Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/19/24 at 00:02:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Digital Cables, Is Three A Difference (Read 165 times)
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Digital Cables, Is Three A Difference
05/05/24 at 20:23:52

I just had an interesting experience that I thought was worth sharing...

I signed up for Qobuz.  Since my sound room is still in progress I started a playlist that I could take with me.  To test it I hooked my iPhone 14 Pro Max to the car system, which actually is a pretty good system.  SQ was thin and bass shy.  Oh well, it's only for the car and only from the iPhone, so while not entirely pleased I wasn't about to pursue this any further.

Except, the USBC to Lightning cable that came with the iPhone was too long so I ordered a cheap, one foot cable from Amazon.  Received two for $12.00 delivered.  Tested it to make sure that it would do data transfer as advertised and... WTH!

Played the entire play list.  Indeed the body/density had improved markedly and the bass was fuller.  This was completely unexpected and a pleasant surprise.  The cable is braided and on the packaging one of the statements says; "Special product materials support large-current input and output".  

This is not the first time that I encountered an obvious difference between digital cables.  If I dig into this a little deeper I'll just frustrate myself so, I'll gladly just settle for this unexpected end result.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Digital Cables, Is Three A Difference
Reply #1 - 05/05/24 at 21:28:00

Here's my thing (and full discloser, networking was my day job for many years).

People think loading a website and playing digital music are the same thing: that bits is bits. But clearly the are not. When you are doing something like loading a website both the input and the output are bits, and it this case bits really are bits. And if some of the bits get delayed or corrupted the computer is perfectly happy to wait until they are correct, because (mostly) a computer doesn't care about time.

But when you are playing digital music bits are really an analog representation of a square wave that is propagated through an imperfect medium. The "digital" part of digital music is there is a specific voltage that marks the transition between 0 and 1, but what that voltage looks like after it has been through your cables and across your connectors and interacted with all the electro-magnetic noise in your vicinity can be very different from the cartoons we've seen of bits when they tell us bits is bits. And when exactly that transition from 0 to 1 occurs determines what the output musical wave form looks like. Or put another way time matters critically to digital audio.

So if you stop thinking about digital music as bits and start thinking about it as an analog signal, just like the rest of your system, things start to make a lot more sense. At least to me, YMMV of course.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/06/24 at 01:21:15

CAJames, that is one of the most layman friendly and succinct explanations I have ever read.
Old network guy or not you've offered lots for us to work with. Along with Joman's observations about how some of the simplest things make huge differences.

I learned long ago how better cabling can improve "things" up to certain points. Some easy understanding for me about plain digital signals came from just my simple movie rig where a standard HDMI compared to even a median Audio Quest upgrade made a world of difference, both vid and audio, from switching in one higher grade cable.

I can barely wait to get things back together in my system and upgrade soon my digital source. My digital cables are half decent now, but who knows how far I can continue to find improvements.

Thank you for takng the time to bring some of us simpheads into the fold with higher expectations and even more to work toward.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/06/24 at 16:11:23

What CAJames has explained is the conclusion that I have come to after working "digital" for some time.  So much so that, for me, "digital" is no longer stigmatized with the negative stereotype of early digital.  I find as much satisfaction from it as I did with my previous analogue set up which was no slouch even by today's standards.

The shocking part for me was the difference that a charging/data transfer cable made even with an iPhone in the car system!  Totally unexpected.  The reason for the purchase was not to improve SQ just to shorten the cable length.  

This further goes to validate that cables, analogue, digital or ethernet make a difference.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print