05/02/24 at 20:47:29 

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
SEWE300B impressions (Read 6503 times)
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

SEWE300B impressions
10/03/23 at 18:26:07

I thought I'd start a thread and not be too formal but share some initial impressions. I like reading Steve's threads and how they progress in findings so I thought I'd do the same. Here's the first of a few thoughts with more to come I am sure.

The below is a copy and paste from another site where the amp Decware is being discussed , and I thought it was time to chime in with ACTUAL experience with this amp.

"I have a few things to work out with this amp but I know when Steve is done with it the minor issues will be solved. I am going on a month with the #4 serial number SEWE300B. I knew what I heard the first day, but let my opinions sit for the last three plus weeks. I will be writing my thoughts down and want to do so properly but with over 40 years of (but not solely dedicated to) horns, tubes, and analog in general this amp in MY system, in MY room, to MY ears it is the finest sound I have heard at any price. I have had several different amplifiers 300b circuits/builds alone over the years that I can remember, and I really want to use the proper adjectives to describe what I am going through, but in "audio" terms it has changed everything for me. I have fell asleep every night in my chair this last week as I did not want to stop listening. I am glad I never gave up on the 300B and this does everything my former benchmark 6P15P-EV based SE84UFO25 Zen triode does but with even more lush huge stage, and realistic vocals, while maintaining that pinpoint Imaging that the 2.3wpc UFO25 model provides. It is almost like being pulled so deep into the music and room everything just falls away, and an awe just settles in.

For now I will leave this here as it seems to have come up more than a few times. I too had some concern when in Steve's comments he almost was bracing potential buyers to be ready for hum. I think it works both ways. It made me immediately almost pass on the amp as my main speakers are 101db sensitivity rated. I put that aside as I know the Decware line, and have owned Decware gear since 2007. It was the most pleasant surprise than when I hooked up the amp it's probably one of the quietest 300B buildsI have heard. It certainly is no louder than a few I had before that I considered benchmark for noise floor in a 300b.

I realize I have been very fortunate over the years in being able to pursue my audio passions , and I'd like to pass that on. If anyone would like to come draw their own conclusions they are seriously welcome to come do so. At least then one could say that they have actually listened to the amp so many are commenting on.

For reference I am currently using a complete set of Cryotone tubes with both the 5u4 and 5ar4 rectifiers to compare. I also have complete sets of all three (OA, OB, and OC2 ) VR tube choices coming including specific 75C1 tubes . I also hope to have the new Sofia Electric Aqua II 274b tube soon. "

Charlie

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: SEWE300B impressions
Reply #1 - 10/03/23 at 18:40:29

Charlie, thanks for sharing these impressions. Like you, I have found this amp to share the most enjoyable and fundamental characteristics of the fully modded SE84UFO3 Zen monoblocks I've lived with and loved for five years, and to have that extra something--a touch of lushness that is at the same time more natural and realistic by another touch. Hard to describe, easy to hear and feel.

I'm in my third month with this amp and I think it has blossomed and stabilized and I'm not restlessly exploring all its potential and nature as I had before. I've just started with a Sophia Electric Aqua II rectifier, the new improved version of the Aqua I determined was the favored one in this amp and it is a pleasant little bump up in all the factors I love about this amp. And I paid more attention to the isolation aspects of my system which also has sweetened the flavoring in just the right way.

I thought I would never sell my Monoblocks, but I was wrong. So I won't say I'll never sell this amp but I think it's the best design of Steve Deckert's yet and I'm going to be happy with it for a long time.

My next target, when I feel I can recklessly afford them Wink is a pair of 300B tubes so that I can have a backup pair. I've been recommended the Cryotone, but I doubt I'll go there. At present, as great as the Sophia Electric are sounding I may move to the just introduced new version, the Classic II 300B. But I'm still pondering and scheming how to afford a pair.

My current tube complement:

"Sun" made in Holland 12AU7 input tube
A pair of RCA made in Holland 7308 driver tubes
Three English made (no label) 75C1 voltage regulation tubes for the input and driver tubes
Sophia Electric Aqua II 274B rectifier
A pair of Sophia Electric Classic 300B power tubes

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 10/04/23 at 01:03:11

Well, I did some more reading about 300B tubes and just decided to order a pair of Cryotone 300B-WC--I only have one pair (Sophia Electric Classic) and need a backup. What Steve wrote both on the forum and in correspondence and the total satisfaction Charlie has exhibited pushed me over the edge even though I've been edged away from Cryotone from past purchases.

They may be just the ticket. We'll see. I love the Classics so if these aren't better they could be back ups.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/04/23 at 12:18:44

I think you'll be happy with them Lon. The 300Bs aren't as initially sharp as some of the other Cryotone tube types. I found them denser than the WE300Bs. I haven't heard the Sofia Electrics, so I'll be interested in your comparison thoughts.

Which other forum is the Sarah being ignorantly dismissed on? I may just have to copy my review there....

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 10/04/23 at 14:39:01

The Steve Hoffman forum. I actually posted your review there as it was the first comprehensive one and went far beyond the video ones. It made no difference to the grumblers and snobs there. They just can't accept that Decware components can have great value and produce amazing playback.

I'll definitely post comparisons with the Sophia Electric. These are giving great sound and I think (especially as they were demo tubes) they are fully seasoned and dishing it out.

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/04/23 at 15:47:36

Talk is, and can be very good. Talk at some point is just that also. I felt comfortable enough that I made a simple offer to all. Hopefully some will take me up on it.

Quote:

"I realize I have been very fortunate over the years in being able to pursue my audio passions , and I'd like to pass that on. If anyone would like to come draw their own conclusions they are seriously welcome to come do so. At least then one could say that they have ACTUALLY listened to the amp so many are commenting on."

Charlie

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/05/23 at 03:07:26

So the non cryoed tube lineup to start is this:
1 pair shuguang 300b black treasure
1 pair of Siemens E188CC/7308
1 Siemens ECC82
3 Mullard OC2
RCA 5u4g/U52 or Amprex 5ar4/GZ34

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 10/05/23 at 03:19:47

Cool. Should get some good sounds. Some of these wouldn't be my choices from past experience with input and driver tubes, but our sources, room and probably sonic preferences are different.

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/05/23 at 03:56:31

That's the thing with a new amp. Gotta start somewhere. Between brands and variants I must have 50 very nice options on the input and driver tubes alone. I have many many rectifiers that can be safely used I believe also.

What rectifiers have you tried so far?

I am also waiting on full sets of all three VR tube options including some 75C1's.

I have The Black Treasures, Sovteks, and some TJ mesh plates. I know I have a set of Sofia Electrics somewhere also as far as 300B's go.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 10/05/23 at 05:01:46

I have used 5U4, 5U4G, Globe 80, ST shaped 80, 5V4G, 5R4 and 5AR4 rectifiers of varying brands, and the winner is the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B and now with only about 30 hours on it the Aqua II. Sophia Electric says that the Classic 300B tubes I have from them are designed to work with the Aqua and Aqua II, and they are right--those are the best rectifiers by more than a few noses.

I only have the one pair of 300Bs--the Sophia Electric Classic 300B. On order I have the Cryotone 300B-WC but I may be weeks from getting those.

I've tried all the different combinations of voltage regulation tubes and have decided that the 75C1, in all three positions, are the very best and they are staying in.

Input and driver tubes I've tried many (including a very nice pair of 6N6P that Steve favors) and have decided on Holland made types--I just love the sound of Holland made 7308 and 12AU7.

You are right--these amps are like "modeling amps" in a way--with every tube role, isolation footer change, etc. the amp changes and there are so many great potential amps within. Which is a silly pursuit until they settle in and down and are more consistent going forward.

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/05/23 at 06:57:31

Wow even the original Aqua? I didn't think it was rated for what was safely needed in this amp? Interesting. I always wondered about the 5V4 only because until now I realized I have never used one in an audio application and have some.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 10/05/23 at 08:05:12

The original Aqua has been in my SEWE300B months now, working perfectly.--the best of all the rectifiers I've heard so far, with the exception of the Aqua II which is subtly better soo far.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 10/05/23 at 16:43:39

Quote:
Posted by: charles hidalgo      Posted on: Yesterday at 22:57:31

Wow even the original Aqua? I didn't think it was rated for what was safely needed in this amp?

Note that the ratings are the minimum acceptable values. Any tube can perform (far) better than the data sheet specs, but of course it is hard to tell which ones are which. For example the Type 80 is spec'd for considerably less than what is required by Sarah, but Lon used it without an issue. Of course how long it might have lasted if he used it long term is a question to which we probably won't ever get the answer.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 10/05/23 at 17:16:52

Yes. I don't think the Type 80 would last forever in the amp. The Aqua (original) I think would not be shortened in life because of it. I have the Aqua II now which is meant to be just fine in the amp, and it's the best rectifier I have tried.

I was a bit incautious in trying some rectifiers but I had a box of 20 fuses and I was using rectifiers I had duplicates of . . . I know how important a rectifier is for the sound and wanted to leave few unturned stones.

IP Logged
Rensselaer
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 10/06/23 at 12:39:54

What are your impressions as to the sound of the Sarah with each of the three voltage regulator pairs? Which is the most”real-sounding” “true to life presence” “suspended disbelief “?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 10/06/23 at 13:29:20

It is tremendously hard to speak definitively of the sound of voltage regulation tubes, or tubes in general, in one system or another. Treating the incoming power or not, using isolation components or not, the differing tubes in the amps, choice of source components, choice of speakers, differing cabling, and even more importantly perhaps one's taste and sense of what is neutral, what is "realistic," what type of music you play, the room you are listening in . . . etc.

I've been playing with 0A2, 0B2 and 0C2 voltage regulation tubes for about 15 years and have all three types in different brands. In my room and system playing around with all three as the amp was breaking in I ended up with three of the 75C1 (0C2) tubes in my SEWE300B. But I am sure that rolling other input, driver, and output tubes, or tubes in my ZTPRE and ZROCK2 another combination would possibly end up being preferred.

As you are likely to buy the amp without tubes and are supplying your own, why not buy three of each type (they are not particularly expensive on eBay and I've never been disappointed buying them from eBay) and experience and decide for yourself? That is likely to be satisfying and allow you to not feel as if you have missed a sonic experience.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 10/06/23 at 15:06:25

Rensselaer wrote:
Quote:
What are your impressions as to the sound of the Sarah with each of the three voltage regulator pairs?

Please note that the Sarah uses a total of three VR tubes, each for the left and right channel Driver tubes, and one for the 12AU7 Input tube. The compatible VR tubes are OC2 which has a voltage drop of 75 volts, OB2 which has a voltage drop of 115 volts and OA2 which has a voltage drop of 150 volts.
You will want to use the same type of tube for the left and right channel driver tubes, but may use a different type to feed the input tube to tailor your sound.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 12/01/23 at 21:10:40

After several weeks of not being able to listen to the SEWE300B it is back. I put an entire set of Cryotone tubes in it and fired it up to an impressive arch followed by a loud 'POP". The 5ar4 rectifier from Cryotone blew immediately with zero time on it. After putting one of Don's 5u4's in it all is well. I had forgot the density that this amp has. I cant think of another way to describe it. My goodness this is a great amp. This Sarah #004 has been one of the best amplifiers I have heard in over 40 years. I'll have an Aqua II rectifier soon to try for a Christmas gift to myself, but holy Moses this amp is a treat as is with these Cryotone tubes! So far the tubes have impressed me. They are very quiet.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 12/02/23 at 06:14:20

Beautiful setup Charles.  I’m glad Sarah is back.

And in a weird coincidence, my (used) Cryotone 5AR4 v2 also put up a light show yesterday upon start-up.  That was the end of that.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 12/02/23 at 12:43:47

Charles, There is something so calming about all the photos of your system. It's very warm and inviting.

I have a rats nest between my speakers.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 12/04/23 at 18:05:15

I'm starting to feel a bit reminiscent as of late. I have been around music since day one. Full analog system with reel to reel , and turntables by age 7.immersed in music 24/7. Working in a recording studio at 12 years of age. Dj'ing house parties, clubs, and radio stations and making a living doing so and recording tapes from 1982 till 1992 (age 12-22). Nuff' said. I recently made some tape copies from several DSD,DXD,DSF files. I have sat down the last two nights for some listening to these recordings. Geez!! The space ,compression, air, placements, and all the good stuff is just effortlessly pumping though this room. I did not say speakers because there literally are NO speakers in this room once music starts. Everything just falls away, and speakers just disappear. I cannot imagine being "done" with tinkering and trying components/speakers for life, but what is going on with this system and it's synergy is more than I could have ever imagined for the gear, and room i have. This is defiantly reference for me! This amp is just remarkable with my current gear lineup, and I sometimes feel I am rambling on and on but I am fine with that.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 12/04/23 at 19:39:00

Charles, I know what you mean. Last week I took out some recordings I made in the late 'eighties of two bands I was in that rehearsed and did demo recordings in my then garage-apartment that years ago I transferred to cdr. Listening to the rehearsals I heard more clearly that space I knew so well, and the differing instruments and voices of the fellow musicians and the PS Audio front end and the SEWE300B made the playback the best it's ever been.

I'm just so grateful that I can press a few buttons on my regenerator and power up the vehicles for this musical pleasure. If only I could have started out with this quality 30 years ago!

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 12/04/23 at 20:08:12

Quote:
If only I could have started out with this quality 30 years ago!

Lord YES!! I am glad I am here, and it's been a wonderful journey do not get me wrong, but YES!

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 12/04/23 at 21:48:08

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 12/05/23 at 15:09:05

Charles, thx for sharing your history with audio. Given the collective experience of members who have been at this game for decades, I consistently hear praise for Sarah as being one of the best amps they have owned and that warms my heart.

Love the pics and the look of the tape machine!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 12/05/23 at 21:34:06

Found my first photo with my dads gear, which became my first system

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 12/05/23 at 23:06:57

Ah so young. . . and so much younger than I! Similarly my Dad's gear got me into both music and the stereo habit. . .starting when I was a bit older and yet eight years before your picture when my father was given an AR, EMI and Dynaco system in '62.

Probably when I took up smoking too! Wink

10542769_913707331977927_4780293502001304920_o_002.jpg

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 12/06/23 at 07:30:28

Great pic!!

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 01/07/24 at 08:48:51

Tonight was again yet another benchmark, and some of the most pleasant audio I have encountered in many years. There is a very big surprise coming also. For now these Lii Audio F-6S speakers are the reason for a big possible change coming. I am speechless for now in the best way. Smiley

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #29 - 01/07/24 at 21:47:13

Man don't you just love it when those things happen? The system almost always matters but not necessarily. I enjoyed a lot of music on so so systems over the decades. But then when you get the system right, it is time to rediscover.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #30 - 01/08/24 at 00:09:11

Quote:
Tonight was again yet another benchmark, and some of the most pleasant audio I have encountered in many years. There is a very big surprise coming also. For now these Lii Audio F-6S speakers are the reason for a big possible change coming. I am speechless for now in the best way. Smiley

Must have been the sound stage that comes from a crossoverless point source on speakers pulled 6 feet into the room : ). The amp would indeed love that.

Happy listening!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 02/03/24 at 09:37:12

So I kind of have two reviews going at the same time. I have newly built HDTvII speakers that are mating with the Sarah better everyday. I have been running a complete Cryotone set with both 5U4, and 5ar4, rectifiers and the sound is just thick as a brink nice! I have to be completely honest in that I have had two of the Cryotone rectifiers (both 5u4, and 5ar4) go bad. It has been a bit disappointing frankly. On the other hand I recently acquired a complete Decware recommended set with the Chinese/Russian tubes and I must say they are a great sounding set. This amp and these HDTvII's are just sublime.

The vinyl experience I am having at this moment of typing is one of the finest I have had in longer than I can recall.

Charlie

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 02/03/24 at 09:41:55

I tried the Cryotone 5AR4 and hated it. But the Cryotone driver tubes and 300B tubes are really nice. I replaced the Cryotone input with a GE 5639 that Steve provided with a ZROCK2 and I'm done tube rolling (I'm also using 75C1 regulation tubes, I love these).

I have had my toe-in on the HR-1 the way you've decided on for these speakers and that is a great compromise. However I now have my HR-1 with NO toe-in and it's best for my less stellar recordings (many!) and my great recordings still sound great.

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 02/03/24 at 15:50:00

One thing that has left me clueless. When I purchased the amp it had a non "hum pot" hum. The hum pots work great. This is a distinct hum in the left channel that is low under the half way position but gets very very bad from half way and up getting louder with more volume. I sent it in for a checkup (it had less than 50 hours at that point), and Steve said it was perfect across the board. It still makes the hum. I have taken it to two other separate houses (one is my speaker builder Jon Anderson, and the other is my friend and amp builder/designer James Burgess) with the same result. I found out after a few months that the original owner complained of the same thing in the same channel in his system. The grounding of the negative terminals does nothing and it does it with no inputs connected. I have tried three separate sets of tubes also. Other than that it is a dream but this hum will bother me forever.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Rhtubes
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 02/04/24 at 14:26:19

Hi Lon,
Did you mean to say GE 5963? Thanks for all your insight on the forums!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #35 - 02/04/24 at 14:33:47

Yes, thanks.

IP Logged
Rhtubes
Verified Member

Reply #36 - 02/04/24 at 17:17:03

Lon, could you describe that GE tube. Does it have gray or black plates, etc.
Thanks again!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #37 - 02/04/24 at 17:23:32

Give me a little bit. I'm not near it at the moment.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 02/04/24 at 17:56:36

Charles, sorry to hear about the hum.  The fact that you have tested this in other systems with the same result, speaks to something being off in that particular unit, but it also went through a Decware checkup with flying colors.  Really bizarre.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #39 - 02/04/24 at 18:39:11

It's a gray plate GE. The real best part may be that Steve selected and tested it. I wasn't crazy about it til I had a few hundred hours on it.

Photo_on_2-4-24_at_1_348239PM.jpg

IP Logged
Rhtubes
Verified Member

Reply #40 - 02/04/24 at 21:50:03

Thank you!

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 02/05/24 at 16:18:42

My goodness things are getting good!

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 02/06/24 at 22:02:12

Quote:
For reference I am currently using a complete set of Cryotone tubes with both the 5u4 and 5ar4 rectifiers to compare. I also have complete sets of all three (OA, OB, and OC2 ) VR tube choices coming including specific 75C1 tubes . I also hope to have the new Sofia Electric Aqua II 274b tube soon.

Roughly four months ago I said the above. After the Decfest gathering, the amp was sent in so it was gone roughly a month. Then Christmas came, then the new year. As of today I have roughly 400 hours on the amp ( I started keeping records since it's return only. When the amp was purchased a brand new set of Wathen cryotone tubes with both 5u4 and 5ar4 rectifiers were purchased. They are possibly the quietest tubes I have owned. Having said that I am really bummed out to say this morning the third replacement rectifier from Wathen arched up then put on a show before the fuse popped in the Sarah. That's two 5ar4's and a 5u4. Before I posted this I wanted to make sure it wasn't any other possible issue to be completely fair. I have run half of those hours with two other complete non Wathen cryoed tube sets from my personal stash. I have tried several rectifiers in these other combos without one hitch. I had got busy and re read the original post and it reminded me I never ordered the Aqua II 274B from Sofia so I did this morning out of frustration partly, though I wanted to try the Sofia II for quite some time prior. I have a rather large pile of expensive boxes accumulating, and I think I am done for now with at least the rectifiers from Wathen. On another note I am very surprised how well things are sounding despite all of the above issues from left channel ac hum in a perfectly new amp to tubes randomly and prematurely expiring. I also moved the gear from the side wall to back up front. I previously ran all my gear into the preamp then ran a 30ft set of xlr's to a zbit next to the Sarah. I now have shorter cable runs, and freed up the Zbit to try on my DAC out into the preamp. Shazaam!! Something is definatly going on that I have never heard. So I'll be in the room the rest of this rainy day readjusting settings and listening I suppose. Wink

No complaints..... just examples of what's been going on lately.

Charlie

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 02/06/24 at 22:23:38

Charlie,

Thanks for the update. It's disappointing to hear about the Walthen rectifier failures, especially given their supposed durability and significant testing process.

Your ever evolving system and observations provide a great deal of thoughtful information to those in the process of building their own systems. The pursuit of a great sounding audio system is an adventure and learning experience for sure.

Here is to dialing in the sound for your musical journey.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 02/08/24 at 20:56:53

Warming up as I type. I need a great sounding rectifier that does blow on me instantly out of the box, or after a few weeks. Please be the one. Smiley

IMG_7630dw_001.jpg

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 02/09/24 at 05:07:50

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 02/09/24 at 05:09:27

A few shots. Sorry but it’s just gorgeous and the sound eith this new Aqua II is just thick as a brick and so deep and airy. Only about 10 hours in.

Charlie

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 02/09/24 at 11:31:50

Wow! Charles, Those are some great shots of the Sarah, especially the black and white one.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 02/09/24 at 16:32:11

I'm still fairly steady. They were handheld with an iPhone 11, but I thought they were nice as well. . Thank you.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 02/10/24 at 05:14:09

I have a bit of a steamy love affair with that particular Sophia.

Love the B&W shot.

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 02/27/24 at 19:05:47

The Sofia Aqua II 274b has been in and running for twenty one days constantly, and this rectifier has put all others to shame for me with my gear, in my world. Now it's setting in and I really would love some money back at this point from Cryotone for all the frustration. I have over 400.00 in rectifiers that are junk in pretty red and black boxes.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #51 - 03/01/24 at 00:58:08

Charles, I'm so glad that the Aqua II has been such a good performer for you. For me too, in all my components, I just can't keep them out.

It's such a shame about the Cryotone rectifiers. Have you reached out to Don about some recompense?

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 03/05/24 at 00:01:54

I'd like to say again though I have been disappointed in the Wathen/Cryotone rectifiers, I also have shouted from the mountain tops how great the rest of the tubes have been from them. I today received a new 5u4 from them free, without asking. I appreciate that, and these threads are being watched I feel. That's nice to know. This was never an attempt to get anything free but again. Thank you Don, and Angie.

Charlie

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables