Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 09:24:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Passive pre for remote volume prior to CSP3 (Read 942 times)
Viperfreq
Verified Member

Passive pre for remote volume prior to CSP3
01/16/24 at 14:50:04

I already know this question will bring on some negative responses, but I really want to find a remote control function to using the CSP3.
I have a ZMA enroute and a UFO25 on order (probably 3ish years out). From all the glowing responses I have seen of the ZMA paired with the CSP3 I am thinking of changing my UFO25 to the CSP3. But then I am left with the room setup being better suited to a remote volume control. So the question is…
If I put a passive preamp before the CSP3, purely for remote volume, am I going to destroy some aspect of my sound stage?
I currently have a Schiit Freya+ that have a very vanilla passive mode.
Thanks, Matt

WIIM Pro Plus
Denafrips Pontus II
Schiit Freya+
Willsenton R300B
Decware ZMA w 25th anniversary mods
Lii Audio F15 & W15 Open Baffles Speakers
  IP Logged
eresident
Verified Member

Re: Passive pre for remote volume prior to CSP3
Reply #1 - 01/24/24 at 01:24:24

Hi Matt,
In my point of view, adding a passive preamp for remote volume control before the CSP3 can be done, but it's important to consider potential impacts on your audio system's performance. The choice of a passive preamp and its impact on sound quality can vary depending on the specific components in your setup and your personal preferences. You need consider to Sound Quality or Remote Control Quality. it's essential to carefully consider and audition the setup to ensure it meets your expectations.

Best,
eresident

WWW   IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/24/24 at 15:23:38

I’ve been musing about adapting one of these:

I'm thinking of an outboard non-signal path accessory that uses a belt drive to rotate the existing pot kinda like Neil Young's guitar amp robot. How to make that pretty is a different animal…

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/24/24 at 20:36:59

I was going to dive into an Arduino or similar thing for remote volume last year. One thing led to another and it never got started. This post just may be the nudge to get me going. Since that time I added a CSP so I may need two of these, one for the UFO and one for the CSP. I believe I've posted this before, but this is going to be my starting point:
https://www.reddit.com/r/arduino/comments/aay79c/i_made_a_remotecontrolled_volum...

The control for the UFO should be pretty straightforward as the box can sit next to the amp. Haven't noodled the CSP yet, it may be a little more tricky with the horizontally mounted knob.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Viperfreq
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/31/24 at 00:34:20

Great information and suggestions…thank you.

WIIM Pro Plus
Denafrips Pontus II
Schiit Freya+
Willsenton R300B
Decware ZMA w 25th anniversary mods
Lii Audio F15 & W15 Open Baffles Speakers
  IP Logged
Glenn
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/31/24 at 17:10:44

For what its worth I am using a Denafrips Athena zero gain pre amp for volume control with my UFO25 Amp. I haven't noticed any denigration in the sound and my system is very revealing.

Niagara 1200, Sonos Port streamer, Denafrips Hermes DDC, Denafrips Pontus II DAC, Denafrips Athena pre-amp, Decware UFO25 amplifier, Klipsch Cornwall IV speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 01/31/24 at 19:05:58

I wonder if a person couldn't use a servo control from a remote control car or something like that to be a remote control?

Something that would fit over the current volume post?

Again, my mind wonders in strange ways.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/31/24 at 19:48:35

Donnie, I had that exact thought yesterday. I found one of my son's beat up RC cars and opened it up. Right off the bat it became obvious this won't work. Well, not without further tinkering anyhow. Problem is the motor is way too fast and I'd need to add something to the mix to slow it down. For a moment I was thinking, what if I disconnected the motor from the car and replaced it with a motorized pot from an old Yamaha receiver I have sitting around.

I scrapped that whole idea and ended up ordering two devices similar to the one that EdwardGT posted. Two of those came out cheaper than one Arduino build I was considering. Going to take 2-3 weeks to get the parts, once I get them and have some time to tinker I'll share the results.

During my search, I found this. It's definitely not cheap, but for someone who may not have the patience or skill to build their own it could be a good option.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1136750919/vintage-audio-remote-volume

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/31/24 at 20:35:12

Not sure if anyone has mentioned them but Tortuga audio has some nice passive preamps. Owner doesn't build anymore but for those who like to build he has kits. I have mine in from of my LTA Ultralinear amp and it does the job well.  

JD

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print