Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 13:32:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Messing with pure crap and enjoying it (Read 927 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Messing with pure crap and enjoying it
08/26/23 at 02:51:22

It is no secret that I have at some times "questionable" taste in my stereo equipment choices.  
Luckily I stumbled into Decware over 10 years ago and put my listening on a much more stable glide path.

But I still like to do silly things to entertain my easily bored self. While I sure don't have ADD (ask anyone who has ever worked with me, I can concentrate to an almost trance like level) but sometimes something sparkly does catch my attention.

After finishing my last project speakers for a vacation trip, I came into the need for a semi small, cheapish amplifier to power them.

Well Amazon to the rescue, after a months long search (More like 5 minutes) I settled on a Fosi T3 "tube" amp.
$129 American!

https://fosiaudioshop.com/products/fosi-audio-t3-bluetooth-5-0-hybrid-stereo-tub...

Well it doesn't suck, at least not bad.

It plays these little single driver speakers way better than it should.

I have it hooked up to my Denafrips Ares DAC with interconnects that cost 3 times as much as the amp and a power cable that was twice as much as it.

When I tried to use the Bluetooth connection, well let's just say that I didn't use that mode very long. It sucked donkey balls.

Anyway, for a cheap amp I guess that it is ok, I can stand to listen to it without wanting to shoot it with my .45 ACP.

So there you go, I had a bit of fun with pure crap and got out the other side without stinking myself up too badly.

Does anyone else have tales from the cheap side of the street to tell?

A fuzzy weekend in Tijuana with a discount tube vendor?

A back alley turntable??

Dollar store CD's????

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Messing with pure crap and enjoying it
Reply #1 - 08/26/23 at 12:44:04

As one that don't have a big problem of spending $400 for a single tape or $50 for one LP, I do like to rummage for bargains. Besides, my resource of cash limits the extravagant purchases.

A couple of weeks ago there was an add in Facebook's marketplace that read something like hundreds of albums for sale, possibly a thousand for $100. The pictures showed some old shellac 78's along with cardboard boxes, plastic/wooden crates, and totes full of albums.

The location of the albums was within 10 miles of home at an old mansion. The owner turned out to be a catfish of estate liquidations. He had all four levels of this mansion full of excess items from estate sales. There was many 78s(150 actually) in the album lot sale. The few looked at close seemed to be in excellent shape. There was 45s(100) and over 700 LPs. Nothing really to brag about other then the shear quantity. The 78s sold me! The lot filled my wife's Sonic and exposed its lack of power under load on the way home.

The catfish helped me load the car. I went back in the mansion to see what else might be of interest. In the basement, a set of ladder jacks was found, on the porch a set of artist fountain pens popped up, the first floor dining room produced another small lot of albums, the kitchen table supported a harmonic in C. Second floor had a couple of boxes of reel to reel tapes(175 7" reels of which half were brand new prerecorded retail releases) under the front set of windows. I never made it to the top floor and made arrangements to pick up the tapes.

So, for the price of a set of ladder jacks at Home Depot, all of the items above made it home Cheesy

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
loserpart
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/22/23 at 09:35:48

Really surprised by your financial management ability. Maybe I'll have to learn more from you.

WWW   IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/26/23 at 17:25:21

One full range speaker, analog guts, does a fine job filling the shop with tunes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print