Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 13:49:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware over the air Radio? (Read 1659 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Decware over the air Radio?
01/27/24 at 02:57:54

FM 103.5 MHz.  If you get close to my house you can listen to my vinyl rig...

I had two problems... wanting to hear vinyl on the other side of the room without running long cables and a MR71 tuner not getting any use because radio around here sucks so bad you can't listen to it.

I decided to set up an FM transmitter on the east end of my listening room where my turntable and phono stage live and then transmit to the west end of the room where my House Speakers, the Headwreckers, and a variety of other speakers frequent so I can hear them on vinyl.

I dialed in the transmitter antenna length to 31.75 inches and then by ear the output level to .4 watts which is 4 x more than is needed to get across the room, but it sounds a lot better at .4 watts than at .1.

I have to say I am shocked at the sound I am getting from this setup.  Tonight just for kicks I decided to hook the Holo Audio DAC to it and stream with Roon just to see what happens.  To my surprise I have recreated the vintage sound I grew up with, we all grew up with.  Juicy tube console stereos that sounded warm, rich, big, and tight.  In a word ' musical ', in fact that's where the term probably comes from, that specific sound.

I've tried to reproduce that specific sound since the onset of Decware, but have never been able to capture it and without getting long winded I found out why.  It's the transmitter and receiver modulating the music on a carrier wave and the vintage tube radio that is making it happen. And the gain structure between the input and output of the transmitter relative to the tuner. Really fascinating. I wouldn't be surprised if when I put the west end of the room back on it's own DAC that I feel let down.  We'll see.

The sound is vintage, almost like magic, so much easier and more enjoyable to listen to than stock!  I really can't believe it.

Behind the transmitter is the tape machine and next to that is a wall full of radio station tapes spanning 1960-1990.  Each reel is 80 minutes.  Hmmm.

The transmitter above.  Cost around $400 plus a linear power supply $250.  I also now have an understanding why growing up some FM stations sounded great and there were always a couple that sounded comparatively like crap. When I was dialing in the transmitter I was able to achieve both sounds, so it was how the transmitters were dialed in more than the electronics. Lower power with higher gain sounds thin, compressed.  Higher power with lower gain sounds the opposite.

It sets on the amp transformer with strong magnets so that it becomes solidly grounded to earth.  Made it sound better.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Decware over the air Radio?
Reply #1 - 01/27/24 at 03:00:17

The Receiver

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 01/27/24 at 03:02:07

The experience

click to enlarge

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/27/24 at 03:42:35

I miss the sound we had as kids. What a great discovery!

Brian

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/27/24 at 12:37:22

Quote:
Behind the transmitter is the tape machine and next to that is a wall full of radio station tapes spanning 1960-1990.  Each reel is 80 minutes.  Hmmm.

Wink Some of the things us old birds think of! Decware radio spanning the Peoria metropolitan area with daily build list updates while playing your favorite 60s acid tunes Grin

Going to move that triangle to make room for an antenna 📡?

All kidding aside, I use to have a Pioneer SX750 reciever that on special late FM broadcast nights would blow my socks off with out of this world 3D imaging. Gave it to my daughter when she attended college working on her masters with custom built speakers. Got the speakers back being used in my shop. Not sure what happened to the receiver. Wish I still had it!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/27/24 at 14:18:11

I still love my Dynaco FM3 tuner. For jazz and classical stations the sound is superb.

IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #6 - 01/27/24 at 15:25:17

My first recognition of high quality music came in 1945.  Sitting on my Grandmothers lap listening to her floor standing radio.

That radio sounded so much better than her crank up Victrola.

Later, I peeked around back of the radio and saw those glowing tubes.  Still love to look at the tubes.

Memories........

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/29/24 at 12:44:58

Quote:
That radio sounded so much better than her crank up Victrola.

No doubt. One thing to note about spinning 78s on Victrolas is the organic sound that is very engaging. Decware gets my foot tapping. My Victrolas get my body moving and a swaying. Definitely no comparison in dynamics but the Victrolas do connect.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #8 - 01/29/24 at 13:24:04

Good Morning JBzen,,

I should have known there was someone out there that still enjoys the sound of the old technology.  That was just my three year old experience.

Also, you would likely be horrified to learn that I once took a beautiful floor standing Victrola and gutted it and installed a big old SS amp inside.  That is something that I would not do in today's world.

Please forgive me.

Small treated room
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 01/29/24 at 13:45:57

My brother has my grandfather's Victrola and a few dozen 78s within the bottom of the cabinet. We listened to these as kids, including one that was of my Dad's national award-winning speech. 78s sound good through this, though I have to say that the best I've heard 78s was through a portable all-in-one electric unit a swing bass player I know has in Austin.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #10 - 01/29/24 at 19:22:37

Obviously I'm not the only "Old Salt" in the crowd.

As a very young lad I had a radio with a pin and a rock and headphone.  It was fascinating  to be able to listen to broadcasts from far away places.

Small treated room
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/29/24 at 21:21:38

I had a 1940/41 Zenith like this one as a kid. My parents let me put it in my room as a youngster. A few years ago, I ran across one just like it...and my wife later snuck buying it for me. She's pretty sneaky. Love this old radio and it still works perfectly. Plays early mornings with my coffee. Back in the day when things were made like a tank. God Bless America.  [smiley=icqlite20.png]

05A43332d_2s.jpg
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/29/24 at 21:34:59

FM radio got me hooked on music. I still listen to a lot of fm radio, thankfully Boston has some cool stations. I currently listen via a Magnum Dynalab 108t and it is sublime.
Imagine being Steve's neighbor? God would that be a blast.

JD

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #13 - 01/30/24 at 00:11:59

Steve….since you are setting up the live radio station….would you be willing to run the Decfest live feed in tandem, so fellow Decware owners can listen in as well.

Just a thought.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/30/24 at 06:08:31

Call sign WZEN?

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 01/30/24 at 10:37:40

Lon, I first purchased both Victrolas in not so good shape. The 1920 table model had the lid ripped from the base. The sound box had broken suspension and one of the two power springs was broken. It also had the usably needs of an overhaul(old harden grease and corrections needed from former attempts to fix). The other floor model needed the soundbox rebuilt and horn mounting casting replaced along with the previous mentioned overhaul.
After a rebuild of the sound boxes, I was impressed of how loud these old victrolas play and thoroughly understand the use of the doors for volume control. The course planned with the old players has been charted carefully - mainly concentrated on the progression of the technology at the time of sound. The table model has the #2 sound box with the initial horn design. The floor model has a orthophonic sound box with next larger horn design. Right now I am looking at the Victrola apex model with the largest horn ever in production for the company. It has an electric motor.

Paul2, no offense taken...I have my share of molestations of things that could fill another thread Wink I remember when my brother and I sent a day fooling with two soup cans and string talking to each other across the yard.

You have a good wife Mike. Life is grand with a good partener! Mine can bug the sh*t out of me but at the end of the day I am very grateful to have her. Smiley      

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #16 - 01/30/24 at 22:51:32

WARE

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print