Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 03:16:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Voskhod 6N1P-EV gone noisy (Read 176 times)
Sai

Voskhod 6N1P-EV gone noisy
04/07/24 at 20:34:50

Just had one of my 6N1P-EV tubes go noisy. Started with a “popcorn” fizzy sound, then a “tick” and then the occasional “pop.” Easy to tell when the amp is on with nothing playing….

Lasted about 825 hrs. Must be a lemon or something. The 6N1P on the other channel still seems to be humming along fine.

These are the ones in the back of my Torii.

Anyone else have these go out? Generally they seem to have a stellar reputation.

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Voskhod 6N1P-EV gone noisy
Reply #1 - 04/07/24 at 21:36:51

Sadly, when you have a tube amp you have to take the bad with the good. FWIW the only tube that I've had fail (knock on wood) in my UFO/UFO25s is a high dollar Mullard GZ34 that should have outlived me. But that's the thing with tubes, you just never know.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Sai

Reply #2 - 04/07/24 at 21:44:47

Thanks CAJames…. I see it as an opportunity to finally try a different tube guilt free  8-) Cool

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 04/07/24 at 22:38:02

Russian tubes in general, unless you have a large batch to select from and test and use only the best testing, are sort of a surprise. Surprise if you get 2,000 or more hours out of them, or a surprisingly bad result when you don't want one.

I've had the best luck with those that come from Steve either with the amp or off his tube for sale page. That said I have about twenty plus pairs that I collected over the years gasthering dust, and only one amp that uses that tube! So if a tube starts to age, I replace it at the first pop or fizzy noise and every three or four months I'll compare a tube in use to one that has just a few hundred hours on and see if the sounds are in the same. ballpark. I find that there's a period of time that the tube starts to sound suboptimal before it really gets bad and fails. I tend to get a year to 16 months or so out of a pair.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Sai

Reply #4 - 04/07/24 at 23:20:34

Thanks Lon. Yep these failed out of the blue to be honest. Well failed as in started to make weird noises at times. It was a solid performer until then.

These are the tubes I got with the amp. I’ve had the amp maybe for a little over two years with around 850 hrs of use. In total agreement that it’s a game of err “Russian Roulette” with these Russian tubes….

I put in a pair of 6N1P-E black anode triple mica tubes in there now. They’re now going to be in there till it’s time for them to go.

Thankful 6N1P family of tubes are plentiful and still reasonably priced for the most part…

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print