Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/08/24 at 08:42:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Now the amplifier has four 15-inch woofers... (Read 962 times)
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Now the amplifier has four 15-inch woofers...
12/03/23 at 14:49:47

I was reading the UFO25TH manual the other day and something stood out to me.

Big Speakers vs. Small speakers...

It is important to understand that while counter intuitive, this small amp likes large speakers. A great example would be a guy who started with a single 8-inch full-range driver on each channel. It’s a nice match, indeed... smallish speaker for a smallish amplifier. However, after being inspired by some large open baffle speakers and a phone call to us, he installed two 15 inch low frequency woofers above and two more below the eight-inch drivers that he had! This pumps the efficiency way up there and puts a scale to the bass not obtainable with a single 8-inch driver.

Now the amplifier has four 15-inch woofers and one 8-inch full-range driver per channel with a simple passive crossover on each speaker. The difference has to be heard to be believed, but since this amplifier will drive loads down to 2 ohms all day long, or as high as 16 ohms, there are lots of possibilities. Just understand that the larger the speaker, the more efficient it tends to be, and the lower the bass response. Hi-Fi speakers with tons of drivers and 84dB sensitivity are not what we’re talking about here. Vintage speakers from the 1950’s which tend to be in the high 90’s and even 100dB 1w/1m are a fun pairing too...

The UFO25 loves these speakers and the speakers love the UFO25.

Light and delicate to rumbling shaking the concrete slab it has it covered.

It honestly took me a long, very long, extremely long time to stop thinking about 2 watts. I would giggle to myself that 2 watts could do what it was doing-it's absurd. I was so wrapped up with the 400+ watt amps for so long it just doesn't seem possible that a small amps with 2 watts can create such a massive sound.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Now the amplifier has four 15-inch woofers...
Reply #1 - 12/03/23 at 15:20:20

Quote:
Posted by: GroovySauce      Posted on: Today at 06:49:47

... I would giggle to myself that 2 watts could do what it was doing-it's absurd...

If you think 2 UFO25  watts is good you should hear 5.

But seriously, I would love, LOVE, to have a room like yours that would work with those speakers, and was treated to an inch of its life. But alas, we all have to make trade offs.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/03/23 at 15:59:29

Absolutely stunning room pic—love the lighting and the way the 25th is positioned (and lit up) as if giving life to the entire rig.  I definitely align with the camp of larger, more efficient speakers and using less watts.  There’s magic in that combination.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/03/23 at 19:15:06

Quote:
If you think 2 UFO25  watts is good you should hear 5

I suggest you pack them up and head to East Tennessee! Cheesy

Kamran, thank you, it gives life in more ways than one. While we are at it why don't both of you coordinate, Kamran can bring the Sarah and CAJames can bring the 50's We can then go from 2 watts up to 40 watts of Decware bliss.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/04/23 at 04:15:12

Damn, that sounds so tempting! I think I need to invest in a pelican case soon.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print