Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 13:04:51 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2x25 = 50th Anniversary UFOs (Read 10123 times)
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

2x25 = 50th Anniversary UFOs
11/11/23 at 04:39:13

My pair of UFO25s arrived today and my plan was not to say anything until they'd had at least a few days of burnin. But that didn't work out .

They are configured as balanced mono blocs and after they had been on for 10 minutes, straight from the DAC, no preamp, no fancy fuses and with "B" tubes installed all I could think of was "I'm home." It is like when you get back from vacation, and even though you had a great time and maybe saw amazing things you're really glad you're finally home. I've been listening to a 300B amp exclusively since January, when I sold my UFOs, and I've said many times that it sounds beautiful, but maybe too beautiful for me. And now I'm sure I was right. I can certainly see why a lot of listeners are attracted to the extra tube yumminess of a 300B amp. I'll have (a lot) more to say about the comparison later, but for me the TL;DR is I needed a little more edge. Even at this early stage I can hear the extra detail and a little more bite in e.g. violin bowing or brass.

I'm running the amps overnight into a dummy load and assuming no problems (knock on wood) I'll put in my Synergistic Research Orange fuses and favorite Mullard GZ33 rectifiers tomorrow and do some more listening.  FTR/FWIW I bought the amps without tubes (because I have enough for this lifetime and most of the next already) and started with Sylvania 5931 aka 5U4WG rectifiers, Siemens EL83 power tubes with adapters, Mullard PCC88 input tubes, GE OA3s in back and RCA 0C3s in front. I've collected a whole mess of VR tubes while I've been waiting for the amps and I guess I'm going to have to try all of them...

P.S. The amps are physically beautiful. I felt like the basic UFOs had an understated dignity about their design, but the '25s with the Padauk base and the meters and all are truly a piece of high end audio art.

P.P.S I don't necessarily recommend leaving your amps on overnight but I've done it many times over the years and never had a problem (knock on wood).

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: 2x25 = 50th Anniversary UFOs
Reply #1 - 11/11/23 at 09:36:17

I am not surprised and am very happy that the amps met your immediate approval and expectations. And yes. . . these padauk bases are beautiful! My SEWE300B surprised and floored me with the beautiful base!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/11/23 at 13:56:16

Thats awesome James, makes me drool thinking of your mono’s! I also love the look of the meters etc of my 2.1, enjoy your break in..
Randall

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 11/11/23 at 17:37:15

So glad to hear this James!

Congrats, and please post lots about this going forward.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #4 - 11/11/23 at 20:46:10

James, I missed your announcement until just now, Congratulations!

I look forward to hearing more as you have more time with the new guys, but I'm really happy for you.

Enjoy!
Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/12/23 at 12:49:36

CAJames, So happy for you! the "I'm home" feeling is special.

More detail doesn't mean that it isn't sexy and romantic. The UFO amps nail this like no other amp I've ever heard.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/12/23 at 14:47:13

Congratulations on your new amps CA James. May they bring you much musical enjoyment.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/12/23 at 18:57:54

I'm glad you found yourself home. It is a great place to be.

I feel at home with mine as it never fails to bring me joy.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 11/12/23 at 19:47:45

Firstly let me say thank you for all the well wishes. It is getting increasingly hard for me to find the levels of camaraderie and mutual respect elsewhere that are so abundant here.

OK, back to audio. I'm closing in on 30 hours, and feel like I'm through the worst of the breakin. After last nights run the bass has tightened up, the sound stage is bigger with better definition and the sound is both a little more transparent and liquid. I just got done listening to Gemini by Alan Parsons (get it?) and it was amazing. Huge 3D soundscape, razor sharp imaging and just the right amount of tube loveliness. I'm temped to say the best sound I've heard in my house but will hold off for a little while.

When I got my 300B amp I was surprised (and pleased) at how much it sounded like my UFOs. I've spent most of the last year working through my collection of 6SN7 equivalents trying to tweak the 300B sound to where I want it. And just a couple of weeks ago I achieved the best combination yet of 300B yumminess and UFO speed and transparency. But something still wasn't quite right.

Quote:
Posted by: GroovySauce      Posted on: Today at 04:49:36

...More detail doesn't mean that it isn't sexy and romantic. The UFO amps nail this like no other amp I've ever heard.

Exactly. I take some pride in my ability to express myself in writing but I'm struggling to find the words to explain what it is about the UFO25s that I like better than the 300B amp. I've said before the UFOs are the perfect balance of truth and beauty. The 300B trades some of the truth for a little more beauty and I want the truth back. And I feel like I have it now. A couple of posters have made photographic analogies to the sound so here's mine:

To me it isn't about the sharpness of image. The 300B was tack sharp, as are the '25s. It is like the 300B "image" was processed with just a little too much saturation and contrast. Nothing offensive, and at first look it can be striking. But on closer inspection something just doesn't seem right. The image looks good, but maybe too good. It isn't that anything is missing necessarily, if anything there too much for my brain to be fully engaged in the experience.

A few technical notes:

I got two amps because I want to run balanced all the way to the speakers, not because of the extra watts. I was pretty sure I had never clipped my UFOs and have confirmed that I can play the 25s way louder than I would ever want to listen without the meters moving or the VR tubes flinching.

My front end is essentially unchanged from a year ago. I'm using one of my favorite "UFO" tube complements in my preamp and the only other changes are updated firmware on my Denafrips DAC and a nicer cables running from my laptop and CD transport to the DAC. All of which were nice upgrades, but nothing game changing.

I confirmed (yet again) that for me, a tube preamp is an absolute necessity. It adds just a little bit of secret sauce to the sound that I've got to have. Perhaps it does for me what a 300B amp does for others.

I put in my favorite GZ33 rectifiers and new SR Orange fuses yesterday. I forget the fuses were brand new so certainly running them in has improved the sound as well, although I noticed a change for the better right out of the box. I haven't done any more tube rolling although I have a long list of tubes to try, starting with O[A|B]3 VR tubes in front and my favorite EL822 power tubes. I may get started on that project later today.

I'm not going to lie, it felt pretty good to update my sig to take the "on order" out of the UFO25 line.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/12/23 at 20:15:40

Lordy Gods, pal, I just saw this.

I think congratulations feel a bit late and weak.

Thank you for the initial impressions! I am sitting in wait for more.

Yours are balanced from your DAC to the end, if I am seeing this correctly. Right?

Makes my mouth water up.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #10 - 11/13/23 at 20:25:26

More progress, both with the amp (at 40+ hours) and (hopefully) my ability to describe what I'm hearing.

Yesterday I tried 0 A, B and C 3 VR tubes in front, and clearly heard what others have been talking about. For me, the with Mullard PCC88 the A and B were clearly too "bold." Too forward and tightly focused. C seems just right, although for completeness I need to try a D at some point. Am currently running Hytron 0C3s, they sound pretty similar to the RCAs they replaced. Swapped out the GE 0A3s in back with RCA JANs and liked the difference with the EL822 power tubes. Also tried some early 60's 6N5Ps which sounded a little more "300Bish" a little warmer and slightly rolled off on the top and bottom. Not at all unpleasant and not sure if I like them better than the Mullards or not. I'm going to leave them in for a while and then try my Amperex 7308s.

I think I'm getting a handle on the '25 sound vs. the 300B sound. They are more similar than not, much more like each other than what I remember the AR or CJ amps sounded like back in the day. But, I think the 25s are both more dynamic and more transparent. And this gives the sound what I'll call a purity that the 300B couldn't match. I think the 300B rounded off the highs (and the transients) a little and added a warmth and "glow" that sounded gorgeous, but not like any real instruments that I've ever heard. It was also missing the final measure of detail and space that, for me, is the calling card of the UFO family. I don't want to imply the 300B was slow or veiled in any obvious way. While its been years, I feel like it was every bit as fast and transparent as the Pass Alephs I listened to for 20+ years and thought were the last word.  The 25s are just that much faster and more transparent. My UFOs showed me what was possible and the 25's have taken it to another level.

A few more technical notes. With any and every tube set I've tried the amps are dead quiet. Like heat death of the universe quiet. The (AC heated) 300B had a bit of hum I couldn't adjust away and that always was a bit of annoyance.

And yes DD, balanced all the way through. I have essentially a 4 channel system from DAC thru preamp thru the UFO25s.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #11 - 11/13/23 at 22:25:34

I'm going to leave them in for a while and then try my Amperex 7308s.

Hi James,

In my UFO25, the Amperex 7308, green label has been my favorite input tube. If you have a couple of these to try, I'll be curious to her your opinion.

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 11/14/23 at 00:08:16

Wow. Just WOW.

Instead of messing with input tubes I decided to try out the "fancy" rectifiers that I had acquired during the wait but had almost forgotten about. A pair of Cossor "big bottle" 53KUs. I got one for my headphone amp, really liked it and thought it might sound good in the '25s. And I was right. This is transformative. I thought things were sounding good earlier but now I'm kinda in shock. The soundstage is both bigger and more lifelike. The sound is both more liquid and more detailed. Dynamics are fast and perfectly natural. I started doing the audiophile thing of listening to recordings for like 60 seconds and moving on but I couldn't help myself. Mahler symphonies, The Miles Davis Quintet, Led Zeppelin, Rebeca Pidgeon, the Julliard String Quartet you name it, they were there in the room with me. They sound better than real life, not in a warm, beautiful way like I accused my 300B amp of sounding on occasion. But like you have the perfect seat in a perfect hall for listening.

Thanks to my Scottish Heritage I had to work pretty hard to find a couple of these tubes in the 200 dollar range, which is what I was willing to spend. So tube-wise I've got:

Cossor 53KU rectifiers
Mullard EL822 power tubes with adapters
early 60s 6N5P input tubes
Raytheon 0B3s in back
Hytron 0C3s in front.

I hesitate to mess with anything but I'll try the 7308s next. Mine are white label SQ. Back in the (very) early days of the internet a guy sold me 10 lightly used for 20 bucks. Those were the days...

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #13 - 11/14/23 at 00:22:50

You just happen to have a couple Cossor 53KU rectifiers in inventory to stick in there!?  James, someday I have to do a field trip across the Bay to see and hear what you have put together. Smiley

Enjoy the sounds!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #14 - 11/14/23 at 04:05:12

Hey Tony. I'm just a few hours down the 101 (yes, the 101) so if you're up for the drive I'd love to show off my system. I'll even buy you lunch .

As for the 7308s, it didn't go well. They sucked all the air out of the room. The whole sound stage basically collapsed. What kind of VR tube do you like with yours? I was thinking I could improve the situation by going from a 0C3 to a D, but  decided to go with the sure thing instead and put the 6N5Ps back in. I have a whole mess of other input tubes to try, and a set of cryo'd EL822s. I've got a bunch of other rectifiers too, but I can't imagine any of them sounding as good as the Cossors, none of them were as good as the GZ33 in my UFOs.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #15 - 11/14/23 at 09:09:26

Hi James. Congratulations on getting your pair of UFO25’s! Glad to hear they’re already off to a great start! Mine had a bit of ups and downs in the first 100 hours, with it becoming more consistent after about 200 hours. I’ve had mine for just under 5 months now (maybe close to 1000 hrs) and am absolutely loving what I’m getting from this amp!

I didn’t roll tubes for the first 100 hours, but have acquired quite a few rectifiers, input and VR tubes to play around with.  After a bit of tube rolling, I’ve found a set that I’m very happy with. I’ve not rolled tubes in the UFO25 for about 3 or 4 weeks, so guess I can say I’m pretty content at the moment. I agree the 0A3 and 0B3 input VR tubes were a little too much for me. I have a few 0D3’s. GE, Amperex and RCA, several different brands of 0C3’s, but coincidentally my favorite input VR of all is a mid 40’s Hytron JAN 0C3 with anchor insignia. With it, I really like the Phillips PCC88 from Holland, but my favorite is a U.S. Amperex white label 6922PQ. The Amperex has a beautiful warmth and density to the midrange that I really like, while retaining the detail and air on top. I’ve also had an Amperex US military white label 7308 in there that was just as good, but is now in the CSP3. I have Sylvania 0A3’s for the output VR’s, with Decware 6P15P-eb power tubes and a Mazda GZ32 with DD getters that I really like. I’m wondering if maybe your 7308 was a little worn out? Are they Holland or from the NY plant?

I’m now playing around with some different options in my CSP3. I have the Mullard GZ33 that I’ve been swapping with an RCA type 80 rectifier. I’m going between a pair of the Decware 6N1P’s and Cryotone ECC88’s and pretty much keep my US Amperex 7308 in the input spot.

Anyway, that’s what’s been working for me for the time being. Looking forward to hearing more as your amp seasons and you find a set of tubes that work best for you.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 11/14/23 at 11:13:13

My UFO25 is number 3, that gives you some idea of how long I've had it and I'll soon order another pair.  I've tried various tube combinations including different CryoTone tube combinations, and, as you are aware I'm Mr. Freeze.

So here's a hint... the best results come from a full CryoTone tube complement BUT, if your going to try one, one that by it self made a significant difference even within the entire CryoTone complement...

try the CryoTone 12AU7-WCL with a good adapter for the input stage.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #17 - 11/14/23 at 16:01:01

Thanks for the input guys.

My 7308s are USA, they test very good and sounded really good in my UFOs. So good in fact I though I would save them for my '25s. I was thinking my UFOs (with copper beeswax caps) had pretty much settled down after 50-60 hours, but the new amps have different caps and it makes sense they take longer to break in. In fact I felt like the sound was getting funky again as I was listening last night so I'm taking the Cossors out for now and will put them back in after I get more hours on the amps. I liked the PCC88s from Holland in my UFOs, also PCC189s from Holland and Telefunken so I'll mix those in sooner rather than later to see what happens. And no way have I given up the 7308s. Then there are my Tesla E88CCs and 6CC42s and various 6CG7s and so on and so on...

As for Cryotone, I'm starting to warm up to the idea (pun noted but not intended). My objection to them is the same as for e.g. high end Chinese tubes: I don't doubt they sound good, they are still current production tubes and I'm concerned about how long they last vs the cost. As more people get more hours on them those fears my subside. Certainly if I were to try them the 12AU7 would be my first purchase. I've developed a pretty strong allergy to current production over the years but that is very much JMO YMMV and all that.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #18 - 11/14/23 at 19:25:03

Honestly, for the first several weeks there were days or hours when it seemed the sound changed to where soundstage flattened, top end became veiled, lacked detail, etc. Some of my favorite tubes, such as the 7308’s didn’t sound great, so I tried changing things but not being fully satisfied. There were moments I wondered if I made the right decision. I had agonized before the purchase if I should get the Sarah instead and on those days I believed I’d maybe chosen wrong. I took Joman’s advice he gave me months before to let the amp burn in for a while before rolling tubes any further, to get a more true sense of what they bring. So I waited it out and for me that worked well. Now most all tubes I have sound great, just bring a little something different. I no longer have any thought that I didn’t make the right decision. Curious? Yes, but I’m so enamored with what I’m getting with my Zen anniversary amp that I find myself perfectly content with this whole preamp/amp stage of my system. I bet if you liked the Amperex with the prior Zen amps, you’ll like them here as well, once the amp settles.

Joman, I did purchase a full compliment of Cryotones (except VR’s) for both amp and preamp. I wasn’t fully happy with the results compared to some of my favorite NOS. I found the 5AR4’s to be slightly too thick for me, in my system. The input tubes sound good to me, so I’ve continued using them on occasion, while the others were put away for a while. I’m not saying they sounded bad, but were just not my preference in my own system. I haven’t put more than 30 hours on them. Do they change much after burning in further? Perhaps they just haven’t opened up fully? I haven’t given up on them just yet so I’ll give them more of a chance. I’ve just been really happy with the combo I have in right now, so haven’t had urge to swap anything.

By the way, I’m just a little farther down, off the 405, so maybe we plan a West Coast Decfest Road Tour?  ;D Grin Grin

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 11/14/23 at 22:41:25

Quote:
I found the 5AR4’s to be slightly too thick for me, in my system.

I think that the key words are "in my system".  I do not doubt that's what you are hearing.  First let me say that the 5AR4 types are not going to be to everyone's liking.  Secondly, I once went on a 5AR4 journey and found that certain Mullards and the odd Amperex were indeed thick sounding and I couldn't stand them in my system.  Contrasting those were the Amperex/Miniwatt GZ34 Metal base and the Mullard Fat base, Smooth plate F1.  Those were anything but thick.  The GZ34 Metal base has been described as being "minty cool" and I agree.  I believe that the CryoTone 5AR4-WC V1 falls somewhere in between those two.  I just received the V2 but will not be able to comment for a couple of months.

I don't want to derail this thread so I'll try to limit my comments and reserve them for a later date.  However, what you may be hearing may be coming from a tube set, cables, or components up stream.  I had to change the front/input VR Tube and then, after a source and speaker change I no longer needed the ZRock2.  In fact a certain thickening of the sound was traced back to it after those changes... I sold it.  (I still hold the ZR2 in high regard and I definitely needed it prior to the changes.)

What I will add is that the UFO25 is an INCREDIBLY transparent amp.  It will let you hear every component up stream as well as the tubes.

I'd say you need to give tubes in general 50 hours to know what they will sound like and then you have to be open to some sleuthing of your system.

CA... I have the same "allergy" to new production tubes... Benadryl??????

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #20 - 11/14/23 at 23:05:09

... Benadryl??????

Lagavulin...

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 11/15/23 at 00:14:57

NOOOOOOO.... Ardbeg Corrywreckan! (at least you appear to be an Islay fan, we do have something in common 😁)

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #22 - 11/15/23 at 00:26:22

Thanks Joman. I certainly don’t want to derail or hijack James thread either. Yes, very important to emphasize that my comment was in regards to MY system, and also in MY room with MY preferences. It was not to say the Cryotones were not good sounding tubes. Just that I found a combo of NOS tubes that really work for me. It could have been I didn’t give enough time for the Wathen tubes to settle fully, my amp was still seasoning, or that it wasn’t a “complete” set as the VR tubes weren't cryo’ed. Also, my system may have a bit of room for improvement and my experience may not be as vast as others… I’m still learning a lot about what works and what doesn’t. I intend to get them back out in rotation, as I’m getting more familiar with my systems interplay.

Also, I wanted to express that my experience with burn in was not for James’s benefit or others very familiar with the Decware sound, but for those like me who are still exploring all of this and may be eager to find better sound with their new gear and blaming tube choices on issues with early burn in. There are people who discount burn in, but my experiences were very clear to me. I appreciate your advice on that, Joman.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 11/15/23 at 00:51:28

Quote:
It was not to say the Cryotones were not good sounding tubes.

Never took it that way.  I feel your comments were good because they can serve as a basis for all of us to learn and benefit from.

AND....

Quote:
like me who are still exploring all of this and may be eager to find better sound with their new gear and blaming tube choices on issues with early burn in.

Took me a lot more time and more $$$$ to learn that than it has taken you...👍

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #24 - 11/15/23 at 03:05:23

Editors note re: hijack, off topic etc. This is a thread about UFO25s. Any experience, opinion or random thought you have regarding tubes, break in, or whatever that might be relevant to a UFO25 is absolutely on topic and I'm very interested in hearing a discussion about it. The wealth of experience and opinion is exactly what makes this forum so great.

What is clearly off topic is Single Malt Antihistamine.  But I'm a huge fan and since JOMAN has shown (yet again) that he is a gentleman of refined and elevated taste I have to say that yes, The Ardbeg is some of the best I've ever tasted. I've recently acquired a bottle of Talisker 15 Year Old Special Release that really hits the sweet spot (or peat spot) for me.

Now, back to my amps.

Tried the TFK ECC189s today, which lead me to swap out the 0C3 in front for Hytron JAN (with the anchor) 0D3s. They sound pretty nice, although not exactly what I'm looking for. I like that the bias switch sort of splits the difference between the VR tubes. In other words the 0C3 with low bias is a small step in "focus" from the OD3 with high bias. Then 0D3 with low bias is another step to a more airy presentation. Of course you need to adjust the volume, which I find to be about 2 clicks on the stepped attenuators to give the different settings a fair listen.

What is really interesting is even though I've only had the amps for a few days, and the sound is anything but dialed in I find that I'm listening to a lot more "big" music, like orchestras and big bands than I was with the 300B amp. Big music had always been the majority of my listening, but I think with the 300B amp I was missing some of the detail and dynamics that make orchestral music so involving for me. At the same time it would make individual instruments sound so beautiful that I gravitated to more chamber music, small group and piano solo. The '25s bring back the engrossing orchestral soundscape that I had before with my UFOs, and then some. This is more of the "I'm home" that I referred to in my OP.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 11/15/23 at 11:28:43

OK, so back on topic... this may be of help...

Quote:
I like that the bias switch sort of splits the difference between the VR tubes.

Not much is said about the VR tubes and the bias switch, and these can make a huge difference.  Even between different brands of the same type of VR tube there can be a significant difference.  I ended up with a Raytheon OC3W and I think it was on the low bias setting.  So when rolling flip the switch and listen for a time to see which is the best setting for you.  Occasionally you may try flipping the impedance switches as well.

Next...
Quote:
I think with the 300B amp I was missing some of the detail and dynamics that make orchestral music so involving for me. At the same time it would make individual instruments sound so beautiful that I gravitated to more chamber music,

I believe that in time, once your UFO25's have burned in and you eventually dial in everything, you'll find that you'll have the best of both worlds.  I recently discovered this.  I'm not saying that the UFO25 will sound like your 300B amp.  The beauty will be from a different perspective.  The UFO25's transparency will let the beauty of the instrument itself pass through provided that all the other components are able to do the same.  In your case I think you're in for a treat.  Think of it this way... It's like tasting a nice Single Malt neat vs a mixed beverage.  Nothing between your taste buds and the SM. With the UFO25's your listening to your source and all the other components... neat!

Recently this was really emphasized for me.  I listened to my source with headphones and without the UFO25 in the chain. Only then could I clearly hear that the OPPO 103D was a limiting factor with CD's.  Very good with Blu Ray but not as good with CD's.  I suspected this for some time.  So now I have to decide whether CD's will be enough of a factor for me to buy a dedicated CD transport 🤦‍♂️.  It wasn't the tube set in the UFO25, it was one of the source components.

Point being that especially with a UFO25 or any very transparent set up one has to focus and then step back to be able to "hear" the contribution that each component is making in the "big picture".

Enjoy!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 11/15/23 at 13:18:01

I'm familiar how the 0_3 tubes change the sound in the input position. How do they change the sound in the power tube position? I'm guessing it's a subtle variation of what it does in the input position?

The real question is. How many years does listening to two UFO25TH add to a wee dram? Does a 15 year become a 20 year or 25 year??? These are the questions we need to know.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 11/15/23 at 14:04:45

Groovy, anything but OA3's for the power position are not really the best option as OD3 and OC3 can starve the UFO25 amp of power.  But you can try different makes of OA3's and the differences in the results between makes are not all that subtle.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 11/15/23 at 14:42:55

If power isn't a consideration how does the sound change? I found all 0A3 was a bit too rich and forceful. 0B3 in the front vs 0B3 in the back, what is the difference going to be?

He took it back so I'm not in a place to experiment. The sound has been haunting me—in a good way—ever since I spent a few days with it in my system.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 11/15/23 at 15:27:11

Groovy, here's a description of the differences in sound from the various VR tubes.  Note: this is referenced to the input tube not the power tubes.  It would also apply to the power position but with the following voltage drops at the power position from stock:
OD3 -75V
OC3 -30V

In the top right are a set of 3 voltage regulator tubes.  One is an OA3, one is an OC3 and short one is an OD3.  These set/regulate the high voltage for the input tube.  Each one creates a different sound from the input tube.  Between these three regulators and the two input tubes you have 6 possible sounds.  For example, the OA3 has the strongest and tightest presentation with either input tube while the OD3 has a seductive dreamier effect on the input tubes.  The OC3 is right in the middle.

The 6 possible sounds from the input stage is doubled by the input tube bias switch.  The switch adds gain and punch in one position and a more balanced laid back presentation in the other.

When I was rolling I would forget to flip the bias switch and that usually ended up in a much longer and more expensive rolling period.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #30 - 11/15/23 at 15:44:17

As for the 7308s, it didn't go well. They sucked all the air out of the room. The whole sound stage basically collapsed. What kind of VR tube do you like with yours?

Bummer.  I have read there is some debate, perhaps not much, but some, between the Amperex 7308 Green Label and White Lable.  I have both and prefer the Green.  I also followed Joman's advice and tried the Cryo 12AU7 in this location with excellent results. Still, every time I have experimented, I found in my system that the Green Label 7308 won me over.

The voltage regulator I have is Raytheon JAN OD3A and two Cryo OB3 in the back.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #31 - 11/15/23 at 16:05:07

Quote:
Posted by: JOMAN      Posted on: Today at 03:28:43

...once your UFO25's have burned in and you eventually dial in everything, you'll find that you'll have the best of both worlds....

Absolutely. What I say is the UFOs are the perfect blend of truth and beauty, the 300B trades some truth for more beauty, and I want the truth back. I don't read Stereophile anymore, but back when I did there was some discussion about components or systems being good for a specific kind of music and less good for others. For me, my 300B amp was like that. It just sounded better with more intimate music. I think the UFOs (and Decware in general) are better all around, which I why I bought them.

Quote:
...When I was rolling I would forget to flip the bias switch and that usually ended up in a much longer and more expensive rolling period....

Indeed. I got in the habit of flipping the bias switch on the UFOs early on and it has served me well. I've always wondered how many people try the low bias, hear less volume and give up on it without cranking the volume up to where is was previously.

Quote:
Posted by: GroovySauce      Posted on: Today at 05:18:01

I'm familiar how the 0_3 tubes change the sound in the input position. How do they change the sound in the power tube position? I'm guessing it's a subtle variation of what it does in the input position?

That's something I'm very interested in as well. So far I've only tried As and Bs in back and I don't know that I've heard an overall trend, I think it is more VR tube specific. ATM I like Raytheon 03Bs, I'm getting better overall tone and dynamics than I did with GE or RCA 0A3s but the differences were not big. But I'm also using EL822 power tubes with an adapter so YMMV, as always.

Quote:
The real question is. How many years does listening to two UFO25TH add to a wee dram?

I think 4 years, similar to the wait list.

My 25s are currently resting after another overnight burn in. I may try some 0C3s in back later today. Then we're going out of town so no listening until next week.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 11/15/23 at 19:25:26

James, it may be fair to note that when you talk about truth and beauty with the 300B. . . you are not talking about the Decware SEWE300B "Sarah" amp, correct? Because I find hard to distinguish between truth and beauty with my SEWE300B compared to the SE84UFO3 modded monoblocks I had for five years.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #33 - 11/15/23 at 21:46:09

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 11:25:26

James, it may be fair to note that when you talk about truth and beauty with the 300B. . . you are not talking about the Decware SEWE300B "Sarah" amp, correct?

Absolutely. FTR my 300B amp is similar to this one:

http://www.thebestamp.com/Single-Ended_Tube_Amps/SE-300B-BAL.php

that I bought used a little over a year ago. And while it did sound (remarkably) similar to my UFOs, it is definitely not a Decware amp. Also my music, my expectations of "truth" and "beauty" and all the other caveats.

On the listening front this morning I went back to 0C3s in front and Holland made PCC88s, which sounded very nice. I was thinking about changing the VR tubes in back, but decided I needed to try some Russian power tubes since I had only been listening to EL83s or EL822s.

I have a favorite set of 6P15P-ERs that were the best sounding 6P15P types in my UFOs. I would listen to them occasionally to check myself and my preference for "weird" power tubes like the EL83 or EL822 and I always liked the other tubes better. But today the Russian tubes sounded the best. The bass tightened up and the sound has a top to bottom liquidity that is really my idea of the "UFO" sound. Maybe it is just where I am in with the breakin, or different amps need different tubes, or whatever but it will be a bit of a mixed blessing if it turns out the Russian power tubes are the best in the '25s because I sold off a bunch of them last year.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #34 - 11/15/23 at 22:46:37

With my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with all the mods the 6P15P were much better than any other tube types I tried (and I tried them all with high hopes); it may be that the bypass mods make this the case. Also in my case it's the certified activation of the Hazen Grid--I have to have that. I still have about 25 pairs of that tube type. . . and now only one amp (Taboo Mk IV with Mods) that use them. Wink

I too always use the lower powered switch position--that's where the tone is on my systems.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 11/15/23 at 23:14:43

I have green and white labeled Amperex 7308 and depending on other tubes in the complements they both are great.

My real favorites though are an RCA branded pair of 7308s made in Holland. Man those are like Goldilock's porridge--just right.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #36 - 11/16/23 at 02:07:13

Well, that was easy. I guess I should have done it days ago. My (non-Decware) preamp is also my headphone amp and I was noticing just a tiny bit of veil when I was listening on the 'phones. So I made a tube change on the pre and Bam! The veil is lifted! The '25s are now sounding the way I imagined they would: big, fast, dynamic, liquid and gin clear from the low bass to the high treble. For the last 90 minutes or so I really have been listening to the best sound I've ever heard in my house. Now I really am home.

I guess it just goes to what we all talk about: with resolution like this everything matters. There is still some work to do: there is a little bit of congestion in the sound stage that probably means either 0D3s in front and/or some different input tubes. And then there is all the gratuitous tube rolling, just for fun. I should be pretty close to 100 hours on the amps so if I'm not through the new cap weirdness I think I'm pretty close. Regardless the timing is good because we leave tomorrow for some time with Mrs. CA's family and I can leave the amps off knowing they will sound great when I get home, and will sound even greater going forward.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 11/16/23 at 03:17:06

Quote:
liquid and gin clear

HMMMM🧐

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #38 - 11/16/23 at 14:14:54

Quote:
Posted by: JOMAN      Posted on: Yesterday at 19:17:06

Quote:
liquid and gin clear

HMMMM🧐

I personally find gin repellent, but "gin clear" is certainly a thing.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 11/16/23 at 15:45:01

Lon, Thanks for the clarification that it's not the Decware Sarah 300b that CAJames is talking about.

0A3 – 75 volts
0B3 – 90 volts
0C3 – 105 volts
0D3 – 150 volts

The 0B3 nicely splits the difference between the A and C. Next time I have the opportunity I'm going to try the 0B3(s) 3 0A3 was nice, however dropping the voltage a smidge might be just right for my tastes with my speakers.

Steve talks about eliminating the weakest links. The more weak links eliminated the more the weak links show up! It's a vicious cycle  ;D

In my experience 100 hours things are still wild on the burn in process. I really think it is past 300 hours when everything settles down and starts the slow and steady maturing process. It seems to be a combination of total full cycles—getting to stabilized temp both hot and cold—and total time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #40 - 11/16/23 at 16:00:48

I never used 0A3. . . it just hit with too much "force." 0B3 (I have one pair that is Arcturus, old . . . and so sweet) and 0D3 (many favorites including an RCA pair and a Raytheon pair) seemed to be the ticket for me depending on other tubes in the complement.

It's amazing what voltage regulation tubes do in these amps.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #41 - 11/16/23 at 17:22:20

FWIW the one thing about 0B3s is they are rated for less current than the other VR tubes, 25  vs 40 mAs. But that doesn’t seem to bother anything.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #42 - 11/16/23 at 17:42:07

Yes, and even though these B, C and D do theoretically lower the output power, I never really seem to have noticed that.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 11/16/23 at 21:33:35

First to keep on topic, congrats CA on the new amps. I'll be following along as mono blocks interest me as a possible move in the future. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Sorry to go slightly off topic here...and the butchering of the quote system!
GroovySauce wrote:
Quote:
0A3 – 75 volts
0B3 – 90 volts
0C3 – 105 volts
0D3 – 150 volts

Forgive my ignorance, but what does the voltage above mean? I don't have VR's on my UFO but do have one on my ZP3. I've been experiencing a high end glare lately that drove me nuts. It was definitely on the ZP3 and after rolling everything it finally went away when I went from RCA to Sylavania OA3's. Got me thinking I should try a B, C, and/or D sometime.

Lon wrote:
Quote:
Yes, and even though these B, C and D do theoretically lower the output power, I never really seem to have noticed that.

This is interesting to me as there are times I feel the overall output is higher than expected for me.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #44 - 11/17/23 at 03:57:32

So if you read Steve’s posts in the 25th anniversary amp thread he explains the VR tubes in detail. But briefly, the voltages posted are the voltage drops across the VR tubes. They are used instead of resistors to set the DC high voltage to the plates of the signal tubes. And they have the added advantage of removing noise from the power. So the greater the voltage drop the lower the operating point of the tubes and the less power they produce, in theory.

But note that “output level” i.e. gain isn’t the same is power. Gain is how much the voltage increases, power is the ability to source that voltage across a load without distortion.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 11/17/23 at 12:03:59

To me understanding how the VR tubes interact with the amp is part of the topic.

This video talks briefly about VR tubes. This may raise more questions than answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXG3VmUBF_o&t=1580s

At 10:40 talks about gas regulators or VR tubes.

At 26:50 tube vs SS voltage regulator.

From the Torii MKIV sales page.

Quote:
In this special amplifier the Voltage Regulation tubes are wired in series with the load. In that configuration they become a filtering device instead of a regulating device.

Does this mean in this configuration the VR tube becomes—besides a filter—a voltage dropping device, not voltage regulator?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #46 - 11/17/23 at 13:07:15

I think that is exactly right. VR tubes were invented to regulate voltage, but in Decware amps they are used to drop, and as a bonus, filter it. They replace resistors for this purpose.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #47 - 11/18/23 at 08:46:39

Feel I need to amend my comment from a few days ago. Yeah. Guess you can say I have egg on my face. I put in the full Cryotone bundle back in to my CSP3a and UFO25 and wow was I wrong. These don’t sound like the same tubes I tried before. It wasn’t a matter of more tube burn in or that the rectifiers were sounding too thick or rolled off. I’m guessing it was maybe that the amp was not fully seasoned at that time. I had tried the full set about 3 months ago and it just sounded a bit compressed, thick and rolled off. I tried swapping in a favorite NOS tube here and there, but not fully satisfied. So they went into the boxes and back in the cabinet. I spent the past few months rolling a bunch of NOS tubes and found a combo that I really liked and have had in for the past several weeks. Well, I swapped them all out for the Cryotone’s, (except for the VRs). And WOW! I may try swapping a tube in here and there to see if I definitely prefer the full set of Cryotones, but will keep the full set in for a bit to get familiar with what they’re giving me. I do have a little bit of hiss in one channel, so will try to isolate, but otherwise they sound really good.

I’m glad I gave them another chance.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 11/18/23 at 13:27:35

LiquidBlue, How many hours do you have on your amp now? If it's less than 500-1,000—not sure the exact number—then it will still be changing. Decware amps are so pure that every little thing shows up and it really does take a LONG time for them to stop the swings of burnin.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #49 - 11/18/23 at 14:42:22

I’m not arguing with anyone who says Decware amps take months to finish breakin, but for me at least, I think there is a human element too. Just like what food “sounds good” to you can change from day to day, I think something similar can happen with sound. Or after listening to certain tubes for a while something different sounds really good… for awhile. JMO YMMV and all that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print