i have built, the open end is more in need of tweeking (like in a 4th order BP)

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/29/06 at 07:24:21

all the tweaking needed is done by adjusting the insert and rounding all the edges. the db-10 with stuffing seemed too loose a bit of punch, so i removed the fill. i didn't try fill in my db-12.
you can evem make the sealed part larger, but you would loose that phenomenal control.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print