Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 11:22:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Capital Audio Fest, 2023 (Read 2633 times)
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Capital Audio Fest, 2023
11/11/23 at 00:20:58

Starting the thread for this year‘s fest for anyone who gets to attend to share their collective thoughts in one place.

I plan on going there for one day tomorrow. Some of the things I look forward to include checking out Caladan speakers by Clayton, pure audio project trios with their new 10 inch coaxial drivers, all the various rooms including youTuber OCD Mikey (I recall he’s bringing a few SET tube amps).

Speaking of YouTubers, audiophiles junkie and Jay’s audio lab are already here today covering in case anyone is interested.

I thought the following video by audiophile junkie might be of interest to tech members:

https://youtu.be/sTuO4cuapiw?si=S3xvh-SRQnpuBDgx

Color me intrigued but I’m also surprised that audiophile junkie was not familiar with Lii Audio/Song drivers. These are not unknown drivers on YouTube. Thought that was weird for a person as knowledgeable as Jason and also into open baffles.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Re: Capital Audio Fest, 2023
Reply #1 - 11/11/23 at 01:22:04

This is OCD Mikey’s room as covered today by Audiophile Junkie. Looking forward to checking out his brand spanking new Jeff Rowland amp, Fischer & Fischer Slate speakers and Playback Design DAC. Seem to be well received today.

https://youtu.be/1QP8L2q-BAE?si=r2bWhHBuOoB4lIVF

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/12/23 at 16:03:22

I had a good time yesterday at the event.  Spent 5 hours and change visiting a few rooms and speaking to few manufacturers and vendors…and unashamedly, taking selfies with some of the YouTube stars including Jay’s Audiolab and Audiophile Junkie.  I also saw Cheap Audio Man for a brief second—as I was getting off an elevator, he was getting in and I was like why does this guy look familiar, and then it hit me! By that time, the door had closed and I wasn’t going to stalk him to see which level he was going to, lol.  Also saw Dr. Weaver and Michael Lavorgna talking to each other outside the hotel.

First, I’ll say that Caladan Speakers by Clayton Shaw sounded excellent.  I also had a fantastic discussion with Clayton outside his room for a good 20 min.  He’s overloaded with orders—if you were to order one today—you’re looking at a Feb delivery.  The woofers are from a Spanish manufacturer—all assembled on a fully robotic line with no little to no human interaction.  Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing, but Clayton is really happy with them and they do down to 25Hz.  

Sharing a picture and video below;

https://share.icloud.com/photos/08f9URE4bI1IkzmZJa44CIoGg

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/12/23 at 16:08:47

1927 Era WE Horn Driver on display in the lobby.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/12/23 at 16:19:43

OCD Mikey’s room with Fischer & Fischer Slate speakers and playback designs DAC ($23K!) and streamer.  I think the big ones were playing when I was there and at that moment in time and track, it sounded a tad boomy to me even with his tube traps.  Didn’t spend enough time in the room to form a better opinion.  

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/12/23 at 16:29:35

The VPI room with Audio Research monoblocks and Acora Acoustics speakers was really good.

Audiophile Junkie covered this room in this video.

https://youtu.be/cGSlQaYX3_w?si=mHhgx_OoJmwoe-zR

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/12/23 at 16:32:42

Von Schweikert Audio’s new VR-55 speaker paired with a Lampizator DAC was another standout.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/12/23 at 16:49:38

https://youtu.be/q6WpqnZ6VyI?si=t5igQxyUPp0Yig26

Saw Audiophile Junkie making his video in the Songer Audio Room.  First he was standing to the side and I was behind him and then when the sweet spot opened up, he sat down and was I right next to him.  Then I introduced myself outside the room, had a nice chat, took a selfie, and he took me to the Bacch room and introduced me to Edgar.

I had mentioned earlier in the forum that I met Edgar over a decade ago at an event in Princeton.  Well he recognized me too!  While he was off by a few years, he nailed the event and said that he rarely forgets a face.  The demo was very impressive and I kept looking at my right and left for hidden speakers! Edgar lives close by so I may go checkout his rig in the future.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/12/23 at 17:02:13

Had a good listen to the PAP Trio with their coaxial driver.  Really enjoyed the presentation.  Since Dominique Fils-Aimé’s song ‘Birds’ had been playing in the Caladan room (and most other rooms), I asked Ze’ev (the owner) to play it here too for comparison.  He more than obliged and played the same song on Vinyl and digital for an extra comparison between the two formats.  It was a superb presentation and the vinyl version won hands down.  We are all awed. And he wasn’t using mediocre digital gear either—a combo of Pass Labs amplification and Denfrips flagship Terminator DAC.  Really wanted to hear the Voxativ drivers, so Ze’ev asked me to visit their dedicated room to get an idea of German drivers’ sound signature.

Here’s a pic I took and a video that Audiophile Junkie made yesterday, with Ze’ev giving an excellent presentation.

https://youtu.be/3l3myAMaO68?si=c9xiPHsNAAeK9Ooy

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/12/23 at 17:12:21

Here’s the Voxativ room.  This is their AC 1.9 driver used in their rekindled Ampeggio speaker in a full range single driver configuration, that they are re-introducing after many years.  This speaker used to be $25-$30K and is now being sold for $12K!  Anyways, it was another standout presentation and I had a great chat with the designer of the driver, who was also in the room.  They also told me to give Ze’ev a hard time for not showcasing their AC 1.6 driver with his PAP speakers.  They also assured me the sound signature of the AC 1.9 and AC 1.6 was almost identical.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #10 - 11/12/23 at 17:35:24

Thanks for the updates Kamran. Way back in the day, when I still lived in LA my buddy and I went to one of the early audio shows, it may have been run by Stereophile but I don't remember the name. And I was just overwhelmed by all the people, and a lot of really mediocre sound from (at the time) really expensive gear. And I've never felt the need to actually attend another one of these events even though I'm (academically) interested in all the latest tech. Which is just a roundabout way of saying, for me at least, your write up is better than being there.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 11/12/23 at 18:58:32

Thank you for the write up Kamran.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 11/12/23 at 20:23:22

I went to a show once and everything was hunky dory, just listening to different things and enjoying myself.

Then all of a sudden I had a thought that freaked me out.

Since all of the rooms were in hotel, I started thinking what was the most perverted thing that had went on in those rooms.

I'm pretty sure I saw Shetland Pony hoof marks on the ceiling in one room.

Now you will never be able to get that image out of your head the next time you go to one of these shows!
You're welcome.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 11/12/23 at 20:24:57

Thx GS and CAJames.  I get it, these events can be a bit overwhelming with the crowds and all.  After spending 5 hrs, I was ready to go home.  That said, I find attending these shows akin to cleansing the palette with respect to the audio bubble I live in, discover what’s going on in the industry, and to seize the opportunity to have enlightening discussions with experts/designers/manufacturers to add to my body of audio knowledge.  I will have more to say about the sound at the show vs. sound at home in a different post.

LOL Donnie!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 11/12/23 at 20:35:21

Met Sean Casey from Zu Audio in his room.  Cool dude and very laid back vibe.  He just brought with him a bunch of records from different genre’s so couldn’t take specific requests.  The Definition 6 speakers were playing.  Didn’t stay long enough to form an opinion one way or another.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 11/12/23 at 20:36:59

One of the prettiest setups at the show.  Was only there long enough to grab this pic.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #16 - 11/12/23 at 21:15:49

Thanks for your efforts, Kamran.

Pretty awesome stuff!!!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 11/12/23 at 23:04:18

Kudos Kamran. I've attended CAF a couple times in the past, it can overwhelm the senses at times. Looks like you sought out a few rooms which is the best approach IMHO. I'm still amazed at so many rooms that sounded so lousy. Just doesn't seem like the best approach given the cost of many uber systems you see/hear at an audio show.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 11/13/23 at 00:52:28

Thanks Geno.

Thanks HK—Yes, my plan (unlike last year), was to visit specific rooms and keep my sanity in check.  You and CAJames have now both touched on mediocre sounding but uber priced gear at these shows. I don’t disagree, but will expand on my experience in a separate post.

IP Logged
Lazlo Hollyfeld
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 11/13/23 at 19:11:22

Agreed that CAF can be more than a bit overwhelming! And man, was there so much expensive stuff that just sounded shrill. My wife and I attended (her first show), and she quickly pointed out just how fatiguing the high end was in many of the rooms. I don't know if this was an artifact of the rooms or the gear or the music choices, but it did grind on us both a bit.

It was fun talking to a couple of the youtubers like Randy and Sean Casey from Zu was incredibly gracious with his time.  I'm the proud owner of a set of Zu Dirty Weekend 6 Supremes and just love them.  Knowing it's hard to make direct comparisons, I think the DW6 definitely outshines the DWX, especially on the low end (as to be expected given the cabinets), I prefer the DW6 over the Soul 6 as well. The 6 sounded a notch less "musical" to me (for whatever that means).  The Def 6 sounded more like my DW6 than the DWX did, oddly. I expected more from them given they cost 10x as much as my DW6.

Marantz 6300 w/ Denon DL110 > ZP3 > or Bluesond Node > SE84UFO2.1 > Zu DW6 Supremes & Rel T/5X w/ Pinetree Audio cables
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 11/14/23 at 20:34:25

TrackingAngle interviews Clayton Shaw:

https://youtu.be/pG-HN3hl7JI?si=Cb8CUrE9Smpce8pG

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 11/16/23 at 18:27:11

Oh, I didn’t realize Steve G was also there! Here is his show report – looks like he’s going to get the Caladans in for review which is exciting!

https://youtu.be/nOLLRXt8FIk?si=EqUXqjqhPqx3QfFo

I also realized (after watching Steve’s video) that I didn’t share the pictures of the Vivid Audio and Bayz Audio rooms. I’ll try to get to that later.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 12/08/23 at 00:40:14

Thanks for the rundown K.

I go to Axpona each year and it always surprises me how bad some of the rooms sound.  That said, in recent years, the number of rooms with sound treatments has increased.

I don't know how long the price will remain low on those Caladan spearkers but those peaked my interest.  I watched an youtube review (sorry forget who it was) and they were very high on them.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Nishant
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 01/12/24 at 20:16:58

Great write up.  I was there, lot of great setups and also a lot of duds!  Ran into Chris briefly.

Also ran into Cheapaudioman, we chatted for a minute but he was looking at his phone the whole time so I took the hint!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print