Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 19:34:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii MK V - Now left channel faint (Read 435 times)
Sai

Torii MK V - Now left channel faint
04/11/24 at 22:28:17

Sai again with my Torii 5. I actually just got my amp back from the mother ship a few weeks ago. I had sent it in at the time with a blown right channel. That was due to a faulty 807 adapter blowing up a resistor on the right channel output socket. Now the left channel is very faint.

Not sure what happened. Things were working just fine. I shut off the amp, and then came back after a while to turn it one again and found the left channel to not be working. You can hear a very faint amount of sound from it.

I checked all the upstream components and those check out.
When I swap left and right inputs, the problem is still on the left channel.

When I swapped tubes to a known good pair, still the left a problem.
When I swapped ALL the tubes between channels, still the left channel not working.

I switched the speaker cables and connected the left speaker to the right output and the speaker sounded fine. The right speaker that was now connected to the left channel is now very faint.

Anyone have any ideas?

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
cmdc

Re: Torii MK V - Now left channel faint
Reply #1 - 04/11/24 at 23:34:17

This may sound dumb, but when I’ve experienced a near-identical sounding problem a few times, I ultimately traced it each time to something causing a short along my speaker cable—particularly if I was using large gauge (8/9 AWG) cable with too little shielding. The problem was sometimes another wire crossing the cable, the cable crossing too close to another EM source, or—in at least a couple of instances—an almost imperceptible kink in the cable itself.  In the admittedly unlikely event that this is the source of your problem too, simply switching the cables at the amp would, as it did for you, just shift the problem between the speakers.

In light of this, you might want to try reinstalling the left speaker wires again altogether and double-checking the cable path for possible shorts.  Again, there’s a good chance this won’t work for you; but trying it has the advantage of being fast, easy, and cheap.

Carroll

Main:[[TD124 [Koetsu RWS>SME 3009S2Imp][Aidas Durawood>Moerch DP6]][TD124 [Ortofon A90>Kuzma 4Pt9]]>Ned Clayton Cinemag SUT>Dodd Audio Phono Stage>ZRock2][SonicTransporter i7>Mytek Brooklyn Bridge]>ZSB>ZMA>[Zu Druid Mk V][Caintuck Lii 15 OBs/Bass Baffle]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 04/11/24 at 23:49:29

Here are some questions:

Do the left channel tubes light up?

Do they bias properly?

Did you try replacing the left channel rectifier fuses?

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Sai

Reply #3 - 04/12/24 at 00:19:13

Hi, the tubes do light up and bias normally. I even get very low amounts of sound.

Regarding fuses, I tried swapping the left main fuse (not rectifier) with the right one. Same story, bad left channel, good right channel. Didn’t they the rectifier fuse because the rectifier does light up.

On the speaker wire comment, when I swapped the two channels to test my speakers to check if they were the issue, was able to rule that out.

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
Sai

Reply #4 - 04/12/24 at 02:19:19

Ok so Steve recommended that I swap out all the tubes and it sounded fine. And then I noticed this loose pin on the socket saver. Dang thing! Last time it was a bum 807 to 6L6 adapter.

I’m going to replace all these cheap savers and adapters for good ones….

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #5 - 04/12/24 at 03:41:29

Quote:
Posted by: Sai      Posted on: Today at 16:19:13

Regarding fuses...Didn’t they the rectifier fuse because the rectifier does light up.

I'm glad you got to the bottom of this. But for future reference there are 2 difference circuits that involve the rectifier. A low voltage/high current circuit that makes the tubes light up, and a high voltage/low current circuit that goes through the rectifier to the plates of the signal tubes. And the rectifier fuse is for the second circuit. In other words, just because the rectifier lights up doesn't mean the rectifier fuse is good.

But hopefully you'll never have to worry about this.

IP Logged
Sai

Reply #6 - 04/13/24 at 05:23:23

Thanks CAJames. Appreciate the explanation there. Will definitely keep it in mind for the future. I’m with you, hope it’s never an issue again 😊

Getting my socket savers from Deyan. So from that perspective too, retiring the cheapies I’m using now.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #7 - 04/13/24 at 16:47:30

Hey Sai,

I searched for Deyan and/or Deyan socket saver but could not find anything.  Do you have a link, or perhaps a different spelling?

Thanks

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 04/13/24 at 17:15:33

Quote:
Posted by: Tony      Posted on: Today at 08:47:30

...Deyan...

He's on head-fi.org, you can message him there.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1711714035

IP Logged
Sai

Reply #9 - 04/13/24 at 20:07:00

Hi Tony, CAJames is right.

Also, in my correspondence with him, he mentioned it was ok to share his email address. So here it is:

gaara234@mail.bg

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #10 - 04/14/24 at 00:33:18

Hi Sai and James, I was able to contact Deyan this afternoon and put in an order for socket savers. I had been using inexpensive ones, but after giving it more thought I thought it would be best to step it up. Thanks for tip.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Sai

Reply #11 - 04/15/24 at 04:37:35

Awesome! Yep, I ordered 8 socket savers for 9 pin tubes from him because my preamp uses 4 as does the Torii.

Deyan will be staying busy 😁

One question, to the group. My Octal tube savers are super tight. Basically when I try to take the output tube out to roll in a new set, it’s basically popping out. I wish there was a better solution/a socket saver that was a little more “forgiving” without of course being a problem.
Is this y’all’s experience as well? Any recommendations on Octal tube savers? If not, in some time, I was going to ask Deyan to make me a set.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 04/15/24 at 15:09:21

Re: octal socket savers. I've bought several from these guys and have been very happy:

https://www.ebay.com/str/noviktube/Savers/_i.html?store_cat=43498818011

It looks like the price has gone up since my last purchase, but they are very high quality.

Also, I've always used just a tiny bit of DeoxIT on my tube pins until a couple years ago when I switched to this stuff:

https://www.madscientist-audio.com/contact-enhancer/

Either will lubricate the pins as well as improving the electrical connection between the tube and socket.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print