Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 09:26:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
P2P tube regulated zKit4 (Read 626 times)
Gilf
Seasoned Member

P2P tube regulated zKit4
01/20/24 at 19:58:49

The onslaught of cold weather has me stuck inside so I’ve been teaching electronics to my friend’s 6 year old son. We’re about to dive in to our first actual project. Point to point zkit 4 with tube regulated power supply. Got to start them off right.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Re: P2P tube regulated zKit4
Reply #1 - 01/21/24 at 00:37:39

That's a very lucky Kiddo to have you as a mentor.  
To both of you, nice work on that base.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/22/24 at 18:41:12

Thanks, Tony.  I feel lucky myself.  It is unusual to have a child with this talent at such a young age.  He's going to quickly surpass me and is already  keeping me on my toes asking questions that I can't answer.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/10/24 at 17:17:17

We are getting close to finishing project and I’m second guessing where the gain control would be added in the circuit.
I was initially thinking it replaced the 100k resistor on the output but thinking logically now realizing this is not correct. I saw in another post that Steve said the 100k pot goes on the output, but where exactly?
It seems like across the input RCA line would be the place?

IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/24/24 at 22:52:15

I put mine on the input. To me that makes sense. The ZKit4 is essentially a preamp, so the input signal goes to the attenuators (100K), then the circuit, then out.

My build is here. It uses two in a balanced configuration.
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1701983220

IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/24/24 at 22:54:58

Great looking build btw.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/25/24 at 01:12:29

Thanks, funch. I should have updated my post, but didn’t think anyone was watching this section of the forum anymore.
I ended up putting the pot on the input like you said and it worked out well. I misinterpreted Steve’s message about putting the pot on the output of each channel- what I “think” he meant was on the output of the cd player, before the tube stage.

IP Logged
bobc

Reply #7 - 03/25/24 at 14:20:55

I’ve played with the pot on both sides of the zkit. I currently use on output.

On output the full 2v signal goes to the tube and you get maximum effect. Ie good harmonic distortion, and attenuation from there. The signal is “enhanced” regardless of where the pot is set.

On input you control how much of the signal the circuit sees and as such how much”effect” is in resulting signal.

I think it depends on upstream equipment ie if your amp has a pot on input, why add another series pot. Definitely not gain structuring! For my application I am feeding a solid state power amp. I want full “effect” to make this sound more Tube like, so pots on output.

I made one with 3 relay controlled inputs and a bypass switch. I found better ways to tweak my sound, but the zkit is a cool piece and I use it regularly.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/26/24 at 00:11:54

Thanks for sharing your experience, bobc. It’s easy enough to swap the wires so it goes on the output the way I laid it out. I’ll try it out. It will be a fun project to do with the kids since they’re begging for more soldering and we don’t need any more gear around. The amp I made with them has no volume control so the tube stage volume is a must.

IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/26/24 at 20:29:10

I've never looked at it that way. Maybe I'll try it on the output. Mine goes from the ZKit to a balanced-to-SE transformer converter, then to my headphone amp which has a volume attenuator.

IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/28/24 at 23:31:02

Tried putting the volume pot on the output. Didn't like it. Went back to putting it at the input.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/28/24 at 23:41:42

Same here. I use mine with a tube amp so I don’t necessarily need the “full effect”. It’s nice being able to adjust the drive having it on the input. Different courses for different horses. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print