Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 22:55:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware Brand EL34 (Read 2513 times)
Sai

Decware Brand EL34
08/02/23 at 02:39:28

Just purchased a set of Decware EL34 tubes today for my Torii MK V. Anyone know much about them?

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Decware Brand EL34
Reply #1 - 08/02/23 at 03:14:26

They were just introduced  to us today so I don't think we can know much! I suspect that they are made for Decware by Linlai as the rectifiers are.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 08/02/23 at 20:37:11

Ordered a pair myself last night and a rectifier. Always preferred the 807's but we'll see what these bring to the party. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 08/14/23 at 19:16:51

Sai - Did you rec'v your tubes yet? My tracking shows that they should land either today or Tuesday. I am hoping that between them and the CCE on the Rachael amp it will bring some new found mojo to the system. I liked the EL34's that I rolled in the amp, but once I found out that the 807 was one of Steve's favorites and it was ok to use (with adapters) I found that 807's brought me into the music much more. I'll post my thought after they break in. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/17/23 at 04:37:37

Mine are scheduled to arrive Thursday the 17th, and will be replacing the Gold Lion KT66s ( one of which is on the fritz) in my TORII 5. I am very excited to hear the differences.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/19/23 at 06:00:39

I by no means have a golden ear, I’ve only had my amp for about 10 months, but so far I love these new Decware EL34s (replacing GL KT66s), I think they sound fantastic. I’m not sure I am prepared to discuss the qualities that I like about them yet, all I know is I really enjoy the music.

I had previously purchased the Decware rectifier tubes, and with the addition of the EL34s, it makes me eager to buy any additional Decware branded tubes that are released.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 08/21/23 at 01:36:39

I have about 20+ hours on the Decware EL34's and have to say that at this point I do favor them more than the stock EL34's that were supplied with the Rachael. I'll let it run thru this week's usual usage and give it a close listen next weekend and see if I can get a grip on the changes. Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #7 - 09/02/23 at 17:40:05

Well I have to say that I think the Decware EL34 have over 125 hours on them now and I really enjoy what the system sound like now. I had a chance to spend a few hours with some of my records and think that these are the best EL34's we've had in the Rachael, ever. There seems to be much more definition through the lower midrange up to the top end. I want to use the word bloom, but not with the negative connotation. Not really sure what Steve's CEE brings to the table, but really happy we purchased these. I've never been unhappy with any of the tubes that we've purchased from Steve, these really bring a smile to the ole mug and tapping to the toes. YMMV and happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Sai

Reply #8 - 02/03/24 at 15:06:23

Apologize, I started this thread and dropped right off. Life gets in the way… so to speak. I haven’t had the chance to listen to my set yet, but I’m excited to try them out now that I’ve heard some initial impressions. Specifically, I’d be comparing them to NOS Mullard xf2 single getter EL34 tubes which are my reference.

I will say the Mullards are a tough customer to equal, no less beat. Been on a mission to buy some of the tougher unobtainable tubes out there, so I also have a quad of NOS GL KT-77 tubes coming in. Other power tubes of interest to me would be one day to get my hands on a quad of GEC KT88 tubes.

Anyways, coming back to the topic at hand, I should be able to in a few weeks provide some comparisons between my Mullard NOS tubes and the Decware tubes…. Also, 100% agree, for all the fuss and fanciness of NOS tubes, Steve’s tubes have been really great all on their own! I haven’t tried any of the Cryotone tubes though that Steve had recommended before…

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #9 - 02/03/24 at 15:19:37

Sai - I would be very interested in your thought when you get the time. I enjoyed my Decware EL34's, I would not hesitate in recommending them. Nice to have a very good sounding tube that has gone through the Decware QC dept and not have to take out a second on the house to pay for it. I did take mine out and reinstalled one of my pairs of 807's...Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Sai

Reply #10 - 02/05/24 at 00:07:36

Will do Chris. Just started listening to the Decware EL34 tubes. Definitely will need to only form any impressions after some break in. Maybe keep it in this month and let them break in. Ought to have about 80-100 hrs by then.

IP Logged
Sai

Reply #11 - 02/06/24 at 21:00:47

Some very preliminary observations. The first 6-8 hrs, the tube sound wooly and lacking in detail. You really feel the need to write the tubes off. That said I’m very happy to report that with about 12-15 hrs on the tubes, they start to open up and settle in. Already much more detail and dynamic than the starting few hours.

I’m not going to make any comments yet around the comparisons against my reference Mullard Xf2 tubes. Will start to make some notes on that in a few more days.

For now, patiently getting through the first 15 hrs have yielded better dynamics already.

IP Logged
Sai

Reply #12 - 02/10/24 at 19:33:59

I now have about 40 hrs on the Decware EL34 tubes and I think they have settled in quite nicely.

Lows are tight, mids are flat and clear, tops are clearer, less rolled off than before but definitely not bright.

In the detail department, things are sounding clearer and less “wooly.”

As a first attempt of comparing these to NOS Mullard Xf2 EL34s (single getter):

Lows: Decware EL34 has a slightly heavier bottom, while bass is tight, the Mullards are tighter, but lighter/less bass. So I guess you could say at this point the Decware tubes have more “bass” but the Mullards have a tighter bass.

Mids: Decware EL34s have been steadily improving in this area with use, the mids are very nice, not pronounced, fairly flat I would say. The Mullards kick ass in the mids however, while a little more pronounced, the detail and textures are a lot clearer than the Decware. Now that’s not to say the Decware tubes are not good, the NOS Mullards are just magical in this regard.

Highs: Decware EL34s have nice rolled off highs. They are more tubey, the Mullards are more analytical in this sense. Kind of tracks that the NOS Mullards have another level of detail and airiness in this regard.

Detail: Things got a lot better with the Decware tubes with burn in. That said, the Xf2 Mullards are just at another level. Textures of sound and sound stage, dynamics and all that stuff was at another level. I’m sure the Decware gaps will close the gap more and more with use, but at 40 hrs, this is where we are.

All said, it’s hard to fault the Decware EL34s against the Mullards as they are very easy to listen to and enjoyable. If I could get my head out of my butt and just listen to music, I’d be very happy with the Decware tubes. I feel like while the Xf2 Mullards do take the win home, but there’s plenty that the Decware tubes ought to be proud of! I have no problems recommending these to anyone looking for a solid EL34. You can definitely check a lot of boxes, enjoy your listening in the process! I plan to use mine for a long time…

IP Logged
Sai

Reply #13 - 02/27/24 at 02:44:49

Wanted to provide some added perspective. Comparing the Decware EL34 tubes to SophiaElectric EL34s, the Decware tubes are hands down a better option in pretty much every way. About the only thing the SE tubes do more of is be louder/more energetic. SE tubes have about 80 hrs on them.

Dynamics, refinement, imaging, lows, mids, highs are just better with the Decware tubes.

I found the SE tubes lacking in lows, have slightly recessed mids, and have rolled off highs.
I guess like all things, it’s a listener’s preference. I can’t believe Thomas & Stereo liked these on the Torii MK V. Personally, hands down, recommend the Decware EL34s over the SE tubes.

IP Logged
Neil Jackson
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 02/28/24 at 00:17:16

But, the Mullard xf2's are still the holy grail...

IP Logged
Sai

Reply #15 - 02/28/24 at 05:28:22

Xf2 are the best I own for sure. Like them more than the original NOS Gold Lion KT77, and the modern tubes I tested them against so far.

I’m thinking though the Mullard xf1 or even older metal base EL-34 tubes might compare, but don’t own them unfortunately…

IP Logged
Neil Jackson
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 02/28/24 at 18:45:27

Yes, I'm sure that the XF1's are amazing if you can find/afford them!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print