Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
analog nirvana (Read 439 times)
1stwattlife

analog nirvana
02/23/24 at 21:27:59

[Door opens and creaks as it is knocked upon]

Me: Uhhh... Hello?
      I hear this is where the tapeheads live?
      I was reading the application and noticed that there was no "Honorary" membership checkbox? Is this a typo? I don't have some of the prereq's.. but, I am a true believer!

It happened like this...

I have the honor of working in this fine establishment (Decware) which affords me certain benefits. One of these benefits is that Steve is now one of my high fidelity experience train conductors. Over the last several months during our listening sessions we have been inching further and further up the source quality spectrum. The first notable step was in the direct comparison of four release versions of "Aja" by Steely Dan.

I preface this with my personal history of this album. I am not in love with this album. However, it is a primary point of reference for audiophiles, so I decided to familiarize myself with it for reference purposes. I did not know or expect this situation to occur as it did. I figured I would mosey into a hifi shop and at least be able to speak fluently enough on the album to convince someone I almost knew what I was talking about. Suddenly, I am in a room with true high fidelity gear and a spattering of these albums. I believe it was the 1977 AA release/ 1977 Mofi/ 20XX remaster/ UHQR. It was eye opening, but that is for another thread.

A few weeks later, Steve busted out some sample acetates. Nothing to note on the subject matter, just an initial observation of the medium. There are some interesting observations to be made here... again, for another time. Of note in the conversations we had on the subject came the topic of preserving the media from an acetate, as there are very limited plays available for this format at its initial fidelity. A digital dsd copy could made, but a tape backup would be a prime setup.  

Tape.

My initial intro to rock and roll came from my older brother digging out my dads old R2R and tapes when I was young enough to not have permission to touch it... Dad was a DJ on an aircraft carrier in the Navy and copied the records he had access to onto reels which sat in the bottom of a closet for a very long time.

One evening as things were slowing down and there were only myself, Steve, and our friend Tim bopping around the shop, Steve got out a tape he said sounded really good. I have debated listing the tape subject, but, ultimately it does not matter. It could have just been some guy down the street recording a jam session with his buddies... but, the presentation of the recording blew my mind.

Occasionally you will hear people talk about sound so good that it it sounds as if the band or instrument are in the room with you. I love this. It makes me happy just to experience it... There is another level to this phenomenon. When the source/system is soooo good that the room you are in is almost overwritten with magical sound qualities that transform your room into the room that the recording was made in.

Next.
Level.

There is an effect of the various sensory systems of the body to be noted here (and frankly in almost all conversations about the Decware experiece, but I digress)..

synesthesia—when people hear colors, taste sounds, or feel numbers—tells us that in some cases the (sensory) crosstalk can be intense. Even though we're not always aware of it, the crosstalk between our senses is constant, and it significantly informs our experiences.

[from: https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/senses/worktogether#:~:text=Examples%20o...
f%20synesthesia%E2%80%94when%20people,it%20significantly%20informs%20our%20exper
iences.]

It happens. I believe this is one of the key features of high fidelity.

I almost (still weeks later) cannot put this experience into words. It fully, emotionally seemed that this gentleman, was in fact playing this song for ME in 2024. I was clearly sitting right next to this tape recorder capturing this first hand live experience. This tape was possibly recorded before I was born. The reproduction of the moments of time from another place recreated at will in the Decware listening room ( maybe it should be nicknamed TARDIS) was a pivotal hifi experience for me.

I kid you not... the emotional connection to the recording was visceral. Intense. There were several notable moments in this experience, but the most notable happened almost synchronously with the realization of dimensional shift happening in the room as I could so easily visualize myself being projected there feet from the artist. It could only be likened to something like a magical mushroom-esque peak experience ( from what I have heard from the internet).

I do not have a high end tape machine. I do have an old Akai. It came with a tape I have not figured out how to play yet (could be a 4 track tape on a 2 track machine?) and a donated copy of a Cher album. I am not a tapehead, currently, but figured this might qualify me for the newsletter or an 'Honorary' membership. I guess I really don't need an official Tapehead card... it would be cool though. lOl

This is it. My aforementioned tape experience thread. I am so thrilled to be able to finally relate to some of these concepts on a personal level. I am thankful everyday for my Decware high fidelity experience.

Thanks for sharing your time to read my crazy ramblings.

Phill

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: analog nirvana
Reply #1 - 02/24/24 at 12:54:22

Welcome to the fifth dimension Phill. What you described above is timing presented in a way that matches our quality of perception without overload.

We are 4th dimensional beings living in 3 dimensional space. Our senses are trained based in time to create a cognitive view of what is sensed. We cross into the 5th dimension when our senses trigger unfamiliar timed input based on nanoseconds. This will create what you referred to as moving into the room of the performance as compared to the performanced being in your space. This has been referred to as "being the mic" here on this forum.

When it happens for me, my senses are all combined between a set of ears. I do not feel, taste, smell, hear, or see any one thing. This happening places my being in a suspension of animation without movement in the normal sense of the word. The movement is created in a different manner of a conative norm that can overwhelm our sense of being; giving the euphoria we experience.

My two.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/24/24 at 14:43:02

Phill, I’m glad we got to chat at Decfest! I’ve enjoyed reading your other posts as well keep it up. The last few weeks I haven’t been very active on the forums, I still skim through almost every day.

I might have experienced synesthesia once or twice.

For me what is very common is ASMR triggers in a high resolution system. What is ASMR? I’ll let Grok explain:

ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, which is a fancy way of saying "brain tingles" or "brain massage." It's a pleasant, calming sensation that some people experience in response to certain audio or visual triggers. These triggers can be anything from whispering, tapping, or scratching sounds to watching someone perform a task in a meticulous manner.

Some people find ASMR videos to be a great way to relax, reduce stress, or even fall asleep. It's like a warm hug for your brain, but without the awkward social interaction! So, if you're feeling stressed or just want to unwind, you might want to give ASMR a try. Just don't blame me if you end up falling asleep at your desk.

When I listen to a high resolution system I get the brain tingles. It’s a soothing euphoric feeling. I’m not exactly sure what the trigger(s) are for me. I do know a high resolution system does it for me. I also get a similar yet different feeling during extended meditation sessions.

It’s addictive for me. When I mess something up with my system and it goes away I get a bit freaked out.

I asked Grok to list some common ASMR triggters:

Certainly! Here are some common ASMR triggers that many people find relaxing and enjoyable:

1. Whispering: Soft, gentle whispers can create a calming and soothing atmosphere.
2. Tapping or scratching: The sound of tapping or scratching on various surfaces can be a satisfying trigger for many individuals.
3. Personal attention: Role-playing scenarios where the ASMRtist provides personal attention, such as a haircut or a spa treatment, can be highly effective.
4. Page turning: The sound of pages being gently turned can be a subtle yet comforting trigger.
5. Mouth sounds: Sounds like lip-smacking, chewing, or eating can be a powerful trigger for some people.
6. Crinkling: The sound of paper, plastic, or other materials being crinkled can be a pleasing and relaxing trigger.
7. Brushing: The sound and sensation of hair being brushed or other gentle grooming activities can be very soothing.
8. Hand movements: Watching intricate hand movements, such as drawing or crafting, can be mesmerizing and relaxing.
9. White noise: Background sounds like rain, ocean waves, or a gentle breeze can create a calming environment for relaxation.
10. Role-playing: ASMRtists often create scenarios that involve role-playing, such as a visit to the doctor or a virtual shopping trip, which can be comforting and enjoyable for many people.

Remember, everyone's ASMR triggers are unique, and what works for one person may not work for another. It's a good idea to explore different types of ASMR content to find the triggers that work best for you.

Popping bubble wrap is a common one.

6-7 years ago I was at my buddys place and his kids were watching videos of people eating food. Mukbang videos I think they are called. I thought it was so bizarre. Especially when these videos get millions of views.

John, do you have any idea what exactly gets you into that space? I’ve had similar experiences. For me it’s different than the ASMR experience.

For the ASMR trigger for me, I think it’s when my brain is comfortably tricked into believing there is music-sound everywhere around me, even though I know it’s an illusion. My brain then says this is sweet let’s party and leans into the illusion and starts to gently hallucinate.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/25/24 at 10:27:30

Quote:
John, do you have any idea what exactly gets you into that space?

That is a puzzling question. If I knew, it could literary change this entire worlds perspective of being.

It happens more now since adding the tape loop to the system. It reminds me of the Memorex tape ad picture but the force of blowing wind is visual without ever reaching my body. Like a lion coming at me ready to pounce without ever connecting. A wall of music so big it stuns the senses.

It seems to be source critical but does not always happen with the same source all the time. It also seems to be power related which might cause the discrepancy.

It could also be my state of mind that helps ease into that space. If things are not going well, the Chariot will rid my mind of troubles easily but getting into that space.....well that is a question of the ages!

It is exhilarating when it happens. I sat there stunned after it happens(track from album, tape, CD, USB drive ends) swaying my head side to side repeating the word wow. Sometimes it will continue to the next track but not always.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #4 - 02/26/24 at 15:01:56

..." I think it’s when my brain is comfortably tricked into believing there is music-sound everywhere around me, even though I know it’s an illusion. My brain then says this is sweet let’s party and leans into the illusion and starts to gently hallucinate."

..."We are 4th dimensional beings living in 3 dimensional space. Our senses are trained based in time to create a cognitive view of what is sensed. We cross into the 5th dimension when our senses trigger unfamiliar timed input based on nanoseconds. This will create what you referred to as moving into the room of the performance as compared to the performanced being in your space. This has been referred to as "being the mic" here on this forum."

I LOVE the way you guys worded these statements! "being the mic" is gonna save me sooo much typing!!

Thank you so much for your responses... I feel more and more normal the more I post here... anyone else actually watch peoples eyes glass over when you start talking about stereo stuff? lol

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 02/26/24 at 15:39:09

I'm glad my phrase "being the mic" has gotten so much mileage here on the forum. Yes, eyes glass over, conversation is diverted, "what the hell is this guy talking about" seems to be the thought in brains around.

Both the music and the equipment are anchors in my personal history, tying memories together of family and friends--I can't be without them.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #6 - 03/07/24 at 19:21:44

If you know, you know, Lon Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print