04/29/24 at 09:36:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Caladan Speakers (Read 7636 times)
x2turbo
Verified Member

Caladan Speakers
10/25/23 at 21:10:40

Curious if anyone else has seen the review of the new Caladan OB Speaker by New Record Day on YouTube?

I'd post a link, but don't have enough posts to do so.

I've been looking at finding a new pair of speakers while waiting for my ZMA. Currently using LII Audio Fast-10's in a DIY TL cabinet with my Taboo III and love them. So I've been thinking about building something with Platinum=10s, but this review really has peaked my interest.

IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Re: Caladan Speakers
Reply #1 - 10/25/23 at 21:29:35

The timing of these speakers announced is basically perfect. I have been in mad scientist mode for the past several days thinking about a DIY open baffle build.

I've already emailed Clayton about these. They seem pretty ideal for my purposes.

video is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRrgJ-_npls

Nottingham Ace Spacedeck TT w/Heavy Kit + AudioMods S6 + SoundSmith Paua mk II • Modwright PH9.0XT • Cambridge CXNv2 (ModWright) & CXC • Modwright LS99 • Decware TORII MK5 • PI Audio UberBUSS • TriodeWireLabs Power Cables • Clayton Shaw Caladans (Ordered)
  IP Logged
x2turbo
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/25/23 at 21:42:52

and hard to beat the price at @$2950

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/25/23 at 21:51:46

I just logged in to share the video (after watching it twice) but you beat me to it, lol. I was impressed by the quality of the audio from YT-it was atypical in being stop the presses fantastic. I’m evaluating where I go from Lii Audio FR drivers and was going to (and still going to) evaluate PAP Duets as an upgrade but this video gave me some pause-will need to evaluate this option more closely. The price is very compelling and perhaps the only thing that mildly concerns me is that the sensitivity is not as high as Lii or PAP at 93/94.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
x2turbo
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 10/25/23 at 22:13:26

I agree and in the same boat. Wouldn't work well with my Taboo III, but might be a great match with a forthcoming ZMA.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #5 - 10/26/23 at 15:56:14

I did not recognize his name, but I see that he was the Spatial dude.

The Caladans sound amazing!

The size seems to be just about right for most rooms. Are those 12" bass drivers?

The thing that i don't like about the Spatials that I've seen, is that they are soooo big. You need an above average size room to accomodate them.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
x2turbo
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/26/23 at 17:14:53

How do you like the PT-10\W-15 OB? That's the speaker I was planning on building until I saw this review of the Caladans.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #7 - 10/26/23 at 20:12:38

I like the combo very much. No real reason to be interested in another speaker setup, but the Caladan size, styling and sound(at least in the video) have me intrigued...

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/27/23 at 03:08:49

Just watched/listened to the Caladan review.  Here are a few quick thoughts.

Pros:  
The Caladans are OB speakers.  I absolutely love open baffles and will never again have box speakers, of any kind, in my main system.

$2950 seems like a reasonable price.

Rather small size for an OB speaker.

Cons:  
Low efficiency, relatively speaking.

High crossover point (again, relatively speaking), which is a huge concern.

If I had plans to spend $3,000 on a pair of speakers I’m not sure what I would do…….probably utilize Lii Audio products and build OB’s.

Good luck as you proceed!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/27/23 at 12:05:07

Quote:
High crossover point (again, relatively speaking), which is a huge concern.

Why is a high crossover point a concern?

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
x2turbo
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 10/27/23 at 14:59:12

I had to rewatch it to make sure, the xover point is 1K. I didn't think that's considered high

IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 10/27/23 at 15:02:00

I thought the 1k crossover was to the tweeter.. IE it's actually a pretty low crossover point to hand off to a tweeter.. when "typically" it's 2-3k handoff to a tweeter.

As I recall from watching the video

Nottingham Ace Spacedeck TT w/Heavy Kit + AudioMods S6 + SoundSmith Paua mk II • Modwright PH9.0XT • Cambridge CXNv2 (ModWright) & CXC • Modwright LS99 • Decware TORII MK5 • PI Audio UberBUSS • TriodeWireLabs Power Cables • Clayton Shaw Caladans (Ordered)
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 10/27/23 at 15:16:13

Yeah, the guy in the video talked about "lowering the crossover point as much as possible."

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 10/27/23 at 16:05:31

I haven’t watched the video.

I don’t get why the crossover point is something to be concerned about. I can see not wanting the crossover between ~100-600hz as that is the lions share of the vocal range.

My guess is all crossover points or single full range have trade offs.  

What’s the trade off of a xo at 1,000hz?

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/27/23 at 17:03:01

I suppose it’s more of a personal preference.  Over the past 10 to 12 years I’ve discovered that I don’t care for the sound of speakers that have crossover components working in the 150 to 3000 hertz range.  

More than 10 years ago I removed the very high end crossovers from my Azzolina Audio Gran Sferras in order to run the big Lowther horns full range.  With my current PAP Quintets, I stopped using the highly upgraded crossovers a few years ago, leaving the Voxativs to run full range.  With both speaker systems, the woofers were/are gently crossed over with a single inductor at around 100 hertz.

I even disliked the 10,000 hertz tweeter crossover on my Zu Audio Definitions, but opening those cabinets and messing with the crossovers on that complicated system was not at all practical.  The crossover from the woofers to the full range drivers was also horrible sounding, so they were sold after a couple of years.

Many people find crossovers anywhere in the audible frequency range to be distasteful.  The last thing I would ever do is attempt to speak on behalf of Mr. Deckert, but check out his speaker offerings—90% of the speakers he sells have no crossover at all.  

My perception is that reproduced music is far more emotional, personal, real, life-like , etcetera, when no crossover is present anywhere in the low to high midrange.  Crossovers in the midrange seem to be perfectly acceptable to many, but I find them problematic.  Just one man’s take on the issue.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
Zork
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 10/27/23 at 17:16:04

The microphone placement seems odd in that room.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 10/27/23 at 18:15:07

Thank you Doug, that clarified your statement for me.

Seems it's another one of those hifi things where certain people are more sensitive to certain aspects than others.

A speaker with a single full range driver with no crossover suffers from the doppler effect. Some people enjoy this, others are bothered by this and some don't even consider it.

As they say, there is no free lunch in audio.

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 10/28/23 at 16:41:33

Hey Groovy,

Yeah, though I really don’t play much dense music with lots of bass, when I do, and when the volume is cranked, that doppler effect, along with other likely distortions, can be heard.  However, the Voxativ 1.6, as you well know, is quite a remarkable driver, and it always seems to stand above the fray.  As you stated, speaker design, and the audio game in general, is certainly full of trade offs.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 10/30/23 at 19:08:17

FYI All

Clayton replied to my email inquiry with a PDF that has some details on the speakers. I hope no-one minds if I post a snippet of that PDF Newsletter

"Finish Options:
Caladan offers a choice between a 1.5" thick baffle crafted from solid American hardwoods like Walnut, Cherry,
and Maple, or a painted MDF version available in White and Black.

North America Pricing:
Caladan in MDF with painted surface: $2950 /pair
Caladan in Solid Hardwoods: $3295 /pair

Features:
- Extreme high-end crossover parts (Jupiter/Janzten/US Coils/WBT are all standard).
- IsoAcoustics Gaia footers are standard.

Purchase and Lead Time Information:
Following the overwhelming response after Ron’s New Record Day YouTube video, production is set to
commence immediately. Orders for November are now full, with new orders scheduled for December delivery,
prioritized by the date of order. "

IP Logged
x2turbo
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 10/30/23 at 19:15:03

Thanks Ron

I think most of us are not surprised with the rush in orders.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 11/02/23 at 13:09:37

Looks like Clayton will be at the Capital Audio Fest.  Anyone going?  Kamran?  I might just go to see if he has the Caladan's on demo.
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 11/02/23 at 13:48:21

I had also received the pdf spec sheet from Clayton, but unless I overlooked it, the sensitivity of the speakers was missing?  I wrote back to Clayton but haven’t heard back yet.

Bob, yes I do plan to attend CAF for a variety of reasons and if Clayton will also be there demoing Caladan, it makes the event even more compellingQ!

Let’s coordinate if you also end up attending. I’m only going to be there for one day (Saturday).

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #22 - 11/02/23 at 15:31:18

Good morning, guys,

I found this information regarding the Caladan speaker.

"According to the Clayton Shaw Acoustic Lab, the Caladan speaker has a sensitivity of 94dB/1W/1m. This means that it will produce a sound pressure level of 94dB when driven by 1 watt of power at a distance of 1 meter.

This is a relatively high sensitivity rating, which means that the Caladan speaker is capable of producing a loud sound level with relatively little power. This makes it a good choice for applications where high sound pressure levels are required, such as home theater systems and PA systems."

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 11/02/23 at 16:31:38

Would these work well with our 2 watt zens? Seems like it would be right on the cusp, but maybe being open backs they'll work?

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Reply #24 - 11/02/23 at 17:39:38

Check the chart about half way down the page

https://www.decwareproducts.com/ampbuyingguide

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 11/02/23 at 17:44:54

Thanks, I'm familiar with that page and see red = nice pairing. Was hoping for a little more feedback and descriptions from similar speakers. I guess time will tell as these seem to be a hot speaker right now.

I also noticed on the website they are now listed as 93db.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 11/02/23 at 20:02:18

Kamran,
If I would go, it would have to be friday or sunday.  I have a previous commitment on saturday.
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
DADOWNS
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 11/06/23 at 20:58:27

Did anyone here listen to these Caladan speakers at Capitol Audio Fest?

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 11/06/23 at 21:22:24

CAF starts this Friday and lasts till Sunday. I plan to be there Saturday.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 02/26/24 at 03:21:03

3 months later and I haven’t heard anything.  

Anyone?  The initial orders should have been out in Feb.  Wonder if Clayton ran in to production problems?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print