Send Topic Print
I feel guilty (Read 557 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

I feel guilty
04/02/24 at 17:11:37

I hear so much, like going from the naked eye to a telescope, actually more like the James Web...  if you're not careful it could blow your brain.  What?  Standing in the listening room listening to music that is so well produced and layered out that it is humbling to say the least.  The first time you hear a recording pop the way it was intended makes you realize that either there are a lot of happy accidents in the creation of music, or music is super human.  

I stand here listening in awe because I've never heard music sound this good at 10:58 in the morning, or any time actually.  The feeling is awe for the artists and producers and guilt for hearing music sound this good when I know we're all trying to achieve it and at best usually only graze the surface.

What I am hearing feels like it was stolen from the Gods.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: I feel guilty
Reply #1 - 04/02/24 at 17:55:05

Part of this is coming from something that happened with my hearing over the past several months...  my right ear had fluid (snot) in the inner ear that would come and go, but just touch the ear drum enough to start damping out the 5K and up stuff by about 2 dB or so.  At night it would get worse when sleeping.  It also feels like something is crawling in your ear like that Star Trek movie from time to time.  I finally went to the doctor and had them look at it to see if there was an infection and there was not.  No problems that they could detect.  Started talking to me about a possible hearing aid.

Instead I have spent the past 2 weeks working on my lungs to lessen the issue and I can now hear perfectly in that ear again.  I'm telling you this story because it is almost impossible to tell you have one ear that is a couple dB down in the top end because your brain is adjusting for it on the fly.  You actually have to test it.  Crumpled paper is an excellent test.  Should sound the same crumpled in front of each ear.  

Anyway, I choose to take a holistic approach to correcting the problem.  I could have easily been given drugs to lessen the snot and become a repeat customer while the problem never really goes away and then get talked into a hearing aid.

So it is a real thrill, as you might imagine, to be able to hear without the veil on the "right channel" that is constantly changing from hour to hour but never really completely going away.  I believe the ear becomes more sensitive during that time and after it is fixed you get super hearing for awhile until it adjusts to the new norm.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #2 - 04/02/24 at 20:28:06

>FirstWatt walks into the forum and sets down a boombox playing "... This magic moment..." and walks out<

;)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/02/24 at 22:46:11

That sounds like what happens to me when fairly advanced listening fatigue sneaks up on me... thinking the ear canal gets inflamed and puts out some liquid to help protect itself. I am pretty sure when this happens for me is when the bass is a little thick/undefined, probably especially deeper bass. I have to get sort of intellectual about it because it can sound pretty good, maybe a little heavy handed, but pretty complete and real, and still be beating me up. Usually happens to only one ear too, and not necessarily the same one. Whatever the cause, I know the feeling of crazy super hearing... when things heal. If I am doing a lot of experimenting, I can even have super hearing with minor fatigue in place... damped a little, but somehow still "hearing" pretty nuanced stuff. Always makes me wonder about how much is the ear, and how much are other vibrations/perceptions that we equate with "hearing."

Anyway, glad you are well and hearing the big beauty!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/05/24 at 11:36:36

Hmmmmm, should I jump in the car and witness this guilt. Will my car be packed with headwrecker plans on the return trip Smiley

Hey east coast, anyone ready for a road trip?

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #5 - 04/15/24 at 16:22:53

JBzen- you absolutely should! We are really rocking and rolling in the listening room these days! ... and I LOVE meeting our customers face to face, especially forum members!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/16/24 at 10:25:13

Keep playing those Head Wreckers so to be well seasoned when I mosey out that way. Looking forward too!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print