"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

New 12AU7: Apos Ray
02/20/24 at 13:52:41

I notice there is a new production "special tube" available, the Apos Ray 12AU7

https://apos.audio/products/apos-ray-tube-12au7?variant=44090522501356

From the description . . . it may be too bright a tube FOR ME. But. . . who knows. If anyone tries this out, tell us about it. Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: New 12AU7: Apos Ray
Reply #1 - 02/20/24 at 16:51:55

I'd never heard of Apos Ray. But regardless, I guess 80 bucks for a Chinese 12AU7 is the "new normal." I'm glad I've already got a lifetime supply of tubes. Realistically, enough for this lifetime and most of the next.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/20/24 at 17:46:05

I could be wrong, but it appears all the Apos branded products are made by someone else and rebranded as Apos. I'm guessing their tube selections are all purchased from and tested by someone other than Apos, and they just add their markup to pay for the beautiful web site aimed at a very specific market.

I'd be surprised if they're adding any value over the established tube vendors.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/20/24 at 18:36:39

I assumed the same, I think you are absolutely right--I assume they are China manufactured tubes. Others do the same, and with some really good results at times (TAD for one). I don't doubt these COULD sound really good. . . the description of the sound makes them seem leaner than I like tubes to be though. But I am a bit curious. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/22/24 at 19:27:27

One review on Head-Fi specifically mentioned that they were not bright, so it might be to your liking.

How about I buy it (a single tube) and have it shipped to you? Take as long as you need and then send it to the next person who is interested in checking it out?

Might be fun to have a collective tube that goes from member to member?

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 02/22/24 at 19:33:53

Kam, nah, generous offer, and if you want to do that with someone else, cool, but I don't want to get involved in that manner. especially with an item as fragile as an input tube.

Also I just need to point out that many tubes that others classify as "not bright". . . I may find "bright"--my sensitivity to "brightness" seems larger than that of almost anyone else I have encountered (except perhaps my late first wife, but she had exceptional hearing that a University of Chicago lab paid her to study when we were in college!)

I'm really more than FLUSH with tubes right now, having replaced the Cryotone 12AU7-WCL that I accidentally broke, and I'm not in the "explore that tube type" zone for a few more months. (The Cryotone tube is awesome, and I honestly have about five dozen NOS 12AU7 tubes of varying types and brands to roll). I'd be interested to hear impressions of this tube if they exist or are generated.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/22/24 at 20:23:47

Noted. I thought you were interested in checking it out to expand your already grand repertoire of tubes!

The reason I wasn’t interested in checking it out immediately (and have someone break it in for me) as that I am also flush with 12AU7s currently and in fact, just received the Cryotone 12AU7 today, so my attention will be diverted there for the time being.

Still open to the idea if anyone else is interested….

Btw: in case you haven’t come across this already, here’s the review thread on Head-Fi:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/apos-ray-12au7-vacuum-tube.26778/reviews

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 02/22/24 at 21:40:45

Thanks, yes, after your mention I looked that thread up. Interesting. . . seems overall a lot of positive reporting.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print