Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 17:15:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clearance for Rachael in an audio rack (Read 1192 times)
Coqui
Verified Member

Clearance for Rachael in an audio rack
01/27/24 at 13:24:37

Hello everyone. I'm here once again asking for the advice of experienced Decware users.

I am going to build an audio rack for the Rachael amp that I should receive in about 3-4 months. The rack will be an open design with an open back/front and open sides. The Rachael is 8 inches high. My question is: How much clearance does this amp needs between shelves? I'm thinking of 12 inches between shelves, which would give the Rachael about 4 inches of clearance. Would that be sufficient clearance?

I would appreciate any ideas or thoughts!

Thanks,

Ramón

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Re: Clearance for Rachael in an audio rack
Reply #1 - 01/27/24 at 14:08:34

This sounds like a fun project! I don't have a Rachael, but do have a Mini Torii. One of the plusses of these amps is the ability to roll from multiple power tubes. Some possibilities utilize an adapter (I think the 807 is a popular tube for Rachael) and are coke bottle shaped. This means they are quite a bit larger than a standard EL34. The rectifier can also be rolled to some "taller" variants.

If there is any possibility you will tube roll, I would account for that and likely go with a 16in space between shelves. Hopefully someone with a Rachael that has used either power or rectifier tubes with an adapter can give you a more exact measure needed for clearance. Good luck!

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/27/24 at 15:17:53

Thanks so much for your response Chapsjon!

I am hoping that I can get away with less than 16 inches between shelves because my space is limited and have a bunch of components to accommodate. I'm also hoping that a Rachael owner will see this post and provide some insight as to how hot the amp gets and how much clearance is needed using an open rack design.

As HRider says, happy listening!!

IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #3 - 01/27/24 at 20:02:08

I'll second what chapsjon said.  I run 807s with an adaptor in Rachael and they add a full 6" off the amp deck so if plan on rolling these 12" might be a bit 'tight'.  How about putting her on the top shelf of the stand instead?  Just a thought.

ChrisC

Smiley

CXC, CXN (MWI), ZROCK2, Aric Audio Unlimited, Rachael, Omega CAMs
  IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/27/24 at 20:17:28

Hi Chris,

Yes, I'm beginning to think that I need to re-design my rack. I should put the Rachael and the Aric Preamp on top and then reduce the space between shelves.

I really appreciate your input because one of the reason why I decided to get a Rachael is because I want to experiment and the 807's are at the top of my list for tube rolling.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 01/28/24 at 16:42:41

Coqui - We have our Rachael and all our other Decware components in a rack, with the amp at about knee height. The spacing where the amp resides is exactly 12'' and I use 807's with Maximatcher adaptors. The ZP3 and CSP3 live on a shelf with 9'' spacing...plenty of room. When I was putting the whole rack/gear plan together I went down a little rabbit hole about the heat and all. My wife donated the LR closet for the rack and it's worked out great. I can change tubes in any component without hassle, clean, move things if needed. Even in sunny (sometimes) Santa Cruz mountains the temp in the rack is never excessive. You are going to love the amp when it arrives and settles in. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/28/24 at 16:51:07

Hey Chris, great to hear from you! I'm building an audio rack using 1 1/2 thick butcher blocks from Home Depot. As you know, I have an Aric Audio pre-amp and Omegas CAM waiting for the Rachael. I'm still about 4 months away from getting but I'm getting closer!

You have been instrumental in helping me navigate this new world of tube amps...I cannot thank you enough!!

Ramón

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #7 - 01/29/24 at 00:12:06

Ramon - It sounds like it's going to be great, sturdy rack, post some pics when you get it done (and of course when Rachael comes to stay). Our Decware gear drives our Omega system wonderfully, listening to Peter Gabriel's I/O right now.
These forums are to me a great place to get info, ask my questions, laugh and meet like minded music lovers...cause that's why we do this. I am so glad to have found Steve and the Decware team so may years ago, the products allowed me to get off the ''gear of the month/year'' cycle and just buy music. Keep us posted and happy listening sir, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 01/29/24 at 00:26:44

Of course, I will post pictures of the rack when I am done; I need to learn how to do that in this forum Smiley It is interesting because I have been listening the new Peter Gabriel stuff. I really like the new African rhythm arrangement for "In Your Eyes".

Take care,

Ramón

IP Logged
Waukman1
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 01/29/24 at 16:05:03

Hi Ramon,
I have a Rachael in a 10" high space in a home made rack and have not had any problems with overheating. The amp has 1.75" of clearance above the rectifier tube and if I place my hand on the bottom of the shelf above the tube it is warm not hot. I used to use a fan blowing in thru the open side of the rack but no longer see a need for it. My rack is made of .75" cherry. I don't do any tube rolling. If I did I might need more clearance. I tried posting a picture but it doesn't seem to allow me since I don't have many posts.
Regards,
Jim

IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 01/29/24 at 17:53:55

Hi Jim,

This is very helpful! This is my first all tube rig and your experience and the experience of others with the Rachael has been invaluable to me. I will try to post picture of the rack when I finish it later in the Spring.

Take care,

Ramón

IP Logged
travel250
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 02/02/24 at 17:45:44

Coqui,
My shelves are spaced approx. 10"+ at the bottom, this allows about 2" clearance from top of rect tube to bottom of middle shelf. The area around the "Rachael" is warm not hot. I do minimal tube rolling and do not use any adapters. As you can see from the pix I have plenty of clearance around all components. I had the shelf built by "TimberNation" a few years back.

Good luck with the build,
Tim D.

Decware: SE34I.5 (2) mono | CSP325 w/ZAFP | DNA2
Thorens TD124 > SME 3009 Improved > Shure V15 Type III
TEAC A2300S r2r
Cambridge DUO
Yamaha WXC-50
Timbernation 3 shelf Audio Table
  IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 02/02/24 at 19:03:01

Hi Jim,

That is a beautiful set up! Looking at the picture it gives me a really good idea of how much space I need.

BTW, how do you like having the two Rachaels bridged into mono blocks? Is there an appreciable difference in power? I have second spot on the waiting list and I have been considering doing the same. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your response!

Ramón

IP Logged
travel250
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 02/09/24 at 14:26:03

It's been awhile since I've run the "Rachaels" independently, so I'm going off memory. I like listening to my music at around 60db maxing out at around 80db or so, with the amps bridged to mono I have enough volume in reserve should I need it before clipping. Plus, should one of the amps be out of service, I'll not be without music.
Tim D.

Decware: SE34I.5 (2) mono | CSP325 w/ZAFP | DNA2
Thorens TD124 > SME 3009 Improved > Shure V15 Type III
TEAC A2300S r2r
Cambridge DUO
Yamaha WXC-50
Timbernation 3 shelf Audio Table
  IP Logged
Coqui
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 02/09/24 at 23:34:32

Thanks for your answer Tim! I have about 400 people ahead of me on the waiting list before my turn is up. So, I'm getting closer to getting the amp; maybe 4 months away. I keep thinking about what to do with the second spot that I have on the waiting list. I need to decided whether or not I want to get a ZP3 or another Decware amplifier.

Take care,

Ramón

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print