Send Topic Print
Zen SE84C+ Sisters (Read 3853 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Zen SE84C+ Sisters
05/10/23 at 03:29:46

After 9 months of avid searching for a second white SE84C+ to run as monoblocks, I finally landed a second one from an original owner.  Many thanks to Mike Clark for giving me the opportunity to buy his beloved white SE84C+ that was very well cared for.    These white amps are very hard to come by these days, and the quest was a bit daunting.

I just got the amp yesterday, so I just started to give it good listen.  Due to an issue with my first Zen amp…it had to be sent in for repair.  So while it was there…I gave it all of the upgrades to bring it up to spec with the current SE84UFO.

So now I have one fully upgraded amp, and one bone stock amp.  I plan to run them as mono’s in the upcoming days, but based on my initial listening session, there is a noticeable difference in the amp with the UFO transformers.  While it’s too early to tell, it seems like I’m going to wind up sending in the second amp to have it fully upgraded as to have them match.

My wife and daughter are stoked…and my daughter has now nicknamed them the Zen Sisters.  Ironically enough they are only like 12 serial numbers away from each other.  

Here is a shot of them in the new setup…

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Zen SE84C+ Sisters
Reply #1 - 05/10/23 at 03:47:59

That’s awesome Dom! Great that you found a matching amp. Having come this far I think you really ought to send the second one in for the updates.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 05/10/23 at 03:53:44

Thanks James!!  Yes it’s been one heck of a journey!

Yes….I had spoken to Steve while the amp was in transit….so yeah it will probably get sent back to the mothership within the next few weeks.  Like you said…I’ve come this far and I already know that the difference in sound between both channels will just bother me.  Need to swap out the volume control knob with the black chicken head.  

I had already done some advanced planning…so I have a second set of socket adapters, the Decware RCA Y splitters, and the Orange fuse in house and ready to go.

Thanks!!

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/10/23 at 12:20:53

Congratulations Dom. Glad you were able to land a second amp, best wishes for the upgrade. Zen Sisters indeed👍.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 05/10/23 at 15:24:50

Since you've joined the "mono bloc club" note that you'll need to start buying tubes in pairs and quads . It is worth it!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 05/10/23 at 16:58:25

HK…..thank you!  Yeah the full upgrades are not cheap…esp. when you add in the warranty transfer which requires a new factory tube set.  It’s actually cheaper to just buy a new one.  But the white SE84C+ was what I always wanted….plus it keeps the wife happy with the new decor.

CAJAMES….yeah Mono Block Club” is going to keep me busy with buying pairs and quads.  Luckily I had already started buying them when I bought my Teslas from our friend Jan.  😉

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 05/10/23 at 18:02:02

Congrats Dominick, I know you've been waiting for this opportunity. Getting the two to match is an expense on top of the purchase price, but will pay off in sonic precision and I think you'll love the resulting sound.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/10/23 at 20:32:46

I love it. Cool history to boot!

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: SE84C+ Zen Sisters
Reply #8 - 05/10/23 at 21:27:55

Lon….yes the added expense for the upgrade is going to sting a bit….but as I saw with the first amp it was well worth the expense.   Sadly I had to pass up buying your white CSP2 which I would have loved to have…but it was the right decision in an effort to obtain the second amp.  

Sean…the story it an interesting one for sure.  I don’t think it gets much better than having a pair of SET amps for your music listening.   Wait….the new Sarah is probably the best of the best with the 300B tubes.  I would really love to hear that amp someday.  

Just got a notification the Decware DSR3 Y cable is back in stock for those out there that are part of the “mono block club” (as CAJAMES puts it).   Luckily I snagged a used pair from a forum member last month when they went up for sale in the classified section.  So for those of you out there who were contemplating them..I would snag them before they go out of stock again.  

Dom

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/19/23 at 20:42:48

Beautiful!  8-)

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #10 - 05/21/23 at 21:38:00

Thank you Charles!  Coming from you and your amazing setup….I’ll take that as a huge compliment! How I wish I had the physical space and your impressive setup.  If I ever visited your house, I would never want to leave.  🙂

Dom

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #11 - 05/27/23 at 08:47:15

Today I finally got the chance to wire up the Zen Sisters as monoblocks after much anticipation. I decided to go directly to vinyl because I felt this would have the most impact.  Ironically I had also received Eddie Money and Aerosmith’s greatest hits in the mail from Elusive Disk today…talk about timing!!

The good:  The extra increase in power was a great welcome.  I was listening to Aerosmith at more than normal listening levels and not going past 3 o’clock on the volume knob.  I still had power in reserve and never came close to clipping the amps.  I know that when I throw on digital, I’ll probably be at like the 1 or 2 o’clock position on the volume knob.

The not so good:  I can totally make out the difference in tone with the fully modified amp vs. the bone stock amp.  The UFO amp throws out more bass and it’s tighter.  The UFO also plays louder… not by a ton but it’s noticeable in comparison.  So this means that the stock one will most definitely be going back for the full upgrades.  The cost is not cheap…but I knew this going in, so I’m not complaining.  

For those that want to experience great SET sound…..running a pair of SE84UFO’s in a mono configuration pumping out 6 watts a piece is the golden ticket; as long as they are paired with a good set of somewhat efficient speakers.  

Here is a pic the Zen Sisters in action.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #12 - 05/27/23 at 14:41:47

Nice Dom!!! I know it sounds fantastic!

I’m at about 107 on the waitlist with my second UFO. Hope to have it sometime in July.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 05/27/23 at 14:50:48

I'm #93 for an SEWE300B and am thinking more like August or later. We'll see.

Congrats Dom! I figured that the differences in the capacitors etc. between the amps would be audible. At least now you know the benefits that having two matched amps will bring!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #14 - 05/27/23 at 14:57:23

That's great Dom! I'm really looking forward to your impressions after you get the second amp upgraded.

I just checked the wait list and I'm at the top of the second page so hopefully I'll have my UFO25s in October/November.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #15 - 05/27/23 at 21:56:22

Lon, Geno, and CAJames….thanks!!  Yes I really can’t wait to get the second amp up to date to have a matched pair.  

All of you guys have great news with getting your new amps in the upcoming months….Congrats to that!!  I will definitely keep you up to date and post my impressions when I get the upgrades completed.  

Dom

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/27/23 at 23:46:51

Congratulations Dom. Man, I bet the mono setup sounds sweet. You're in the zone now.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #17 - 05/28/23 at 06:09:16

Roger,

Yes the mono setup does take it to another level for sure.   When I only had the one SE84C+….. it was fine for the majority of my Jazz listening sessions or for background music.  It was only until I wanted to play some rock music and crank it up… the one amp would run out of steam with my ERR’s.  Now with the two amps… I don’t have that problem. 😁  

When I’m entertaining, playing movies, or want a different flavor….I’ll switch over to my Torii.  Luckily the Torii is hooked up to my Pinnacle bookshelf speakers, so there’s no speaker cable swapping involved.  

I do like the mono block setup where each channel has its own independent power supply.  The Sarah however is a completely amp, is way more complex, and in a different league compared to the SE84UFO’s.  I know you are waiting for your Sarah to come in….so Congratulations!!   One day I need to hear the magic of the 300B tubes, so if I’m ever in your area expect a visit!!  

Knowing now that 6 watts of power in my space is the minimum needed to push the ERR’s above normal listening levels with all genres of music…..I would possibly be inclined to sell my Torii and use that money to fund a Sarah someday.  That would ONLY be if I totally fell in love head over heels with the 300B tubes.  I do love my Torii….so that would be very hard decision.  

Hope all is well with you.  When are you expecting your Sarah?  Please keep us posted once you get it home, I really want to hear your impressions.

Dom

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/28/23 at 09:41:42

Dom,

You're welcome to visit anytime. I'm around 950 on the wait list, so it's still  going to be a fairly long wait. Hopefully under 2 more years?

HK

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #19 - 05/28/23 at 15:46:04

Thanks…I will definitely take you up on that.  And of course if your ever in northern NJ, you have an open invitation as well.  I waited about 1.5 years for my ZROCK2, so 2 years for your Sarah is no big deal in retrospect.  

Dom

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #20 - 02/22/24 at 01:48:44

The Zen sisters are now reunited together once again. They are now finally twins and are both matched with the same internals, having the full Anniversary mods with the Miflex bypass caps with the UFO transformers.  

The prior issue with the volume knob making a scratching noise when the volume knob was rotate is now gone.  Luckily the wiper just needed to be cleaned.  

There is such an improvement with now having the matched internals.  I can definitely tell the difference with the right channel sounding a bit tight by comparison.  

I decided to switch out my speakers, so now I am back to running the Zen mono’s on my Err speakers, and the Torii is now powering my Pinnacle speakers.  I have had so many recent changes with both speakers having new caps and resistor changes, that I now have to really start to do some critical listening. But for the time being, I am really enjoying just listening to music.

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 02/22/24 at 02:50:36

FANTASTIC!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #22 - 02/22/24 at 21:19:01

That's awesome Dom! This has been quite a journey, it must be nice to get to the finish line.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 02/22/24 at 21:53:03

Damn fine Dom. Enjoy your music.

HK

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #24 - 02/23/24 at 02:48:08

Lon, HK, and CAJames…thank you!!  Yes it’s nice to finally hit the finish line with acquiring both amps over a two year period and to now have them upgraded and matched.  I had received a PM from forum member Phil who works at Decware, and he said that the tech who was doing my upgrades was admiring the white amp.  I must say that I really do love the mono block seup.  
Acquiring the Grado 1000’s on a stellar deal was just the icing on the cake!!

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 02/23/24 at 10:03:59

And that preamp has a killer sound to join them together with!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #26 - 02/23/24 at 14:20:23

Lon….I have to say that your old preamp has really added great versatility to my system, as opposed to my ZSTAGE.  The increased gain gives me more flexibility with tuning my gain stages in conjunction with my ZBIT and ZROCK; especially when going back and forth between my mono’s and my Torii.  

Now having just acquired my Grado’s, the CSP2+ is now the workhorse of my system.  I’m still running the same tubes when I acquired it, minus the rectifier, but I plan to give it a fresh set very soon, or at least check the condition of the tubes that are in there.  I just acquired a NOS Telefunken 5AR4, so I really want to see how that sounds.

Plus…..the matching white preamp just puts a huge smile on my face.  

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 02/23/24 at 15:20:09

Dom,

Glad to see you're enjoying the added versatility of the CSP2+. There is even more to be gained through tube rolling, so enjoy the journey. FWIW, I have settled into the following configuration:

Rectifier - Sophia Electric Aqua 274B
Output Tubes - Walthen Cryotone E88CC-WC
Input Tube - NOS 1950 RCA  6SN7GT Smoked Glass w/ adapter

Best tube combination I've found. Great detail, tonality, and holographic as hell. Enjoy the music.

HK

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #28 - 02/23/24 at 18:27:04

Hi HK,

I read your CSP 2+ configuration of tubes and thought "I've got them!" I will give that set a chance to perform this evening in the system that I'm using the CSP 2+. Smiley

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 02/23/24 at 18:42:17

Dom, love the setup, looks great!

X2 on the CSP2+ being the workhorse. I've had mine just a few months now and can't even imagine living without it now. I love the ability to fine tune from record to record. So much media is recorded in so many different ways the CSP really levels the playing field.

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 02/23/24 at 18:52:15

Yes, the three look as if they were made for each other. And that particular CSP2+ that has all the mods added by Steve is just a stellar sounding preamp, so glad it's in your good home.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #31 - 02/23/24 at 22:19:34

HK…thanks for the recommendation on the tubes.  I’m running the RCA 6SN7 smoked glass on the input stage of both mono’s.  I do have another smoked glass RCA 6SN7 VT-213 I got from Kamran, so I think I may have to give it a try once I buy another adapter.  Yes I’m looking forward to starting to roll tubes in CSP2+.  

Sean…I agree with you in regards to vinyl.  The CSP2 + really helps with sub par recordings. I also find myself tweaking the ZROCK2 sometimes more than the CSP2+.  

Lon….yes it does look like they were made to go together as a trio.  It’s a well seasoned piece of gear that really helps to feed and squeeze the best out of the Zen’s.   I got a whole new respect for the the CSP2+ the minute I plugged in the Grado headphones.  

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 02/23/24 at 22:24:38

Yes, that particular CSP2+ was perhaps the very best headphone amp I've ever heard for cone-driven headphones. Special!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 03/16/24 at 07:23:42

Beautiful setup Dom and would love to hear the Zen Sisters in the near future!

Did you get to use the RCA VT-231?

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #34 - 03/18/24 at 02:18:08

Hey Kamran…. Thanks.  Your setup was absolutely stunning today!!  I’m going to post a comment in the upcoming day in the Reflecting on Sarah topic.  I just got the converter base in 2 days ago, so I plan to try the VT-231 this week on my day off.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print