Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 10:55:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware is a bad influence (Read 803 times)
Bloozestringer
Verified Member

Decware is a bad influence
09/04/23 at 01:34:49

This forum is a bad influence. I’m new here, although I’ve lurked over the years. Almost bought one of the original SE84’s back in the day.

My music room, which is mainly guitars and guitar amps, is a tiny 12.5’ x 13’ with a 8’ suspended ceiling with those thin plastic tiles and carpet on the floor. System is complete lofi which I’m aiming to rebuild from scratch (a lot of diy) after 40 years of messing around. I’ve always loved open baffles and have mainly heard 2-3 way, but not many full range setups if any kind. That’s not stopping me from setting money aside to get a pair of Caintuck magnum baffles and a pair of F15’s. Taking a big chance never hearing them, but it will be a first step in the process. For the time being I have a Pass ACA and a diy 1626 amp I built to try them on. Everything else I have is old SS (Sansui Au-719, Nad c320bee). Right now I’m mainly streaming from a Raspi 4 using Moode (and hdd) using airplay to the NAD into some Polk Monitor 5B’s I bought in ‘84 or so and recently rebuilt the crossovers, braced the cabs, and put in upgraded tweeters. I Also have a pair of diy pseudo arrays. DIY stuff on the table currently is a Hagerman Clarinet and Aikido pre’s, EL34 Baby Huey amp, and a My_Ref Freman amp. I just like to mess with this stuff, but speaker building is really out of my wheelhouse.

Anyway, first I get the F15’s then I need to pick an amp. The Decware list is so long 🙄, but the SE341.6 intrigues me. I’m planning on spending maybe $2k a year on stuff if I can swing it. I know that’s not a lot for some of you, but it’s a good chunk for me.  So eventually a decent DAC, turntable to go with my Seduction pre, preamp, and a good streamer with NAS for flac storage is on my list.  

Anyway, that’s my run on jibberish for today.

IP Logged
cmdc

Re: Decware is a bad influence
Reply #1 - 09/04/23 at 03:27:11

First, get those Caintuck F15s. They don’t have to be the Magnums, and used ones come up here and on HiFiShark pretty regularly at reasonable prices.  They are just really, really good speakers.

And, because they’re so sensitive, you can buy pretty much any used Decware amp that comes up (either here or on HiFiShark) and be pretty sure it will sing. Don’t get too hung up on comparing one model to the next.  I have a ZMA, a Torii Mk IV, and an SE84UFO25, and they all work with the F15s, and they all sound better than anything else I’ve used up to this point.

Will it get expensive if you hang around here too long? My experience says Yes, yes it will. But it doesn’t have to. Used ZenAmps pop up within your 2k budget with some frequency. And odds are, you’re much more likely to regret the Decware amp you don’t buy than the one that you do.  Which means that you should check often. And if something comes up that interests you, move on it when you see it. Great amps pop up for sale regularly here; but they never last long.

Good luck,

Carroll

Main:[[TD124 [Koetsu RWS>SME 3009S2Imp][Aidas Durawood>Moerch DP6]][TD124 [Ortofon A90>Kuzma 4Pt9]]>Ned Clayton Cinemag SUT>Dodd Audio Phono Stage>ZRock2][SonicTransporter i7>Mytek Brooklyn Bridge]>ZSB>ZMA>[Zu Druid Mk V][Caintuck Lii 15 OBs/Bass Baffle]
  IP Logged
Bloozestringer
Verified Member

Re: Decware is a bad influence
Reply #2 - 09/05/23 at 01:13:35

Thanks Carroll.

I know I’d either like the plus or magnum baffles. If I end up needing some reinforcement in the low end I could get a w15 in a magnum and they’d all match 😉

So my $2K budget would be 1/2 spent on the Lii F15/Caintucks, but I could go ahead and put my name on the list for a Decware amp and set money aside for 6 months. I’ve always wanted one, hifi just hasn’t been a priority until my kids were finally out of the house. I know the Rachael wouldn’t sound any louder than the SE84, so what’s the advantages or disadvantages to the Rachael vs the SE84? The Torii is just out of my budget, but I am building a PP EL34/6L6/KT88 amp.

Thanks again, Shane

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print