Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/03/24 at 10:59:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Colorless vs color added DAC paired with Decware (Read 957 times)
TexJ
Verified Member

Colorless vs color added DAC paired with Decware
12/28/23 at 02:09:24

I've read the warm (no pun intended) reviews for DACs like Denafrips which adds warmth to the sound.  

I am curious if anyone has paired a colorless DAC & preamp upstream from their Decware amp?  Specifically I am curious about Benchmark's DACs and line amps upstream from a Decware amp and how it sounds vs any DAC & preamp which adds to the sound.  

Merry Christmas everyone.  - J

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Colorless vs color added DAC paired with Decware
Reply #1 - 12/28/23 at 15:30:12

I'm familiar with Benchmark's DACs by reputation, but I've never heard one in real life.  And I can't think of any of the usual posters around here who have one, although I may very well be wrong. I'll say this in general, there is no reason you can't build a satisfying system around Decware and any high quality DAC, but your satisfaction is going to depend on your taste and the rest of your system including your room. Let me give you (briefly) my digital journey as an example.

Before I discovered Decware I had a fully Stereophile approved system (Audio Research and Pass Labs) that I thought was pretty much last word in transparency. And I had what I thought was a nice DAC/SACD player for digital, specifically a Yamaha CD S2100. But when I got my UFOs I was blown away by how much more transparent and resolving they were  then my previous amp, and they started to show the limitations of my digital front end. Not that there were obvious problems, it was more that the Yamaha (which was a little on the warm side) wasn't a good as I thought. What sounded like "smooth analog detail" on my previous system was really a digital veil, what I think of as "air-brushed detail" with the higher resolution Decware amps. This lead me to a massive upgrade of my digital front end, which you can see in my sig. And it has held up very well, esp. after recently replacing my UFOs with UFO25s, that are even more transparent and resolving.

So it isn't about "warm" IMO (and I would quibble with the idea that Denafrips adds warmth). If you have a Decware amp you have a lot of control over "warm" by the tubes you choose. It is about synergy between your different components and your room, and what Steve calls the weak link(s) in your system. Because with a Decware amp you will hear the rest of your system like you never have before, for better or for worse.

HTH.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 12/28/23 at 15:46:37

I would echo what James says about the amps' transparency and revealing all the other components and pieces in your system. The Decware amps are not "warm" by nature. Tube rolling can add some warmth, and you can roll away from a warm sound as well.

I had a similar journey to James and went with zigs and zags til I found my PS Audio DACs and transports which my Decware components reveal to be "just right" for my taste and rooms.

I have not heard Benchmark DACs either. They have a good reputation and interestingly (probably why you ask) are said to be very neutral in character.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
TexJ
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/28/23 at 16:45:09

Thanks for both of your responses. This Decware (Torii Jr) is going to be my first tube amp.

IP Logged
JMeader

Reply #4 - 12/28/23 at 17:17:57

I have the Torii Jr V2 as of mid year 2023.

I found getting a Schit Freya S ( non tube ) was a benefit due to increased gain it provides my Torii Jr V2. This combo has more than enough volume  and remote volume control - normal is less than 50% on the Freya S and my Torii at 50% volume

I recently added A Pontus 2 12th-1 Dac The overall combo provides a great sound stage, with depth and clarity.

My source is a Win 10 PC using Audirvana Studio ( USB connection to Pontus) which receives up-scaled digital data stream

Your Torii Jr V2 will need 2-300 hours to settle in - I used a play list at low volume to accomplished this. BTW the Pontus 2 needed about the same  time to settle also

Be sure and let us all know as you enjoy your new amp

The best part of Decware Products is you get to Enjoy the music versus worrying about your system Smiley

CD's Digitized via Exact Copy
Music Files read by Audirvana Studio
on Win10 PC
Sent to Pontus 2 12th -1 via USB
out XLR to Schiit Frya S PreAmp
Torii Jr V2
to fully updated 1987 La Scala's
  IP Logged
TexJ
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/08/24 at 02:20:56

There are too many positive reviews for the Pontus for me to ignore.  I just have to bite the bullet and get a preamp too.  I plan on pairing this set up with the new Caladans.  Can't wait.

J

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 01/08/24 at 03:24:55

I think you'll be very happy with the Pontus. Keep us posted as your system comes together.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #7 - 01/08/24 at 05:18:38

I want to jump in with James, as a Pontus owner myself, I  consider it as one of my best buys. I am sure you will like it 👍 Good luck with the system!

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
TexJ
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/27/24 at 03:29:12

So I haven't said no to the Pontus but I have another system. This other system has a streamer directly feeding a Denafrips Apollo amp.  Since I have another year to wait for my Decware amp, I went ahead and got the Benchmark Dac 3 L. I wanted to add subs to the other system so I had to purchase a preamp set up.  The DAC 3L comes with enough audio outs to make this happen.  I'll let y'all know how it performs.

I can't use high level input with the Denafrips amp, this limited my options.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #9 - 04/27/24 at 15:34:30

That's very interesting. I know a lot of (on-line) people with Denafrips DACs but I don't remember anyone with an amp. I would imagine your 3L will sound really nice with the Apollo amp.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print