Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 23:42:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaker Choice for 300B? (Read 2134 times)
Egilmorephd

Speaker Choice for 300B?
10/19/23 at 01:16:51

Just like the topic states.  Does anyone have an opinion on what the best speakers would be to match the Sarah 300B?  About 600 on the list so have time for responding thanks everyone.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Re: Speaker Choice for 300B?
Reply #1 - 10/19/23 at 10:51:53

Others here can give their impressions of the amazing speakers offered by Decware, I've heard them but haven't lived with them. I am space-constrained currently and unable to pull speakers away from the front wall which limits the sound quality of open baffles more than other speaker types.

For my Sarah in a small room, I first chose the Tekton 2-10 Perfect SET speakers with Berrylium tweeter and wiring and cap upgrade, then upgraded to the 2-12 Perfect SET with the same upgrades when they became available. I could not be happier.

These speakers are specifically designed to be paired with SET amplifiers, addressing the sensitivity, bass weighting and damping problems that plague other speaker-type pairings.

The 2-12's have 100dB sensitivity and 8 Ohms, flat response 30hz to 30 KHz, ultra-lightweight drivers, and match the Sarah perfectly. Best yet, I am able to place them inches from the front wall if needed without too much of a decrease in soundstage and imaging.

Highly recommended: https://tektondesign.com/product/full-range-speakers/full-towers/2-12-perfect-se...

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 10/19/23 at 11:04:34

I think the SEWE300B would be a good match for many speakers. I have only used one pair: Decware HR-1. I really enjoy the combination. These are amazing speakers. I imagine the new HR-2 are even better.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
abramrnus
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/07/23 at 03:02:02

The Will Vincent SE45 is in my possession. With 1.75 watts, this amplifier is fit for a flea. It may be compatible with my vintage Klipsch Heresys, which have a sensitivity of 100 dB. These would also be suitable for a 300B amplifier (the Led Zepellin at 7 watts!).

IP Logged
jjgasp
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/18/23 at 14:04:21

I’m using Volti Audio Rivals and they sound fabulous played low or loud.  I imagine any similar speaker (e.g., Klipsch Heritage Series) would sound great.

Decware Sarah 300B, 432EVO, Weiss DAC204, Garrard 301/Kuzma 4Point/Soundsmith Hyperion, Modwright PH 9.0X, Volti Audio Rival II
  IP Logged
Rap

Reply #5 - 12/19/23 at 15:15:03

This kind of struck me, from the tectone description of their speakers...

"rich fidelity, and accuracy that escapes the decades-old, obsolete classic full-range/high-efficiency horn loudspeaker."  

If horn-loading is "obsolete" then what is SET?

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit..."
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/20/23 at 13:22:11

What's been made "obsolete" by his design is the objectionable horn characteristic of horn speakers (cup your hands together around your mouth and talk, and you'll hear the effect).

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/23/23 at 05:08:55

Hey Ghost,

I’ve got my eye on the Perfect SET 15, and I’m wondering if you considered
those, or did you think that it would be too much bass for the size of your room? If I pull the trigger on those, I would want the same upgrades as you got, and also wiring for bi-amping. I have a couple of amps that I could use, both with gain controls, so I could dial down the bass if it’s too much.

Randy

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/23/23 at 16:15:36

Yes, I did consider the 15's, and as Eric defined the amp-matching differences between the Perfect SET, Perfect SET15, and 2-10 Perfect SET at the time, the 15 is what would have matched the Sarah the best.

But, the 15 would have locked me into only using a flea-watt tube amp, and if I wanted to go with a higher watt SS amp later, the bass weighting would have been off and I would had to dial back the gain. And, I like using a Sub to overcome room modes, so if the 2-10 was too light on bass, I was going to add some back anyway.

That plan worked great, until things changed. The 2-10s were just a smidge light on bass as expected, I did add bass, and I decided I would very likely never go back to solid state. Then, Eric Alexander introduced the 2-12 Perfect SET, which gives a 5db bump in sensitivity over the 2-10s. So, I sold my 2-10s and got the 2-12s with electronics upgrade and BE tweeters. The bass (for me) is now perfect.

The other reason I didn't go with the P SET15 is that I was told the BE tweeter upgrade was not an option. I would definitely call and speak with Eric Alexander and confirm about the BEs, the difference in fidelity and SQ between one 15 and two 12s, the specific amps you're planning on using, etc. I am highly confident he will steer you in the right direction.

But yes, I think you're on the right track with the bi-amped Perfect SET15s so that you can dial in the bass you prefer.

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/24/23 at 01:26:25

We’re on the same wavelength. When I get more serious about pulling the trigger next year, I’ll call Eric and get some advice on my plan. Thanks for the info!

Randy

IP Logged
mk60

Reply #10 - 12/24/23 at 21:14:15

I'm hoping to pair mine (currently 5th 300B in line on the list, with the first two currently being built!) with my Klipsch La Scala AL5.

I am very much hoping that this amp is quieter than the UFO25 in terms of hum. I'm currently using 2x UFO25s in mono with my La Scalas, and after in depth investigation and discussion with Steve, it would appear that the amount of "built in hum" that the UFO25s have (as a design choice, as explained by Steve), paired with the super high efficiency of my speakers, result in a constant 60 Hz hum that is just a little too loud for me. (and FWIW I did a thorough investigation into the hum and found that all of the hum I'm experiencing is intrinsic to the UFO25s, and is the same from each).

I expect that I'll probably be the first, at least on the forum, to pair the SEWE300B with La Scala AL5s... but just in case anyone else has theirs and has paired it with something that's ~105 dB efficient... any hum?

Main System: Lumin U2 Mini->Denafrips Pontus II->ZTPRE->[2x SE84UFO25 in Differential Balanced Mono]->Klipsch La Scala AL5 + 2x REL 212/SX
Office System: Naim Uniti Atom->SE34I.5->Zu Dirty Weekend 6 Supreme
  IP Logged
Rensselaer
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 01/25/24 at 21:01:47

I’m hoping that when my Sarah arrives that it will play beautifully through my Altec A7’s

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/05/24 at 23:23:17

With great success I have used these speakers with the SEWE300B

GPA (Altec) 604 8H III
Lii Audio F-6s (insane value with some of the best piano laquer finsh I have seen) $415.00 shipped
Decware HDT v II with Lii Audio Silver drivers
Pi Audio Two Pi
TUOLIHAO Q8 V3 (insane value with some of the best lacquer finish ) same to me as Decware T6 to me unless I am shown otherwise and $530.00.

I have no clue how Lii Audio does it but I have heard in person a few as of late. To receive a speaker that couldn't be painted for the cost of a complete shipped speaker would be almost unbelievable if I had not had hands on first hand experience.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged