Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 11:59:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do Input Tubes Need to Be Matched? (Read 379 times)
bloodlemons

Do Input Tubes Need to Be Matched?
01/12/24 at 02:58:55

I'm reading a lot of conflicting information about this. If I can't find a matched quad of, say, a particular brand of 6922 input tubes for my ZMA, is it crucial or significantly desirable to have all four tubes matched in the sense that they all test the same on the Hickock tube tester or whatever it is that people use to test such things? If I find four tubes of the same type and/or manufacturer and, theoretically one is at 90%, one is at 75%, one is at 80% and one is at 88%, does it make a difference if they're all running in the ZMA at the same time as long as the power tubes are bias matched on the meters?

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: Do Input Tubes Need to Be Matched?
Reply #1 - 01/12/24 at 04:36:16

Hi. I would stick with the tube matching guidance on page 11 in the ZMA manual. Thanks

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Re: Do Input Tubes Need to Be Matched?
Reply #2 - 01/12/24 at 05:35:12

Good reminder. The manual is more specific than I remember. Thanks!

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print