05/03/24 at 08:52:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Grounding ZP3 and ZMC (Read 257 times)
Kirk
Verified Member

Grounding ZP3 and ZMC
02/05/24 at 20:10:05

How should the grounding lugs be used on ZP3 and ZMC?  Should those lugs be connected to my home's main ground?

I am about to rewire my Rega Planar 3 and the kit will add an external ground.  Should the TT external ground connect to the ZMC?

I do not use the power cord on the ZMC.

SE84UFO2, CSP3, ZP3/ZMC2, Klipsch Jubilees, ZLC, Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (Modwright), Rega Planar 3, Ortofon Quintet Blue MC, GR-Research and Decware cables
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Re: Grounding ZP3 and ZMC
Reply #1 - 02/05/24 at 21:42:39

I don’t have a ZMC, but I use a Cinemag SUT. I run the ground from the TT to the SUT and another from the SUT to ZP3. I have tried removing the ground between the ZP3 and SUT and get a hum. On other phono pre’s you can eliminate the SUT to phono pre ground to lower hum, I believe Steve mentioned the ZP3 needs ground to the SUT n the papers, but I haven’t read them in awhile.

If you get hum, I’ve read wrapping the ground around the RCA’s can help. Made no difference for me. My system does hum, I didn’t think it did until I turned the whole house fan off. I don’t notice hum during playback, just with my ear in front of speakers.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Kirk
Verified Member

Re: Grounding ZP3 and ZMC
Reply #2 - 02/08/24 at 23:40:35

Thanks Sean.  I rewired my Rega tonearm so I now have an external ground (and better cabling and RCA connects).  External ground is connected to the SUT and SUT's ground is connected to the ZP3.  Sounds terrific.  I no longer get a snap in the speakers when I touch the tonearm (static electricity discharge).

SE84UFO2, CSP3, ZP3/ZMC2, Klipsch Jubilees, ZLC, Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (Modwright), Rega Planar 3, Ortofon Quintet Blue MC, GR-Research and Decware cables
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print