Tube repair (Read 540 times)
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Tube repair
10/30/23 at 04:04:39

The other day one of my amps failed to power up. This surprised me as it had been playing the night before. Looking closer I noticed a 6SL7 not lighting up, substituted another in its place & I was back in business. I was feeling fortunate that a tube was all that was wrong but concerned about the cause of the failure of a somewhat expensive valve. Maybe I’ve learned this trick here but here’s what I did. With the tube sitting pins up I warmed up my iron & applied some heat & solder to the holes in the centers of each pin. Now in retrospect I probably could have tried just heating up the pins with no additional solder ( I had to clean up excess solder from the exterior of the pins) or used a meter to see which pin was open but felt it was good to practice getting solder down such a little hole. In this case I was lucky enough to be successful & that tube is back in place sounding like it never missed a beat. So if you have a tube go dark as opposed to red plating & going nuclear give that a try before discarding.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Re: Tube repair
Reply #1 - 10/30/23 at 23:49:35

Very interesting! Course i didnt know there were holes there…🙄 But if that happens ill give er a try!
Randall

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Re: Tube repair
Reply #2 - 10/31/23 at 04:12:41

It’s an old fashioned octal thing like lacquering loose bases to maintain pin connections.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print