Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 14:59:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hacking a Zen power tube converter base (Read 657 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Hacking a Zen power tube converter base
09/20/23 at 21:32:28

I’m having an issue with a new set of converter bases for the power tubes on my Zen monos.  The
pins on this new set are a bit too short.   The black screws that hold the sockets in place are preventing the base from fully seating.  I need to notch them out to allow the converter base to fully sear inside the sockets.  

Has anyone every notched them without causing an issue to the functionality of the converter base?  If so….what did you use…a Dremel?  

Thanks in advance
Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Re: Hacking a Zen power tube converter base
Reply #1 - 01/28/24 at 12:30:30

Not following you.  Can you post a photo or a link to the converter base you are using?  I have a milling machine if you need a clean mod.

Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 01/28/24 at 23:40:50

Hi Jerry….  Just reread my post…..yes it’s a bit confusing.  Here are a few pics of what I’m talking about.  I circled the black screws in red.  The converter bases are hitting the black screws on both sides of the amp, preventing the base from fully seating into the tube sockets.  

Ideally I need the area notched out just enough to clear the black screws.  The only thing I don’t know if the underneath side of the base where the epoxy is located has anything electrical related near where I need the notches.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 01/29/24 at 15:09:38

Quote:
Posted by: Dominick      Posted on: Yesterday at 15:40:50

...Ideally I need the area notched out just enough to clear the black screws.  The only thing I don’t know if the underneath side of the base where the epoxy is located has anything electrical related near where I need the notches.

Hey Dom,

It think it is highly unlikely there are any electronics out where you need the notches. Generally the electronics are very close to the pins, and you would be a long way from there. But, another option might be to get a (cheap) 9 pin socket saver to put under the adapter. It should fit between the screws and then you can plug the adapter into it. Good luck either way.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 01/29/24 at 16:25:47

It looks to me that a couple of good wacks with a hammer and a punch where the interference is would fix you right up.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 01/29/24 at 18:37:48

Donnie….The hammer/hand punch method would be interesting…my luck would be that I would suffer a bruised thumb !!  

James…why I didn’t think of the socket saver idea is beyond me.  Sometimes the most obvious solution is often overlooked.  

Thanks,

Dom

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print