Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/30/24 at 11:32:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
More watts for SE34I.6, possible? (Read 653 times)
PFS
Verified Member

More watts for SE34I.6, possible?
11/13/23 at 18:04:01

I own a SE34I.6 and it sounds great. It's paired with Klipschorns with
Volti mods. Many times while listening I long for a little more power, more head room. Will switching to kt88s help. Will a preamp help?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: More watts for SE34I.6, possible?
Reply #1 - 11/14/23 at 04:47:11

What is your source? The amp needs 2.5 volts input for full power so if your source can’t do that than a preamp would help. Even if you don’t need the extra amplification my experience is a quality tube preamp will add a little secret sauce to the sound that can make it sound louder even if the amp isn’t putting out any more watts. Same with the KT88, I don’t think you’ll get any more power, but it might sound like you are.

How old are your current power tubes? It’s also possible they are getting weak. Only way to know for sure is to try a new pair.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Rhtubes
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 11/21/23 at 00:45:42

Actually I asked Steve on this message board and he said that it is closer to 1.5V for the SE34I.6

IP Logged
riknbkr330
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/26/23 at 14:46:18

I use a ZBIT for a little extra added umph from my Oppo BD105.  Also using 6n2p preamp tubes gives the unit a little more gain, but at the expense of headroom...gain to distortion.  

I also use KT88s on my Rachael.  I noticed a better bottom end and nice treble detail.  

For my TT, I chose to take the output of my ZP3 into a NAD 320BEE, and made that a preamp as I could use the remote.  The Oppo also allows me to use it's remote as a volume control.  
I've set my Rachael to max volume, and away we go to listening Nirvana.

Main System:
Decware Rachael; Omega Monitor 7; Omega deep8 sub; Oppo BD-105>Zbit; Rega P5; Dynavector 20X2L;Parks Budgie SUT; Decware ZP3.
Second System: Creek Classic 5350SE; Rega RS1; Dual 1264; Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print