Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 00:07:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Denafrips Ares12th-1 with SE84UFO25 (Read 520 times)
DrWongKC
Verified Member

Denafrips Ares12th-1 with SE84UFO25
03/08/24 at 15:55:02

Hello! Has anyone tried the Ares12th-1 with the SE84UFO25 amplifier?

I'm looking at around this budget range for the DAC and have a preference for what the reviewers have described this DAC to be.

However, there's an issue of high output impedance of the DAC at 625Ω on RCA.

I understand that the SE84UFO series of amps uses a passive pre-amp (I'll connect the DAC directly to the input of UFO25 amp), would this be a bad match?

Thank you. Hopefully someone who have tried this combination or Steve from Decware could reply. Other replies are welcomed too!!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Denafrips Ares12th-1 with SE84UFO25
Reply #1 - 03/08/24 at 17:36:39

I've been using a Denafrips Ares 2 for years now with both my Torii III and my ZKIT60 with no issues. No preamp, just RCA'ed into them.

While this didn't answer your question directly, I really don't see any reason to not think that it would work.

The only thing that will happen is you will hear magic come out of your speakers.

I've been a hardcore Decware-Denafrips combination fanboy for years!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
DrWongKC
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/09/24 at 03:41:05

Noted on it, thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. Smiley

IP Logged
DrWongKC
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/09/24 at 04:08:02

hey Donnie,

btw may I know how you'd describe the bass performance of the Denafrips DAC when used with a Decware?

I'm asking this as reviewers have been saying the Ares isn't strong in its bass department, it does everything else greatly especially sound staging and space, air. but bass is reasonably important to me haha, and I'm hoping not to use a subwoofer.

Thank you.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 03/09/24 at 17:27:26

Quote:
Posted by: DrWongKC      Posted on: Yesterday at 20:08:02

...btw may I know how you'd describe the bass performance of the Denafrips DAC when used with a Decware?

Not Donnie and I have a Terminator, not an Ares, but I can say that my experience and that of many other online friends is that the bass is "honest" rather than "awesome." You can see my system in my sig and the bass in my smallish is room is plenty for e.g. Pink Floyd The Wall or Bach organ music. But I'm not a "bass head" and don't listen to electronic music or sound tracks with a lot of really low bass or sub bass.

For me, no way would I trade all the stuff the Denafrips DAC does well for more bass but of course that is JMO/YMMV and all that. I don't know what your digital setup is like but one option that works for a lot of other people is using digital EQ to tweak the sound to your liking. That might be something to investigate if you aren't getting enough bass without adding a sub.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 03/09/24 at 20:23:21

Well DRWONG, I have plenty of bass in my system, well at least depending on what speakers I have in place at the time.

Another thing is that my amps are 25 or 60 watts each. Way more oomph to belt some bass out than your 3 watts will be able to.

The Denafrips just sounds so much better than any of the other DAC's I have had. Better than the Wyred 4 Sound, better than the way old Decware one, better than the other one's I've owned that I completely forgotten about.

I haven't even thought about going up the food chain in the Denafrips line.
I may some day, but never felt the need up to this point.

But bass with any of my speakers in my current rotation, is completely fine for my usage.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
DrWongKC
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 03/10/24 at 03:40:47

hey thanks CAJames and Donnie for the reply! I'm not exactly a bass head. Sounds like Denafrips aren't bass anemic, so that's good to hear!

Have a great weekend!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/16/24 at 07:38:56

I had an Ares II for a year and change. Loved that DAC. Bass was anything but anemic.  I figure the latest version will be even better. You’ll be fine.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
DrWongKC
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 03/16/24 at 08:59:21

I'm really happy to hear that! Sounds like a DAC that could last me a long while, which is exactly what I. Thanks for the reply again.  [smiley=50.gif]

IP Logged
bobc

Reply #9 - 03/16/24 at 15:02:15

My office system is a decware clone and omega full rangers. I just upgraded from a Node feeding a topping e30 to Denafrips Ares12th. It was a huge upgrade. I use the coax input. NOS mode. I have  no other frame of reference for DACs. That said I cannot imagine needing “more” for a while if ever.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print