Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 09:18:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaker Recommendations (Read 1672 times)
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Speaker Recommendations
12/17/23 at 20:30:06

I’m looking for some DIY speaker recommendations. I recently sold my wife’s office bookshelf speakers. They were originally my office Klipsch bookshelves and I had them on the used market for years. I gave them to her to use until they sold; now years later they have sold, she loved them, and I may be in the doghouse if I don’t find her something else.
Initially I made her some small open baffles from some Lii F-6’s that Lii sent me for free… unfortunately they sound like s**t.
I have a pile of nice hardwood and enough patience to build some new small open baffles but not boxes. Just can’t do box speakers anymore.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a 6” or 8” full range driver with QTS suitable for open baffle? They don’t have to be audiophile heaven, but decent. Thank you in advance.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Speaker Recommendations
Reply #1 - 12/17/23 at 21:19:08

Wild Burro Audio Lab "Betsy" 8" drivers. $125/pr. + shipping. Here's a link:

https://wildburroaudio.com/speakers/

They're what Randy uses in is famous Caintuck Audio Betsy Baffles.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #2 - 12/18/23 at 02:54:51

Hi  Gilf,

I have speakers I bought originally from Randy, 8 " Lii drivers. I will send you details tomorrow.

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/18/23 at 03:06:30

For some reason I was under the impression that the Betsy’s weren’t made anymore. I did send them an email after reading your rec, HK, and Tony if you have a pair you’re willing to part with i am interested.

I recall reading somewhere in the forum years past Recommendations that DD and Steve had but for the life of me cannot find them buried here anymore.

I appreciate the help.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/18/23 at 04:46:46

Hey Gilf,

I believe that I have a pair (or maybe three, I can’t remember) Betsy drivers around here somewhere (I’m remodeling - in addition to being naturally disorganized). So if you don’t find a pair (or three, if you want to make a center channel) from someone else, let me know, and I’ll look around.

Randy

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/18/23 at 14:48:27

This forum is such a great community and resource! I’ll take one of you up on your offer. Thank you so much for the help.  [smiley=peanuts01.gif]

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #6 - 12/18/23 at 15:00:25

Hey Gilf,

From the Lii Song website, here is a link to the "8-inch Full range Drivers Fast-8:"

https://www.lii-audio.com/product/one-pair-new-8-fullrange-drivers-fine-and-clea...

They are currently priced at $199.00.  I would sell them at $100.00 and include shipping.

Send me a PM if interested.  I can send pictures.

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/18/23 at 21:43:45

Again, I am grateful for the help and suggestions. I came here looking for a recommendation and found not only recommendations but offers for drivers available from the community. So cool.

Randy, I appreciate your offer and would like to try a set of Betsy’s one of these days. But for now I’ve jumped on a great deal from Tony and look forward to trying another Lii product. I’ve been incredibly happy with the F15s and W15s in my main system.  Though there is something very appealing to me about American made Betsy’s to pair with my USA Decware’s.

Tony, much gratitude to you. Peace.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/19/23 at 01:29:11

Gilf,

No problem at all. Glad that one of us on the forum was able to get you what your need.

Randy

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/23/23 at 00:11:33

“Bookshelf Betsy’s” or “mini-Masters”? WAF is high. Thank you.

IMG_4425.jpeg
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #10 - 12/23/23 at 04:19:56

Absolutely beautiful!! If they sound as good as they look, and I think they will, you have created a stunning speaker.

Tony

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/23/23 at 04:58:12

Gilf,

WOW!

Randy

IP Logged
JMeader

Reply #12 - 12/28/23 at 17:25:45

another option are DIY

https://www.css-audio.com/online-store/CSS-Criton-1TD-X-Kit-Pair-p221163830

These are highly reviewed

GSR  also has a DIy kit that is equally respected

https://gr-research.com/product/x-ls-encore/

CD's Digitized via Exact Copy
Music Files read by Audirvana Studio
on Win10 PC
Sent to Pontus 2 12th -1 via USB
out XLR to Schiit Frya S PreAmp
Torii Jr V2
to fully updated 1987 La Scala's
  IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 01/03/24 at 20:01:15

Wow Gilf, those came out beautifully. What kind of wood is that that you used? I'm also curious how you cut the curved sides to the baffle? Very nice work!

Dave

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/03/24 at 21:28:08

Thanks, Dave. They wouldn’t exist without the kind members here. The baffles are made from white ash, finished with about a dozen coats of Howard’s Feed and Wax.  I used a jigsaw to cut the rounded sides and a router for the center hole.
Cheers!

IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 01/04/24 at 00:29:06

Thanks for the info.  Love the grain pattern of the wood and the natural finish. Great work!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print