Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 16:41:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
5 Critical questions regarding Setup of SE34I.6 (Read 742 times)
bsac
Verified Member

5 Critical questions regarding Setup of SE34I.6
11/24/23 at 19:56:22

5 Critical questions regarding Setup and basic hook-ups of peripherals.

I am in line to purchase a MODEL SE34I.6.

I have basic newbie questions as follows:

1) Do i need a pre-amp in order hook up my 1975 Pioneer PL-51 turntable to the RCA inputs on the Decware MODEL SE34I.6?

2) I downloaded the owners manual for the Decware MODEL SE34I.6 but it is missing a simple photograph of the unit with callouts of the function of each feature, i.e.  input, output, knobs, levels, etc... Does someone on this forum have one they can share? THis will critical for me to understand how to hook up all my peripherals.

3) Why doesn't the  MODEL SE34I.6 have balanced inputs like all other audiophile gear?

4) What is the single blue colored RCA input/output on the MODEL SE34I.6 which sits next to all (4) RCA jacks?

5) Is it safe to use an A/B Amp switch with the MODEL SE34I.6? My plan is to install an A/B amp switch so that i can toggle between the MODEL SE34I.6 and a solid state amp. If so, what inputs would you use?

Best, bob

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: 5 Critical questions regarding Setup of SE34I.6
Reply #1 - 11/25/23 at 16:08:25

bsac- Welcome to the forums. I have a Rachael amp and can answer some of your questions.
1. No, you will need a phono stage to properly amplify your phono cartridge signal and process the RIAA eq curve to the signal. Decware makes an excellent phono stage called the ZP3, I use one. Also a lot will depend on what kind of phono cartridge you use/are planing on using.
2. If you look at the order page for the Rachael amp, you will see all the options you can have for number of inputs, outputs for subwoofers etc. Your connections will be based on your options selected.
3. Can't answer that one though I am certain that someone else on the forum can. I don't have them and wouldn't want to have to pay for the additional circuitry for them.
4. The single blue RCA jack would be an output to drive a subwoofer, an option you can add or not. I have them but run our subwoofer via the speaker outputs.
5. I guess you could, but after getting our Decware gear I have no desire to use another amp.
I hope this helps and I hope some others will chime in and help fill in the blanks.
More info about your system plans might help others in addressing your questions. Happy listeing, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 11/25/23 at 16:49:10

Quote:
Posted by: hdrider      Posted on: Today at 08:08:25

1. No, you will need a phono stage to properly amplify your phono cartridge signal and process the RIAA eq curve to the signal...

I just want to clarify that there are in fact "full function" preamps that include a phono stage if that is what you want. But they are rare these days relative to dedicated phono stages. You just have to be sure the pre has the actual phono stage, and that it is appropriate for your cartridge. A lot of "preamps" have an input labeled "phono" but assume you have a separate phono stage.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 12/01/23 at 03:08:15

Quote:
3) Why doesn't the  MODEL SE34I.6 have balanced inputs like all other audiophile gear?

Welcome to the forum!  The answer is the model ZBIT.  Zen Balanced Input Transformer.  It is one of our black boxes that we manufacture.  It coverts XLR to RCA with a Sowter transformer and features a variable output level up to the full balanced voltage of your source.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print