Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/08/24 at 09:48:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pre-Amp for UFO25 monoblocks (Read 827 times)
mk60

Pre-Amp for UFO25 monoblocks
12/01/23 at 22:06:14

After having my UFO25s for nearly a year, I'm finally ready to start looking for a pre-amp to bring things up a level.

I read a previous thread where someone was asking about pre-amp pairings, and it seemed like the major recommendations were

1. EMIA Remote Autoformer
2. Some form of Decware CSP or other decware pre-amp

The EMIA is intriguing, but quite expensive, and seems pretty difficult to find on the used market. And while I would love to have a Decware CSP or other pre, I'm unwilling to wait two years for a new one, and they are also very hard to come across used.

So, I would like to ask for further recommendations anyone might have. I don't have any hard requirements, other than at least 2 inputs (for DAC and phono pre).

XLR would be nice so I can run the UFO25s in balanced mono but is not a requirement (unless someone has strong feelings about the benefits of running balanced mono vs not?)

Remote volume control, similarly, would be nice but not a requirement.

Otherwise, very open to any pre-amp that will sound great in front of my UFO25s and is preferably not too difficult to obtain on the used market Smiley

Main System: Lumin U2 Mini->Denafrips Pontus II->ZTPRE->[2x SE84UFO25 in Differential Balanced Mono]->Klipsch La Scala AL5 + 2x REL 212/SX
Office System: Naim Uniti Atom->SE34I.5->Zu Dirty Weekend 6 Supreme
  IP Logged
mk60

Re: Pre-Amp for UFO25 monoblocks
Reply #1 - 12/01/23 at 23:01:43

Aside: as a little experiment, I dug out my PrimaLuna EVO 400 integrated tube amp that has been out of use since I got my UFO25s, and configured it to run as a pre-amp by hooking my UFO25s up to the stereo subwoofer outs of the PrimaLuna (which are the same thing as a preamp-outs in my understanding?) and hooking up 8 Ohm 100W resistors to the speaker outs on the PrimaLuna as a dummy load.

Things already sound better! This isn't a sustainable solution of course (and a pretty wasteful use of the PrimaLuna's 8 power tubes), but good proof of concept for adding a pre Smiley

Main System: Lumin U2 Mini->Denafrips Pontus II->ZTPRE->[2x SE84UFO25 in Differential Balanced Mono]->Klipsch La Scala AL5 + 2x REL 212/SX
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/02/23 at 01:51:43

mk60,

You might check out Icon Audio’s line of preamps. They use autoformer technology like the EMIA preamps, can be configured with balanced ins and outs (or in combination with rcas), and come with an Apple remote. They’re also cheaper than the EMIA, and can sometimes be found on the used market. Kamran has had good results with his, so maybe he’ll chime in here.

Randy

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/02/23 at 12:08:49

I'm a huge fan of autoformers as a volume control.

Decware is auctioning off a unique CSP3 right now.

https://www.decwareproducts.com/product-page/custom-hydrodipped-amplifier-07?utm...

This won't give you the balanced UFO option though. It is a great preamp!

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
mk60

Reply #4 - 12/14/23 at 21:25:22

Thanks for the input everyone! I picked up a Schiit Freya + with some nice NOS "5692" 6SN7s to tide me over until I figure out what I'm after. It actually sounds surprisingly good for the price, and noticeably better than the preamp section of my primaluna evo 400 integrated. I didn't expect that!

I ended up deciding that ZTPRE is what I'm going to try as a permanent solution. I thought it was going to take a while to track one down, but I just found one! Looking forward to seeing how much better it gets than the Freya Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print