Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/08/24 at 20:48:21 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2x25 = 50th Anniversary UFOs (Read 10479 times)
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Re: 2x25 = 50th Anniversary UFOs
Reply #50 - 11/18/23 at 19:16:07

Quote:
I may try swapping a tube in here and there to see if I definitely prefer the full set of Cryotones, but will keep the full set in for a bit to get familiar with what they’re giving me.

Yes, get a good handle on what you're hearing.  What you like and what you don't like.  Then step back, so to speak, if there's something you don't like try to figure out if it's as a result of the tubes or possibly something else upstream that is now being revealed.

If you haven't tried the CryoTone 12AU7-WCL long plate, try it!  But not right away.  Listen to what you have for at least 40 hours and then try the CryoTone 12AU7-WCL in the UFO25 input position with a good adapter.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #51 - 11/18/23 at 22:20:46

Groovy- I’ve had the amp for about 5 months now. I estimate between 1000-1100 hours. I feel like I hit a new level the past two weeks, so though it sounds reliably great now, there are still small improvements, which I know have been discussed here before. Interestingly, I’ve been researching different speakers for a not so near consideration, but I was looking at the Zu Dirty Weekend and Union 6 manuals. There is a good bit of info and graphs about break in/ burn in and differences with burn in of different types of capacitors. The Dirty Weekend 6 is available with three different capacitor options. They show burn in of the version with Carity caps typically stabilize after about 1100 hrs, while the Jupiters take a few hundred hours more. It’s a good read regardless of if you are considering their speakers or not.
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/51dd8a95e4b0ff2f7c9874ae/t/640f6bd5261585...
I see you’re using a Little Loco and I have some questions about transimpedance phono stages. Will post in the vinyl section later.

James- Totally agree. But I think what I was hearing before was more to break in than flavor of the week. This is all in looking at it in hindsight. Actually it was probably mid to late July when I started playing around with different tube combos and the Cryotone set was the first set I put in after some break in. So perhaps closer to 150-200 hrs in. I can say the first 50 or 100 hours I loved the low bias (switch to the front) and the switch to the back sounded bad to me and I never used it. But after a couple hundred hours and a different tube combo, I preferred the higher bias position. They both now sound good, but different flavor, while early on it was more good and bad sounding to me. Before there was a clear preference with the NOS tube combo I settled on at the time, but now that same combo is as good, but a different flavor than the Cryotones. The Cryotones seem to give me more body and fill the room better with soundstage depth.

Joman- Thanks. Good advice. I’m usually pretty methodical about making changes, so agree that it’s best to sit with things a while. My main source is my analog side and I’m mainly very happy with what I have except perhaps to upgrade the phono stage at some point. Considered a ZRock at some point, but not sure I need it right now until I consider a more full range speaker option and ditch the sub. That’s for a much later date. I’m intrigued by the Cryotone 12AU7 and had chatted with Don before about it. May give it a shot in the next few weeks. Is there an adapter you recommend as “good”? I’ve seen mention of Xuling Audio Labs on eBay. Would that be the best way to go, or did you have another recommendation?

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #52 - 11/18/23 at 22:23:05

BTW, I isolated the hiss to one of the ECC88’s in my preamp. Since I just put these back in, I’ll see if I should try to let these cook for a bit more before anything else.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #53 - 11/18/23 at 22:40:22

One more thing I am wondering. I’m not an EE and have much less experience than many of you, so can only explain what I am hearing. I wonder if the differences early on in break in were due to how the amp responded to different voltage from the rectifier, at that stage? The sound had improved when I went from the 5AR4 to type 80 and 5R4GY tubes, which have much higher voltage drop. The differences at this point between them seem more subtle and the 5AR4 no longer sound thick and veiled as they did then. Maybe I’m just crazy.  :D

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 11/19/23 at 18:59:32

Quote:

These are the adapters that I got.  There may be better, with these I had no complaints.

I got 2 ceramic gold plated socket and 1 with the Korea tin plated Korea socket.  I think the Korea may be a Belton socket.  I decided to try each in turn to see if there would be a difference in the sound.  There was.  When I had my CSP3 I had the gold plated in it and the tin plated in the UFO25.

Right now my system isn't set up so I don't know which I will end up using in the UFO25.

Quote:
Maybe I’m just crazy.

No you're not crazy... mind you, some think that audiophiles are crazy 🤷‍♂️.  
There could be a number of reasons to explain what happened.  In some areas incoming power is affected at different times of the day and that can have an affect.

Once I had a similar experience and couldn't figure out what was going on until I noticed that the rectifier that I thought I had rolled in fact I didn't roll.  The original was still in place! 🙄🤦‍♂️ felt like a 🦍.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 11/20/23 at 20:29:27

Thanks CA and Groovy for the pointers on the VR tubes, I'm slowly wrapping my head around it. It gives me something to read while I visit my parents in the hospital. I've got a 0B3 and 0D3 on the way for some experimenting.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 11/21/23 at 03:19:11

James, you had me at “I’m home”.  What a beautiful way to describe it! I can relate to it considering I took a 2-month hiatus from listening and what I am experiencing now is “I’m home and it looks damn sexy after the remodel’ (I hope I can also say that about the actual house once the on-going remodel concludes).

Thx—for clarifying that your comment was based on the other 300b amp.  With Sarah, I think I’m getting both (beauty and truth).

Love that you’re already tube rolling—-fantastic discussion from other members—-lots to learn from this thread!  I have for now decided to take things slow (I’ll share more in my thread).

Oh, can we have a picture of your new setup please?

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #57 - 11/21/23 at 16:59:06

Thanks Kamran. Funny thing about the pictures. The view from my listening seat isn't very impressive because the amps are hiding behind the speakers. I have a plan to break out the tripod and tilt-shift lens to take an official portrait and perhaps your request will motivate me to do that. In the mean time here is an iphone quicky.

You and many others geek out on support and isolation (not that there is anything wrong with that) while I just dabble in it. You might see the amp is atop my "Pass Labs amp stand" but you can't see they are resting on the cheap "cork and rubber" anti-vibration pads from Amazon. Works for me.

If you're keeping score the speaker wire in the back is the same milspec cable Decware uses for the ZSTYX. 8 gauge to the speakers, 10 gauge for the short jumper. The power cable is from ebay (i.e. China) and the input cable was custom made by an ebay seller with Litz silver wire.

Anyway, I'm back home after a trip to visit Mrs. CA's family and already enjoying some listening. The system sounds great!

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #58 - 11/22/23 at 01:29:47

This has been a very interesting day....and it isn't over yet.

I started out by going back to the 53KU rectifiers, which sounded really good. More air and more space, but slightly less bass compared to the GZ33. Then I added one of my favorite input tubes from the UFOs, RCA black plate 6CG7. For those unfamiliar, the 6CG7/6FQ7 tubes are 9 pin tubes with the electrical properties of a 6SN7. You can use them in place of a 6DJ8/6922/ECC88 without an adapter. They made the sound even better, but I figured I should try a 0D3 instead of a 0C3 in front and wow. With the bias switch at high the sound was just amazing. Huge sound stage, tons of detail, all the bass I could want (or expect from my 6 1/2" single driver speakers) and just the most living, liquid sound I've ever heard.

I could have stopped there, but the 6CG7 was so good there was another tube I wanted to try. I picked up some ECC40 tubes to try in my (non-Decware) 300B amp. They are an early attempt to miniaturize (i.e. make cheaper) the 6SN7 and they have a funky 8 pin English base. But you can get adapters for either a 6SN7 or 6DJ8/6922/ECC88. They were too warm and rich for the 300B amp, but I thought they would play well with the '25s and I wasn't disappointed. They sound like the 6CG7, but are more dynamic and with more bass. The sound stage is still huge left/right and up/down but has kinda collapsed front to back (which was never great in my room) so that is a bit of a downside. I'm not sure how these are going to play for the long run, but right now the sound is amazing.

Re: break in. For the last few days the sound has been very consistent on my '25s and (knock on wood) I feel like I'm through the weirdness. I'm not a patient person so I like to run new gear overnight to get it broken in faster. And when I do that with amps I run them pretty hard, both by playing them louder than I would ever listen (I play them into a dummy load and set the volume right below clipping) and also going with more aggressive material. IMO what new caps really need are transients, and harmonic complexity. I play a lot of big, modern orchestral music and I have a "burn in" track from an old Stereophile test CD that is a bunch of people pounding on pots, pans, drums and other noise makers plus electronically generated low and high frequencies that I run for a couple hours each night. I also have some Tibetan singing bowls albums that I would listen to when I needed to chill out after a bad day at work, but after Steve said they were good for breakin I mix them in too. To me they sound like tuning forks (pure tones) rather than something harmonically complex, but whatever. So I play the amps for 10 or so hours over night then turn them off for 3 or 4 hours in morning to cool off. This worked really well for my UFOs and it seems like I worked equally well for the '25s, but JMO/FWIW/YMMV and all that.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 11/22/23 at 16:28:59

James, thx for sharing the pic. Love Love Love the elegance of the 25th (and you have two of these puppies!).

As far as isolation is concerned, it has been my observation, that regardless of price point, it helps.  On my SVS subs, I am using 8 solid black colored packing squares that I got from the butcher block rack I got earlier…so basically free….but as soon as I experimented with putting them under the subs, the rattling of my fixtures stopped. I was so impressed that I am also using another 8 squares for my Caintuck Audio baffles—both lifting them up, and negating any ground vibrations.  Been very happy with this.

Interesting you noted the burn-in regimen.  After using an internet radio station for the first 40 hours, mixing it up, I gravitated towards the Tibetan Bowls and have been using them a lot.  I also found a full day break-in playlist and intend to crank things up for the next day and a half before I visit the in-laws for a couple of days.  I haven’t n’t left the amp on overnight, instead opting for playing increasingly long during the day and turning it off before I hit the sack. Rinse and repeat.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #60 - 11/28/23 at 00:26:53

What I learned over my Thanksgiving Vacation:

• The UFO25s have amazing powers of resolution.

• The 53KU Rectifiers may not be right for the '25s after all.

• If the 7308 tubes don't sound good something else is wrong with my system.

• Even though the front VR tubes and bias switch have big impacts on the soundstage, you still need to move the speakers to get it right.

So, the long story short is I was a little frustrated that the 7308s didn't sound better than meh in the new amps. Maybe it isn't healthy to have an emotional attachment to vacuum tubes, but 7308s and I have been together for a long time, and they've sounded great wherever I used them. So I went through a ton of tubes, both in the '25s and my (non-Decware) preamp and ended up very close to where I started the whole journey:

Mullard GZ33 rectifiers.
Mullard EL822 power tubes, with adapters.
Amperex 7308 input tubes
Raytheon 0B3 in the back
Hytron JAN 0C3 in front.

The story has a happy ending because for the last couple days I've been listening to the biggest, most detailed, most dynamic, most intoxicatingly liquid sound I've ever heard. I need to get the preamp and the speaker placement just right for everything to finally lock in. Now all the other tubes are back in the caddy (for now) and I've stopped worrying about tweaking stuff. I'm just listening and it is a great place to be.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #61 - 11/28/23 at 01:14:39

Hi CA,

Congrats on getting the system fine-tuned.  I am having trouble following one tube in your setup, you have a Hytron JAN 0C3 placed where I have an OD3. I didn't know y0u could swap them, and I wonder how that affects the sound.

Enjoy the music, and it sounds like you are Smiley

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #62 - 11/28/23 at 01:17:44

CAJames wrote on 11/28/23 at 00:26:53:
Now all the other tubes are back in the caddy (for now) and I've stopped worrying about tweaking stuff. I'm just listening and it is a great place to be.

It's always great when the first dance ends and you can sit and talk. I've been in and out of that stage lately. These amps have so many potential worlds of sound within them.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #63 - 11/28/23 at 03:34:16

Quote:
Posted by: Tony      Posted on: Today at 17:14:39

...you have a Hytron JAN 0C3 placed where I have an OD3. I didn't know y0u could swap them, and I wonder how that affects the sound...

Any VR tube from 0A3 to 0D3 is fair game. In Steve's words as you go from D towards A "the sound goes from dreamy and euphoric to tightly focused and highly accurate." For me (and some others) A and B are little too much. But both C and D are very interesting.

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 17:17:44

...These amps have so many potential worlds of sound within them.

Indeed. I guess the thing I wasn't prepared for is how much small differences in the front end can be magnified in my system. Even more so than with the UFOs, the '25s are absolutely honest about what is going on in front of them. For better or for worse.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #64 - 11/28/23 at 03:38:33

CA,

I’m most interested in changes to your speaker placement.

What is your room size, and before the 25th’s speaker location, and after?

Toe in?

Love following the progress! Yours as well as Kamrans.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #65 - 11/28/23 at 04:12:04

Quote:
Posted by: Geno      Posted on: Today at 19:38:33

I’m most interested in changes to your speaker placement.

What is your room size, and before the 25th’s speaker location, and after?

Hey Geno,

My room is smallish, and funky. 13x13 but half open on one side and half open behind one speaker, I think you might have something similar going on in your room if I remember the picture correctly. There is a rug on the floor, a quilt on the wall behind me and generally it is asymmetrical enough to avoid problems with standing waves and the like.

The speakers are about 7' apart,  2 1/2' from the front wall and I sit about 7' from them. "Moving the speaker" generally just means changing the toe in angle, and just a few degrees goes a long way. So I toed them in probably 2 or 3 degrees and the sound between the speakers became much more solid and better defined.

The conventional wisdom for Omega speakers is to point them so the line from the drives crosses right behind your head. That is a good starting point, but the speakers need to be slightly asymmetrical to balance out the room (I find that works better than adjusting the volume from left to right). And then I tweak it from there.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #66 - 11/28/23 at 15:09:41

FWIW here is a picture of the room (and Nicholas) from another thread, when I still had my UFOs:

The open side is to my right, and to the left there is a fire place.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 11/29/23 at 06:21:08

The asymmetry in our rooms is similar as I also have an opening on the right hand side, which is the stairwell leading up to the first level. On the left-hand side, instead of a fireplace, I have a column that I built around the radon pipe and the nook where I keep my AVR gear in a rack.

Our speaker placement is freakishly the same – my speakers are also 7 feet apart and they are about 2.5 inches from the sidewall, and I also sit 7 feet away.

And lol- I was planning to play with toe-in soon!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #68 - 11/29/23 at 17:35:06

Quote:
Posted by: Kamran      Posted on: Yesterday at 22:21:08

The asymmetry in our rooms is similar...

Your room is also extensively treated, a situation in which I am unlikely to ever be.

IP Logged
mk60

Reply #69 - 11/30/23 at 21:23:23

Glad you're enjoying your UFO25s! Lots for me to consider here in tweaking my tube choices -- I'm running both of mine with stock tube complements.

Question: when you say that you're running yours as balanced monoblocks, you mean as shown on page 11 of the user manual? I'm currently running "unbalanced" (the setup shown on page 10).

What components are you using to run in balanced, and where can I get them? Did it require any custom modifications of the UFO25s themselves at build? Would love to try this out. I'll be getting a Sarah 300B in the next couple of months, and will be only keeping either the monoblocks or the 300B. Would like to make sure I'm getting as much as I can out of the monoblocks before I decide!

Also, what preamp are you using? I'm currently running straight from my denafrips pontus II dac into the UFO25s, and wondering how much I stand to gain from a pre-amp other than easier volume control.

Main System: Lumin U2 Mini->Denafrips Pontus II->ZTPRE->[2x SE84UFO25 in Differential Balanced Mono]->Klipsch La Scala AL5 + 2x REL 212/SX
Office System: Naim Uniti Atom->SE34I.5->Zu Dirty Weekend 6 Supreme
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #70 - 11/30/23 at 22:53:22

Quote:
Posted by: mk60      Posted on: Today at 13:23:23

Question: when you say that you're running yours as balanced monoblocks, you mean as shown on page 11 of the user manual?

Yes, that is exactly what I'm doing. You don't need any changes to the stock amps to run balanced, you just need the custom XLR -> 2x RCA jumper. I had mine made by a seller on ebay.

As for a preamp, I'm using a Woo Audio WA22. It is also my headphone amp. For me personally I learned a long time ago I need a tube preamp in my system. It adds just a little bit of secret sauce to the sound, in addition to the convenience features.

If you pursue this I'm very interested in your experience.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #71 - 11/30/23 at 23:46:39

I agree . . . if you are going to use the UFO amps a tubed preamp is almost necessary.

I was a bit slow on the uptake and with the SEWE300B a preamp is not only not needed (Steve incorporated a preamp gain into the amp) but. . .it really surprised me to discover my fantastic preamps were actually holding the amp back in tonal and dynamic ways. You're never too old to learn! If you decide to keep the SEWE300B you won't need or want a preamp.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #72 - 12/02/23 at 17:05:55

So I've been re-listening to some of the recordings that sounded "beautiful, but maybe too beautiful" with my non-Decware 300B amp. And the differences between it and the UFO25s are both subtle and shocking. The overall "sound" is pretty similar, the big difference is the 300B had a little juicier low treble to high bass while the '25s have more high end sparkle. But the '25s are shockingly more dynamic.

I guess the word that I would use is sudden. Both loud and soft seem to jump out of the speakers. I knew the 300B transients were smoothed out a little, but I didn't expect anything like this. Its been almost a year since I was listening to my UFOs (with the anniversary mods, also balanced monos) but I'm pretty sure I never heard anything like this with them either. It is resolution like this that was the reason I wanted to upgrade to the UFO25s, and good on me because this is sound I've been looking for. Imaging in my room is never going to be great (although the '25s image better than anything else I've had) so the spatial illusion of "musicians in the room" is less than convincing. But the sound of musicians in the room is remarkably lifelike. Better than lifelike in a lot of cases because the recording was made in better acoustics than a lot of venues where I've addended concerts, or played or practiced myself back in the day.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #73 - 12/02/23 at 18:14:11

Interesting. I can imagine that difference comparing my memory of the Cary 300B amps I heard years ago with the SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with all the Anniversary mods, which Steve said sounded just a smidge more "masculine" than the UFO25 amps.

In comparison to the Monoblocks the SEWE300B has such a similar tonal presentation (a bit less "sparkly" in the high end which really would be my preference) but just as dynamic and detail rich. I am relieved that the SEWE300B has all that I liked about the Monoblocks and fits the speakers a bit better (which I think was what was causing the tiny little bitty things I would want corrected with the Monoblock presentation). Makes me believe that the SEWE300B may be a bit better amp than the Had.

Isn't it great when you make a change and it works out for the better! (Redundant question!)

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #74 - 01/10/24 at 00:37:01

Has it really been over a month since I posted in this thread? I've long ago stopped counting the hours but I'm sure I'm well over 500 hours on the amps. Before Christmas I did one more big tube tryout day, because there were tubes on my "list" that I still hadn't heard. What I settled on was a bit of a surprise.

Mullard PCC88 input
Mullard EL822s power
RCA 5R4GY, WWII, DD getters rectifier
Hytron 0C3 in front
Raytheon 0B3s in back

Neither the PCC88 or esp. the 5R4 was anything special on my UFOs, but on the '25s they have that goldilocks balance of speed, transparency and tube yumminess. Maybe just a little less speed and transparency compared to the 53KU, but the extra yumminess more than makes up for it. What they really do it highlight the tubes I have in my preamp, which I also feel like I have well sorted. So for the last several weeks I've been just listening everything sounds great. No promises, but I'm not planning on making any changes for a while.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #75 - 01/11/24 at 08:42:42

It’s great when you can just settle in and enjoy, without futzing. I’ve been finding myself in a similar space and not doing much tweaking with the system. I did make two tube changes in the past month that have been working out. First is swapping a Hytron 0D3 out for a Raytheon 0D3W for the input VR. I find the potato masher type VR to have a slightly more fuller sound, which works for me. I also swapped out a type 80 in my CSP3 for a RCA 5R4GY late 50’s single D getter. I really like the big soundstage I get with this rectifier. I’ve looked for the double D getter type in the past but no luck. Keep the updates coming.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #76 - 01/11/24 at 16:20:11

Quote:
Posted by: LiquidBlue      Posted on: Today at 00:42:42

...swapping a Hytron 0D3 out for a Raytheon 0D3W for the input VR]

Yeah. The one thing I'm still temped to do is try more VR tubes, both front and back. But so far that just seems like "too much work."

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #77 - 01/11/24 at 20:59:12

Sometimes I think I need to do more "futzing."  A few months ago, I experimented with EL822 CV2382 MULLARD TUBES comparing them to some other tubes and concluding that I really like the EL822s best in my UFO25.  Then, after a while, I rotated the EL822s out, and stopped futzing. Last night I put the EL822s back in and was impressed with how good they sound.  Now I'll stop futzing. Smiley

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #78 - 01/11/24 at 22:12:56

Tony, that made me laugh!! Yeah, guilty... I just futzed. James got me curious again. I'd tried the 0B3's in the output VR position several months ago and determined it wasn't for me, but couldn't remember why. Sylvania 0B3's warming up in the amp as we speak.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #79 - 01/11/24 at 22:21:05

Quote:
Posted by: Tony      Posted on: Today at 12:59:12

...Now I'll stop futzing...

Pass the candle.