04/29/24 at 13:54:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
15ohm speakers (Read 780 times)
oztayls
Verified Member

15ohm speakers
09/25/23 at 06:17:52

Hi everyone. I have a SE84UFO2.1 on order (with about 640 orders still ahead of me).

A few months ago I happened to come across some ex Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC) speaker monitors. Our ABC was the equivalent of the British BBC back in the day. Sadly, both are shadows of their former selves. However, I'm digressing.

The speakers I found were 1960s Leak Sandwich (Studio monitor) and Leak Mini Sandwich (Mobile studio monitors), both two way 15ohm. They are very unique designs utilising unique ultralight drivers comprised of thin polystyrene cones sandwiched inside aluminium foils on either side, hence the moniker. The magnets are huge AlNiCo. The cabinets are very well braced and damped. The crossovers are minimalistic.

The first use of these Leaks was connected to a 2.3W 6CL6 Spud Kit amp, before I even replaced the original big-can electrolytic caps with low inductance polyester stacked foil types. We could not believe our ears! They had very nice bass and were FAST! Weeks later, following restoration, we decided to sell our Klipsch Heresies (V1.5 and V4) as they sounded muddy in comparison with the Leaks. Since then, we have found that they also like being driven by our 3W Bottlehead Stereomour II amp, sounding superb actually.

Not long ago, I read something about the Zen preferring to drive low impedance speakers, in the 4-8ohm range. Has anyone driven speakers in the 15-16ohm range with the Zen?

Thorens TD124, Thorens TD125, Lii Audio Fast8 wine barrel oak OBs, Yaqin MS33B, Home made Shure SUT, Bluesound Node, EAR 834 clone, Spud Kit (SEP), Leak Sandwich+Leak Mini Sandwich 15ohm ex ABC monitors, Bottlehead Stereomour II
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: 15ohm speakers
Reply #1 - 09/25/23 at 20:44:09

I haven't done it myself but Steve says the amps are fine with speakers from 2 ohms to 16 ohms and I'd take him at his word. I can't find the exact quote but I recall Steve saying the UFO amps were happier driving low impedance speakers relative to other tube amps, because of the characteristics of the output tube. Not that they suffered when driving higher impedance speakers (which I think it is unlikely for any tube amp). I feel like if they sound good with your spud amp they will sound great with a UFO.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/25/23 at 21:39:11

I have used these (results may vary of course) with success in the past. I suspect you are fine though.

https://www.zuaudio.com/diy/loading25r

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
oztayls
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 09/25/23 at 22:42:38

Thanks guys, I suspected I'd be OK. The Leaks are very efficient. No data, but drive a little louder than Heresies, so I would say close to 100% sensitivity. They are tube era and built to be driven by their own tube amps I guess.

Thorens TD124, Thorens TD125, Lii Audio Fast8 wine barrel oak OBs, Yaqin MS33B, Home made Shure SUT, Bluesound Node, EAR 834 clone, Spud Kit (SEP), Leak Sandwich+Leak Mini Sandwich 15ohm ex ABC monitors, Bottlehead Stereomour II
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print