Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Enter the tube (Read 1863 times)
Karl
Verified Member

Enter the tube
11/29/23 at 15:00:28

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but not to HiFi. I post here to get some general advice as I dip my toes into the world of Decware.
First a little background.  I am a physician scientist in Ann Arbor, I take care of sick newborns and do genetic research.  Music is and has been for me a sanctuary from other challenges in life. I started hanging out in hifi shops and buying used gear in the 80s (high school).  I have evolved my taste in hifi setups over the years.  I currently enjoy my main rig in a common room in our house.  The front end is a Kuzma Stabi R table with two arms (Fidelity Research FR-64S with a Koetsu RSP and a Kuzma 4 point 9 with a SoundSmith Hyperion). Phonostage and pre are Pass Labs xp-27 and 22. For amplification and speakers I use Vandersteen M5-HPA and Vandersteen Quatros.  The only tubes in the system are in my Marantz 10b tuner. I post on audiogon occasionally and my system is described there. I love how this system displays the recordings as if I were in the 10th row of an auditorium. It is a relaxed full range sound that gets out of the way of the music.

OTOH, I have several buddies with tube based systems that I also enjoy. One is a complete Audio Tekne system and is amazing. Another is all vintage Marantz with Nola loudspeakers. Infact, the main reason I started lurking here is that I have the itch to build a second 2 channel system that is different than my main rig described above and tube based. A close friend has lent me his father's Marantz 8b amp which I have been using to drive a pair of 90db efficient solidly 8 ohm two ways, the Vandersteen 1C.  This second system is in my finished basement which is much more acoustically absorbed (concrete foundation, carpeting) than my very open very live main rig space. This lends itself to more intimate listening sessions. I love the way it sounds with the Marantz 8b (an EL34 based push-pull). I do occasionally hear a pentode harshness or presence when my listening levels approach the upper 80s db. I usually listen in the upper 70s.  I love the liquidity and palpable presence that seems to characterize the Marantz.

I am all sorted for digital streamer and turntable for the second system.  I figured my next step would be a tube amp.  I'd like one that would ultimately match well with a future pair of more efficient speakers like Zu Druid/Omega?/Wolf Von Langa SON but would still work with the entry level Vandersteens. This leads me to believe that a ZMA or TORII MK V might be the ticket?  

What do you all think?  Is there a super huge difference in Decware sound between the higher watt models and the lower watt SETs?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Enter the tube
Reply #1 - 11/29/23 at 15:13:23

Welcome!

My personal experience is. . . that there is a sonic difference between the SET Decware amps and the push pull larger amps. I've lived a long time with both. . .ultimately over the years it seemed clear to me that I like the SET sound more. Especially as you are enjoying an "intimate" sound in this system I'd recommend the SET amps, and the SEWE300B should I think handle your speakers at the levels you listen AND will give you wonderful sound. I'm listening to my SEWE300B right now, and I have to admit that it is the best amplifier I have ever had. If I could start over now I'd start with the SEWE300B (which was not even a possibility to put on a dream list when I started the audiophile journey 30 years ago!)

If only Steve were one of octuplets and the freaking build list wasn't so long and the wait longer!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 11/29/23 at 15:45:59

Welcome!

Let me say a couple of things about Decware in general. The first is there is a waiting list, if you aren't already aware of it. If you were to order a new amp today delivery would be on the order of 4 years from now. The second is, if you like the sound of classic Marantz tube gear the Decware "house sound" is different. Where as Marantz (I don't know Audio Tekne, but suspect it is pointed in a similar direction to Marantz) tends to sound "warm" and "lush" Decware is much more "fast" and "transparent." Decware amps have what I would call a beautiful tube liquidity, but not the classic tube warmth. I would say current Audio Research tube gear is in the general ballpark sound-wise.

Quote:
What do you all think?  Is there a super huge difference in Decware sound between the higher watt models and the lower watt SETs?

Now, if the above doesn't scare you away let me address your actual question. There are certainly differences between the Decware push-pull amps and the SETs, but they are not "super huge." Smaller than the difference between any Decware amp and a Marantz 8B, at least based on my memory of old Marantz amps. Both SET and PP have their fans, and there are many many posts on the forum comparing and contrasting them. I got into Decware because I needed a replacement for my Pass Labs SEM (single ended MOSFET) amps and gravitated to the UFO SETs. I have a pair of UFO25s configured as balanced mono blocs. But, you can't go wrong with any Decware amp IMO, the important technical consideration is that it matches your speakers, your room and your expectations for how loud you want to listen.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Karl
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/29/23 at 17:03:04

I am certainly aware of the waiting list.  Which is an unfortunate reality and may ultimately determine what amp I amplifier I use.  The way I look at it, I'm in it to learn and if I have something satisfying in the meantime the waiting list doesn't bother me. I prioritize smaller manufactures and North American made products. (No objection to Chinese, European or Japanese etc, just not a plus in my book compared to American designs.)

I will say here that in my experience, transparency without loosing tonality is what I'm looking for.  Musical details. The Marantz sound is meaty more than warm in my system. This could be the fresh quad of Gold Lion KT77 I've been listening with?   I should add that I had a brand new Audio Research i50 integrated amplifier in the system for a month.  This is a push pull design with 6922 input tubes and 6550 outputs.  I enjoyed this amp in my system even more than the Marantz. Especially after it had 50 hours on it.

Given the waiting list, sounds like exploring other examples of SET and push pull might be educational. I see here that some others have enjoyed Aric Audio products.  What other amps are nice placeholders?

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/29/23 at 17:03:10

Hello Karl and welcome to the forum. The ZMA and Torii MkV offer you greater flexibility with regard to less efficient speakers, especially when paired with a preamp which provides additional gain. I have driven my Vandersteen 2CE's with my ZMA - CSP3 preamp combination to satisfying listening levels.

FWIW the Torii MKV may be your best option. Why, well you can use a wider variety of power tubes in this amplifier. For those speakers requiring more juice a set of KT88's might work best, while you might prefer some EL34 or KT77 tubes for more efficient speakers. In short the Torii provides a bit more flexibility.

I would suggest you consider getting 25th Anniversary modifications for whichever Decware amplifier you might purchase and again pair with a Decware preamp if at all possible. If you don't want to endure the LONG wait for a new amp you can purchase a used one (follow the forum classifieds) and have it sent to Steve for a check over & new set of tubes. This will provide you the benefit a lifetime warranty transfer. I expect to see several used Decware amps up for sale in 2024 as many fans have Sarah 300B amps on order.

Good luck and Happy Listening.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Karl
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 11/29/23 at 17:28:14

Great to hear from another Vandersteen user!  I had a pair of 2ci for many years while in training.  

I didn't realize that the Torii would allow for more output tube options.  I'll read more. Thanks also for mentioning the used option. I will look at the classifieds for sure.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/30/23 at 17:23:43

Karl, Go with your gut. Both the Decware SET and PP/ultra linear have the Decware house sound. If power isn't a consideration, it comes down to for me which X factor do you prefer? They both have the magic that makes them special. The X factor is slightly different and due to the nature of it, it really needs to be experienced.

So, go with your gut.

The Torii has 5 tube location options. 4 of the locations have a plethora of options to try. VR tube slot is more limited.

The ZMA doesn't have a tube rectifier. So one less rolling option than the Torii.

Quote:
I will say here that in my experience, transparency without loosing tonality is what I'm looking for.

GL KT77 are my favorite power tubes in the Torii and ZMA. They are how you describe. Cymbals are a good example. They have bite with no sting, a surprising warmth comes through, can hear the cymbal rolling as it rings.

Get on the list and come to Decfest next October  :D

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
cmdc

Reply #7 - 12/01/23 at 20:38:29

I have a ZMA and an SE84UFO25 side by side in my main system, both running into a pair of Zu Druids. I got the ZMA first and absolutely loved it with the Zu Druids, the Caintuck F15 OBs, and my less efficient Von Schweikert VR4jr iii.  Once I added the SE84UFO25 to the system, I have typically defaulted to it because I found it a bit faster and more transparent. But it’s never made me love the ZMA any less, and I love listening to it again during -eriodic stretches when the UFO25 is elsewhere in the house.

I haven’t tried my Torii Mk V in the same system yet, but with other high efficiency speakers, it is outstanding. And the Mk IV I had before that did admirably with both high efficiency and lower efficiency speakers.

All this is to say: whether you go with the ZMA, Torii, or an SET, they will all do great things with high efficiency speakers. The ZMA and Torii will give you some flexibility to work with slightly lower efficiency  speakers as well.

Get on the waitlist for whichever one best fits the system you have or want to build. In the meantime, you can watch this forum and HiFiShark in hopes of snagging something sooner.  If you’re willing to experiment, you’re extremely unlikely to be disappointed, whichever Decware amp you buy.

Main:[[TD124 [Koetsu RWS>SME 3009S2Imp][Aidas Durawood>Moerch DP6]][TD124 [Ortofon A90>Kuzma 4Pt9]]>Ned Clayton Cinemag SUT>Dodd Audio Phono Stage>ZRock2][SonicTransporter i7>Mytek Brooklyn Bridge]>ZSB>ZMA>[Zu Druid Mk V][Caintuck Lii 15 OBs/Bass Baffle]
  IP Logged
Karl
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 12/01/23 at 21:54:03

@Groovysauce and @cmdc,

Thanks for those comments. What I am hearing is that both the TORII and ZMA will pair with a 90 db speaker (the Vandy 1C has a nice flat impedance curve as well) and give me a nice perspective on the sound and ethos of Decware.

Nothing beats trying something in your home system.  So I will pursue this and report back when I can.  One of the long time members here has privately offered to sell their TORII MKIV.  Seems like the way to go.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/02/23 at 12:03:33

Karl,

The Torii MKIV is special. I wish I didn't sell mine, I have very few regrets in my audio journey selling the Torii MKIV is one of them.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #10 - 12/02/23 at 16:21:07

Quote:
Posted by: Karl      Posted on: Yesterday at 13:54:03

...One of the long time members here has privately offered to sell their TORII MKIV.  Seems like the way to go.

Yes! Jumping the wait list and skipping the annoying burnin is hitting the jackpot IMO.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #11 - 12/03/23 at 20:52:38

@Karl, I would definitely recommend pulling the trigger on the Tori MKIV. You get the head start to see what it is like and can always sell it should you desire to when you are ready for the amplifier of choice in order. I wish I had done this SOONER. I entered the wait list January 2022 for a Torii MKV and recently purchased a used SE84 from a forum member. So glad I did. 2+ watts into 84db speakers is actually excellent in my smallish room.

Still looking forward to the Torii coming in early next year and the SE84 will most likely stay as well. I could not be happier.

IP Logged
Karl
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 12/03/23 at 21:39:22

Trigger has been pulled!  And a set of Cryotone tubes in addition to stock.

I’ll make sure to let you all know how it sounds in my system.  Thanks all for being so welcoming.

IP Logged
Karl
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 12/16/23 at 19:47:43

I received the Torii mk IV last Friday but have been out of town or busy at work.  That hasn't stopped me from getting in three great listening sessions.  The setup is fairly simple. Source is a custom turntable with a Lyra Etna SL on a Kuzma Stogi 12" arm.  I use a Bob's Devices 1:15 SUT.  Digital source is a Bel Canto E1X PRE/DAC with Roon.  The bel canto is super flexible as it functions as a phono pre and can control DSP output to sub woofers. I am sending signals less than 60Hz to the subs and filtering off signals below 60hz going to the main speakers through the Decware. Cabling is a mish mosh of Nordost Frey ICs and Kimber 8TC speaker. Use an Audioquest Niagara 1200 conditioner and a dedicated 15amp cicuit. Speakers are Vandersteen 1C and Vandersteen V2W subs.

OK.  With all that noted, I started with all stock tubes from Decware with a pair of red tipped 6922 input tubes and EL34s from EH. Listening after several hours of warmup time. My first impressions are very positive. The Decware largely preserves the nice "palapable presence" of the Marantz 8 but adds incredible depth and width of sound staging and layering and separation of instruments. Exactly what I was hoping for.  The presentation is on the mellow side without sounding muddy.  The marantz could start to have a bite to it when listening at higher volumes (>80db).    

I have the regenerative feedback switches on and the bass EQ switches on. Treble is all the way up (not trimmed) and I prefer the 8 ohm setting on these speakers so far.

Planning to roll in different output tubes first.  I have a matched quad of JJ EL34, Cryotone KT77 and Gold Lion KT77.  This is going to be fun. Cheesy

-Karl

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print