Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 13:54:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cable Recommendation (Read 1095 times)
The other Lon

Cable Recommendation
02/01/24 at 16:03:02

Looking for recommendations on your preferred cable /brand for longer runs (20FT) going from either source or preamplifier to amplifier. Source equipment needs to stay this far away from ideal placement of a Torii MKV coming in a few months time.

TIA

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Re: Cable Recommendation
Reply #1 - 02/03/24 at 19:37:03

You'll probably get a lot of recommendations. I have used Blue Jeans cables for years. Never a problem. Two of them I needed were at 25 feet. I do like Maze audio cables too..and they are perty. LOL. Custom sizes, ends etc from both outfits  [smiley=icqlite20.png] Have a great day~  [smiley=wink.gif]

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #2 - 02/04/24 at 12:45:02

Love the Goertz micropurl for various reasons, especially their ability to not act like an antenna, which is a serious concern at those distances. The price is also great considering they can hang with the big boys.

They are high capacitance though, so you have to make sure whatever is driving them has enough grunt to do so.

My config is as follows.
ZP3 > 5 ft silver micropurl > Slagle silver autoformer > 10 ft. silver micropurl > SE84B.

That's 15 feet of silver micropurl, and there are absolutely no issues driving that length by the cathode follower in the ZP3.

Good luck.

Cheers,           Crazy Bill

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/04/24 at 13:57:54

Why not go with the XLR option? Basically XLR was created for long runs to filter out noise created by running RCA over distance. Some even say the sound is improved with XLR use.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #4 - 02/06/24 at 00:43:39

I'm in the same camp with "Crazy Bill the Eel Killer"... on the Goertz/Alpha-Core cables.  Have used them for years - H..l decades to be honest.  They don't get a lot of press anymore, because they never came out with new models every 6 months - a good design is a good design.  They are my "go-to" and reference standard by which I judge everything else against.  
They are made by Bridgeport Magnetics, a company that designs/builds industrial transformers for medical equipment, etc. - i.e. they know a bit about how voltage/current travels through wire.  
https://www.bridgeportmagnetics.com/product-category/goertz-audio/
You used to be able to buy the audio products from them directly - doesn't look like you can anymore.

You can buy some models new from: https://www.thecableco.com/cables.html?manufacturer=182
however, I don't see the micropurl models anymore.  I have a feeling Bridgeport Magnetics is kind of letting this part of their business die.  I watch the used markets for them, and usually buy up any I find.  They typically sell pretty inexpensively.  I bought some of their AG-2 Veracity on agon for a stupid low price - I believe it was a dealer who didn't realize what he had.  Silver got so expensive, Goertz doesn't even offer the solid silver speaker cables anymore. But just a quick look and I did find a pair of AG-2 solid silver speaker cables on agon right now. However, this person knows the "value" of what they have.
Smiley
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisb6jh9-goertz-ag2-goertz-ag2-veracity-solid-...

I do have a long pair of the copper heavier gauge twisted/purled IC's. They are not in use at the moment, but are about to be.  I can't remember how long they are - at least 3 meters.
I have a fair amount of Audioquest, Kimber, Nordost, some WireWorld and other brands of wire.  Am starting to get quite an inventory of Decware cables too... power, IC's and speaker.  I think of "wire" as a final "tuning" tool.  But I have never heard a system that I didn't like the Goertz stuff in.

The other thing I have done, and would recommend to you - if you DIY at all... Is get you some Mogami microphone cable (it's inside some of Decwares components) and then get you some Neutrik XLR's if going balanced, or get some Canare RCA plugs, or some KLE plastic body RCA's - the options here are nearly endless.  Don't get too crazy and buy WBT Next Gen's or something like that.
You can even buy the Mogami IC's already made with XLR's or RCA's.
Balanced/XLR is best for long distances if that is an option.  If not, shielding is important.  The Mogami microphone cable is extraordinarily quiet and is known for that.  It's pretty darn good - you might find you don't need anything else.

You could also just get some Blue Jeans Cables LC-1 low capacitance, shielded(the distance issue) cables in RCA form too - as a place to start.

You can definitely find cables that sound "different" - but are they better?  Who knows?  But it is possible to alter and tailor the sound of your system with "wire".  Especially noticeable as you get better and more resolving components...

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/06/24 at 02:39:56

I used Mogami 2497 for all my interconnects. A friend lent me a half dozen older high end cables and the 2497 just worked best for me. I bought bulk wire and connecters, one thing to be aware of is the 2497 is thick and some connectors are too narrow to slide over the cable. I believe Canare F10 connectors is what I used after trying Amphenol connectors.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 02/06/24 at 12:54:18

Lon,

That is a long run.  If that is going to be a permanent setup, I would look into acquiring a ZBIT if possible utilizing XLR cables.  They do come up for sale time to time on the used market.  I acquired mine on eBay a year ago and it’s a great device.  I use it a lot for gain adjustability when I go from running my Torii MKIV to my Zen monos.  

I would throw up a post in the classified section for a Wanting to Buy (WTB), and see if anyone bites.  I ran into a similar issue in my setup when I was building my house.  I still had to make a long run irregardless, and my setup was challenging.   After much debate going back and forth,  I decided to make the long run with speaker cables and spent a lot of money doing so.  

The ideal scenario would be to use XLR cables for your long run, and keep the speaker cables as short as possible.  Sadly, I could not do this, do the better half wanting the living room to not have cables showing.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #7 - 02/06/24 at 13:06:55

Thanks to all for the great advice. I used to DIY as a pre-teen/teen, taking apart any piece of electronics gear and soldering up new stuff. Even ran a car stereo as a dorm stereo with a Lionel train transformer (think there was a little trial and error there). Not sure why I am so hesitant in doing this stuff in my later years.

Decided to just blow up the room so I could use standard cables. Moved my office out of it into another room in the house, sort of sad as I had this room specifically built for my office 4 years ago.

Now the room is 100% dedicated to music. Needed to set everything up on a diagonal to make the shorter cables work, however there seem to be great benefits to this so far. now I'll just need to dial everything into this new setup.

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/07/24 at 14:20:07

I had ordered these cables well before the amp arrived. All had to be custom lengths etc.. Worked out great! We are in love with the Zen!

thumbnailgwgg.jpg
  IP Logged
Tony Adams
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 02/20/24 at 03:08:27

AudioQuest Rocket 88 is a good option. It is a great all-around speaker cable that is well-suited for long runs. Moreover, it is made with high-quality materials and construction, and it offers excellent sound quality.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print