Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 14:59:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Live Edge Walnut Open Baffles (Read 1954 times)
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

New Live Edge Walnut Open Baffles
02/10/24 at 21:40:55

I finally decided to have something made that was more pleasing to the eye, than just cutting boards, made into open baffles.

I found someone to make some new ones out of live edge walnut slabs. He did a fine job on them.

It’s funny how changes in material, shape and driver height, affect the overall sound of open baffles. I’ve spent the last day or so adjusting placement, as well as changes in bass amp crossover and volume settings.

I guess the fact that walnut is not as hard as acacia, had an impact, plus the thickness of the new ones are slightly less than the old.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: New Live Edge Walnut Open Baffles
Reply #1 - 02/10/24 at 22:37:32

Those look awesome Geno!

Quote:
...It’s funny how changes in material, shape and driver height, affect the overall sound of open baffles...

Speakers, esp. open baffles, are essentially a musical instrument and from that perspective you'd be shocked if that stuff didn't have a big impact on the sound. And if yours sound half as good as they look you've got a lot of happy listening in your future.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 02/10/24 at 23:21:03

Thanks James!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/10/24 at 23:31:37

Beautiful open baffles Geno. I bet they sound as good as they look. I hope they bring you many years of enjoyment.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/10/24 at 23:41:22

Those are beautiful, Geno. Congratulations on your new acquisition!

I believe baffles are almost like tube rolling. So much character comes from the material, shape, height, etc.  Of course moving them around helps too, but the material plays such an important part of the resonance and tone. I wouldn’t worry about the walnut not being as dense as acacia- think about the body of an acoustic guitar, spruce is low density and not great structurally, but what a tone it has. The lack of density is what makes it so warm and beautiful.

Tone aside, your new baffles are visually stunning.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 02/11/24 at 02:42:41

Hey Geno…those live edge OB’s are truly works of art.  They are beautiful!  Congratulations.  Walnut is one of my favorite woods…I built my fireplace mantel out of it.  

My future project is to build my audio rack out of live edge walnut consisting of 3 shelves.  The large slabs are expensive, so it’s not something I’m going tackle right away.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/11/24 at 04:59:27

Lookin’ good, Geno!

Randy

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/11/24 at 12:02:40

I liked what you did Geno. Looks rich!

One concern though. Those baffles will twist and turn with seasonal weather changes. I hope the drivers were mounted with this in mind?

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #8 - 02/11/24 at 15:09:28

Quote:
One concern though. Those baffles will twist and turn with seasonal weather changes. I hope the drivers were mounted with this in mind?

Now you tell me!?!?  The drivers are mounted straight into the baffle. What is the worst that could happen?

I could use this type of mounting. I had this as a back up, depending on how accurate dude was with his hole cuts (he used a jigsaw). I can change to these if needed.

Thanks John (I think Wink)

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/12/24 at 12:32:35

Quote:
What is the worst that could happen?

Depends. If the moisture content was low in the slabs say around 10% or below and your space is climate controlled then the slabs will most likely be stable but might cup and twist enough to drive you crazy with a seasonal sound change. On the other hand with a solid driver mounting in green wood(high moisture content) the driver frame could actually distort enough creating the voice coil to rub on the core.
Maybe just keep the possibility in mind and check the drivers mounting screws if your system's sound seems to be off down the road. Simply loosening the screws over time if needed to relieve stress on the drivers might be the cure all the way to a stress control mounting system with springs and washers literally suspending the driver off the wild wood slab.

Hmmmm, wondering if suspending the driver from an open baffle will improve clarity, black space, and image.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/15/24 at 22:07:29

Geno, that’s friggin beautiful! I have a soft spot for walnut as well!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #11 - 02/15/24 at 22:58:57

Wowsers those look sweet!

I have thought about suspending drivers in an OB setup... just ponderings really. I don't have enough hard info in my brain to really deliberate the actual effect. The thought I ended on was that the density, shape, etc. being such important issues, for proper tonal resonances and the like, would be suffering if the driver is isolated in its mounted position. That being said I eagerly await some wiser words from deeper minds on the subject.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/18/24 at 10:43:09

Hey Phill! I believe we talked at the 2022 Decfest about your just acquired dream job and the long commute every morning. Is that you?

None the wiser than most 70 year olds my thoughts:

The speaker cone in an open baffle is very well isolated from the supporting frame with the spider and cone surround doing this but the frame and motor structure is attached in most cases soundly to the baffle. The sound generated with the mechanically detached voice coil, spider, cone, and surround bounces from the baffle projecting out to the listener before meeting the backwave bounce produced by the aforementioned parts at the edges of the baffle. The baffle resonates at its fundamental frequency[(s)solid natural wood will have many different resonant frequencies as compared to engineered wood] that can vary with different materials, shapes, and sizes with the sound generated by the cone et al. The baffle resonance will pass to the solid mounted frame creating slight movement of the motor structure therefore creating a mask of certain frequencies.
I would also add when suspending the speaker frame from the baffle an air tight seal would be needed between the frame and baffle to eliminate the density issue you speak of.

Hope this makes sense.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #13 - 02/18/24 at 17:17:33

John,

Not exactly related to your post, but this might be a good time to post this, as my results with the new walnut baffles is underwhelming, when compared to what I had previously. I’m looking for suggestions to make things better. Photos attached of what I posted to an open baffle group.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/19/24 at 00:29:43

Don't know a thing about open baffle designs ..but that wood used in those is gorgeous Geno. Also my wife while looking at those speakers ( she agrees..gorgeous)  she also noticed your cd cabinets. Can you tell us where you found those? Sorry off topic on that.  ps ..love the wall of musicians too  

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/19/24 at 11:36:07

Geno,
Hope there was a way to fix it beyond what is seen. The baffle area surrounding the P10 decreased which inturn changed the boost of certain frequencies directly related to the wavelength of those frequencies.
Trying to think of a fix of increasing the area while keeping the good looks of the baffle is evading me.
Anybody else?

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/19/24 at 13:09:20

Hi Geno, sorry to hear your SQ went down when the beauty went up. The easiest place to start would be to take some thin plywood and make those wings on either side of the w15 go all the way up the sides of the 10’s. If you used thin enough wood you could flex it to curve with the natural edge of the slabs. From there you could experiment with a small separation wing between the drivers. On my Liionides style speakers posted in “the next project after the last one” I played with the ribs that join the top and bottom face plates extensively before cutting the final pieces from hardwood. I landed on a design that was larger on the insides than the outsides, with a gentle French curve going from bottom to top. No separation plate between the top and bottom driver.
Maybe just try clamping some extension wings up the sides of the 10’s temporarily and see what happens?

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #17 - 02/19/24 at 15:33:23

John,

I’m going to experiment with a ring around the PT-10, similar to what Steve uses on the Headwreckers, just to see what that does.

Gilf,

I went back and looked at your build. I can’t believe that I forgot about those. Awesome build! And your material is very similar to what I had before. Can you post some pictures of the sides and back of yours? That’ll give you a chance to show them off anyway. We did not see enough of them in your original post.

Thanks guys,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 02/19/24 at 16:22:04

Here’s a couple photos of the back of mine (right baffle). These were tuned to my room, with the w15s crossed over at 90hz.; the yours will likely be different.

Regarding John’s comment about the wood flexing, I wonder if rear mounting your drivers would be advantageous, taking advantage of the foam ring?

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #19 - 02/19/24 at 16:47:31

Thank you, Gilf.  Very nice!  Food for thought.

Please post a picture of both of them from the front!

Thanks again!

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/19/24 at 19:30:37

Uh, gosh. Ok. Throwing a second one in that shows the Acoustic Fields carbon BDAs. The diffusion and BDAs were probably my best investments. The lower center absorber is removed in the rare event that we watch the television behind it.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #21 - 02/19/24 at 21:45:37

Very cool!!!  I knew that we needed a better look.

Many thanks,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #22 - 02/19/24 at 21:51:22

Mike,

I forgot to respond to you.

Thanks for the compliments - you and the Mrs.

I’m sorry, but I got the CD cases roughly 25 years ago. Found them in some catalog. This was before I even had my first computer.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 02/20/24 at 17:18:16

Thank you Geno. She's been looking around for similar. We have a metric ton of music in here and have overfilled all available storage place now.. She said thank you Geno Smiley  [smiley=beer.gif]

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #24 - 03/02/24 at 19:52:13

Well, I spent the afternoon yesterday working on my baffles. It was recommended to me to add some rigidity/mass to the back, so I added horiz/vertical stiffeners, knee braces and attached the side wings to the vertical stiffeners.

They are much more solid now, and I feel that the sound is better too.

Also experimenting with a birch ply ring around the full-ranger, just for shits and giggles. I’ll have to go a bit bigger, to influence the sound more. I was just curious to see what effect it would have.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print