Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 11:45:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini Torri II or Taboo IV (Read 842 times)
Craig B
Verified Member

Mini Torri II or Taboo IV
08/31/23 at 11:24:36

Hi all. I could do with help and advice please. I have a Zen Sarah which is totally amazing. I am looking for a headphone solution and am back on the waiting list for Taboo IV. I started looking at Mini Torri II which is similar in some ways to Taboo and has some things I really like, dual mono config, VR tubes etc, separate volumes controls etc. This got me thinking could I use Mini Torri to solve my headphone problem and provide with a second amp for another system? I know both amps can do this the question is more about their strengths and weakness in both scenarios, driving speakers and headphones. If anyone has these amps and could share some of their thoughts it would be appreciated.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Re: Mini Torri II or Taboo IV
Reply #1 - 09/09/23 at 03:39:28

I hope some one replies to this soon. These were my two most interesting amps until the 300B came out. I would very much like to read a side by side comparison of them.

Brian

IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/09/23 at 05:26:21

I have a Mini-Torii and used to use it for headphones. It is good, but not great with ZMF Atticus headphones. I acquired a CSP3 preamp and now use that with the headphones - SO much better sounding to me. I have not tried the Taboo. I use the CSP3 as a preamp for the Mini-Torii and it makes the amp so much better too.

Love the Mini-Torii with speakers - so easy to change the sound with so many tubes, but for me, not as strong a headphone amp. I don't know what headphones you use, but ZMF has a custom version of the CSP3 for sale that is a better version of the CSP3. And ZMF had a few in stock last I checked.

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
BadWolf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/10/23 at 03:42:15

If your main use is going to be headphones I think the Taboo would easily be the better option. If I did more headphone listening I’d be ordering the Taboo or CSP3 despite already owning a Mini with the headphone mod. I’ve listened to headphones on the Taboo at several Decfests and have been very impressed. I have not heard it power speakers so I can’t comment on that aspect.

Zen OTL, SE84UFO25, Mini Torii II and III, “El Camino” MTM speakers, Schiit Gungnir Multibit, DIY "Zbit", dedicated circuits.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print