Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 10:17:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is my room big enough for the Headwrecker? (Read 1338 times)
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Is my room big enough for the Headwrecker?
08/25/23 at 03:13:56

Hi all, I am new to the forums, but have been a long time reader, and I have a question.  I am interested in building a pair of Steve's new Headwrecker design for the PT-10 that is on the way.  My dedicated media room is 16 x 21 feet with an 8 foot 4 inch ceiling.  It is rectangle with no windows and a door that can remain closed. It has a large sectional couch and is carpeted and has some bookshelves that act as diffusers in the back of the room but no other room treatment at this point.  I do plan to add room treatment soon. My question is will the HWreckers be too big for this space?  My other option would be to build Leon's Liionidas open baffle design with the PT-10 on top and W-15's on the bottom and biamp them using a SET amp for the PT-10's and perhaps a crown amp or hypex amp for the W-15's.  Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Dave

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Re: Is my room big enough for the Headwrecker?
Reply #1 - 08/25/23 at 15:28:35

Dave, I’m finding it hard to be certain without visualizing the room, but just on room dimensions alone, you look to be ok.  For reference, I have 43” tall Klipsch tower speakers in a 13x17 room (and a pair of Open Baffles) with a 7’ ceiling and a good amount of room treatment and I don’t feel cramped.

You could try to mock it up with some cardboard boxes to err on the side of caution.  Hopefully, others can chime in.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 08/26/23 at 03:26:02

Thanks Kamran!  That is helpful.  I would position the speakers on the 16 foot width of the room and can sit back as far as I need to into the 21 foot length of the room.  The door is in the back corner of the room and it is a rectangle mostly with a slight push in the back corner where the door is.  I can be flexible with the placement of the speakers in the room since this is a dedicated listening space.  I don't know if that helps. I would appreciate any input or guidance others might have.  Thanks again.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/26/23 at 12:43:25

After the fest, I could probably weigh in with a better opinion, but I think you could do it.

I have p10s in open baffles with separate bass drivers.  My room is 16.5 X 12.5.  The P10s are a very clear, dynamic driver.  

You will certainly not want for volume.  

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/26/23 at 12:57:05

When listening to the Headwreckers at Steve's imaging suffered from being placed close to the back wall. Something that should be considered being the HW are 28" deep in themselves.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/28/23 at 10:19:36

Don't forget these:
https://www.purersound.com/product-page/pure-sound-panels
I bought a pair after being recommended here and they are fantastic for fixing small-room issues where you're forced to have the speakers close to the front wall.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 08/28/23 at 13:34:25

Thanks to all of you for all of your helpful responses. I was out of town for a while and not able to check in regularly. I appreciate everyone's insight. It will be great to hear some feedback from dec fest from any of you who are able to attend. It sounds like it is worth giving this a shot, particularly with the proper room treatment. I think I will get started on my build while I am waiting for my platinums to arrive. I'm still open to anyone else's thoughts about whether I'm going to overload my room with the head wreckers.
Thanks again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print