Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 11:16:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84UFO2.1 or SE34I.6 (Rachael) (Read 5346 times)
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

SE84UFO2.1 or SE34I.6 (Rachael)
08/20/23 at 21:25:43

Hi all. We are finally on page one of the 'build sheet' and our order is of the SE84UFO2.1. I tossed around which model at the time of order, but now I am second guessing for the Rachael. We will be using a pair Klipsch ChorusII's which are 'said' to be 101db @ 1watt/1 meter. We listen to all kinds of music from mellow rock (Sarah McLachlan, Bread, America  type) , some country-blue grass (Alison Krauss,) to classic rock like Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Rush etc. We do tend to crank up the volume some and when we have it turned down, it is likely still above the average listeners level. Anyway, any input is greatly appreciated.  [smiley=beer.gif] I need to make my mind up.. for keeps soon. At least the next few months.  :D  ~Mike  

use4.jpg
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: SE84UFO2.1 or SE34I.6 (Rachael)
Reply #1 - 08/20/23 at 21:33:45

I guess I'd start with these two questions:

What is it about the UFO that made you choose it in the first place, and what is it about the Rachel that is making you reconsider?

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/20/23 at 21:39:04

Mostly $$$. Increased output a bit as well maybe.. I read this a few months ago and it just stuck with me too. Steve Deckert about Rachael: "In summary, if I were building and amplifier for myself... this is how I would do it when there are no concerns about the profitability of mass production or how much power it might make and you just want the very best possible sound."

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 08/20/23 at 22:00:12

I'd say the good news is I don't think you can go wrong with either.

The math says the difference between 2.3 watts and 6 watts is about 4 dB, so the difference the speakers being 101 dB efficient and 97. Klipsch isn't really my thing, but even though the conventional wisdom says they may be a little less sensitive than their spec, I still feel like the UFO would have enough juice for you. Are you getting the anniversary mods with the amp? If not I would highly recommend them. I would much rather have the mods than the wood base and meters if money is tight.

For me personally I had a pair of UFOs configured as balanced monoblocs. I didn't do it for the extra watts, but with 94 dB speakers in a smallish room I had plenty of power. And I liked the sound so much I got back on the waiting list for a pair of UFO25s (I'm in the 80s now). Those UFOs are the only Decware amps I've heard, so I'm unapologetically biased, but if it were me and a UFO amp seemed like a good idea 2 years ago I'd say it is still a good idea now.

But....if you think you're going to be second guessing yourself about "what if I had a few more watts" then I don't think there is any downside in switching your order. Lots of posters love their Rachaels too.

That's my non-answer, totally FWIW.

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/20/23 at 22:32:00

My speakers are pretty rare, but we sure love them, since 1998. Just looking for those that either have one or the other or maybe even both amps.  Klipsch forteII, or my model. Great response! Thanks for that James!

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/20/23 at 22:33:08

I've been going back and forth recently between standard ufo , ufo2.1 and a .4 Rachael...... with various speakers that do include klipsch rp8000f , 600m's mk1 and 2 . As far as volume level goes between the ufo vs rachael ?  I hear more differences between recordings than amps themselves . In fact if I were to just toss a wild guess out there I would say my basic UFO no mods might "seem" to play louder "sometimes" and that's just my perception . All amps have healthy fresh tubes in them ( el34 in Rachael ).

Thats also with feeding amps straight from cd/dac with no preamp.

I dont even want to try and dissect how they differ in sound from one another... they are close and I dont prefer one over the other.

I am glad I have meters available on amps to help with keeping an eye on tube quality/strength ,

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/20/23 at 23:09:52

Not all that many of us using older Klipsch, especially with all these Decware versions you actually own! Awesome! I may pick your brain some if you don't mind down the road via message. I too would only be using the dac inside an Oppo 103 as the only source hooked up directly to the amp. What a great reply too Jack~ Really appreciate your input!! Mike

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/21/23 at 02:57:33

Mike , take note I am listening in a smallish 10x11 - 12ft ish size area. My speakers and I are at a roughly 7 ft triangle .

IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/21/23 at 05:28:23

Hello, Mike.  Congratulations on getting close to delivery of your amp.

I have an old SE84C and a more recent Rachel (SE34I.5).  I really liked the SE84C sound - when I bought it I confirmed that I could hear a clear difference from an older solid state receiver.  I thought the SE84C was much more "detailed," and I heard things in familiar music that I had never heard before.  I use the SE84C with Klipsch RP-260F speakers that have a rated sensitivity of 97db. (This speaker is now discontinued, but it is very similar to the current rp-6000f speakers).

I recently bought a Rachel (to ultimately drive a less sensitive speaker).  My initial listening was on the Klipsch RP-260f's, and I thought the sound was very similar to the SE84C, but with the ability to play a bit louder.  I think I have read reviews on this forum that indicate the Rachel may be a little more "laid back" than the SE84C, but I did not hear a big difference between the two amps (full disclosure - I do not have "golden ears!).  

I do have two observations:

(1) I note that you like to listen at above average levels.  CA James noted that choosing the Rachel could let you avoid second guessing your choice, and I think that may particularly make sense with the long wait-list times.

(2) It looks like you will use the amp without a pre-amp.  While most Decware amps come to full power with an input of 2 volts, the Rachel needs 2.5 volts to reach the full 6 watt output.  Without a pre-amp, the Rachel might only provide about 4.8 watts (still roughly double the power of the SE84UFO) rather than 6 watts.  That suggests that the Rachel might give you about 3db of additional volume, rather than 4db (which is not a huge difference).

Hope that provides a little help (and I agree with CA James that both amps seems like good choices for your efficient speakers).

IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/21/23 at 18:03:13

Mike, when I was selecting my amp the UFO and Rachel were my choices, due to price over the other options and after reading all the design notes of Steve for the amps. I just decided the UFO 2.1 the way to go. I did get upgrade copper and love the amp. I operated with solid state pre, now tube pre, but also without a pre. I typically listen at 65-85 db on my Omegas and my 74 Heresy’s that are rebuilt. At that volume still not clipping ( have never clipped) and listened up to 95 db avg on phone app. Hope this helps and good luck!

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/21/23 at 18:30:34

I have not heard an 84UFO, but have heard earlier Rachaels.

The one I owned for a while, I think maybe .2, so quite a while ago, was a little too low power for my speakers and room, too close to clipping on some music. So I punched it up with GZ34, KT77, and a 6N2P to try for a greater sense of optimized loudness, and that worked to a point, though for this setup I ended up with a Torii. That said, I really liked the open clarification and dynamics these tube changes brought to the SE34 amp in this setting.

I did not know much about tubes then, so don't know what I would end up with now, especially if I had more efficient speakers (the ones I had at the time were 94dB), but maybe not the 6N2P and who knows what else.

Where I am heading though... one thing to consider with a Rachel is the ability to get more sonic landscape flavors with tubes, having more options with the power tubes. Not that this would necessarily make it "better," as a lot of folks seem to love the SV83/6P15P-EV and the SE84UFOs in general, but I love to play with tube tuning options myself, so just another thought from a tube head.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/21/23 at 18:44:05

Good point Will, that was one of the advertised and commented about statements heard, the many tube options. I wanted it simple likely one of the reasons went with 2.1, and the lighted meters!

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 08/21/23 at 19:43:40

Quote:
Posted by: will      Posted on: Today at 10:30:34

...But where I am heading... one thing to consider with a Rachel is the ability to get more sonic landscape flavors with tubes, having more options with the power tubes. Not that this would necessarily make it "better," as a lot of folks seem to love the SV83/6P15P-EV and the SE84UFOs in general, but I love to play with tube tuning options myself, so just another thought from a tube head.

True, but.... between the input tubes and rectifier there plenty of options to keep (almost) any UFO owner busy rolling tubes for as long as she/he wants. And if you want to get a little crazy with the power tubes there are other flavors of the 6P15P to try as well as e.g. the EL83 and EL822 with adapters, with which I've had excellent results.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/21/23 at 20:25:02

Yes, just depends what one considers plenty and excellent in a given setting and for given tastes. Smiley

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/21/23 at 21:22:11

I should clarify that a bit....

Some folks seem really good staying with the stock tubes more or less in their Decware amps, and maybe playing with new brands or NOS when replacements are needed.

And I have no doubt that using just an SE84UFO with tubes available can have many flavors playing with three tube types.

A little more out on the tubehead, tune-ability loving limb... in my current setup, I am using my 300B amp which has four tube types. A 6SN7 input, though at the moment I am preferring a little more open and powerful sounding 7N7s with an adapter, making the amp clearer and more vivid. Its internal set up is still just a little dark/full for me, but as much, the 300Bs I am using now are a bit warmish for me. So using cleaner, more open tubes in other places to pull the deeper beauty is a great tool. And beautiful it is! Open these 300Bs up with other tubes, and the amp really sings, even without a lot of hours on the 300Bs...

For drivers are 6BX7, and I hear less profound differences in makes and vintages, but still useful for sound shaping. Then 300Bs and rectifiers, variations of both pretty powerfully influencing this amp's sound. Seems these 300Bs in a resolving setup, and in this amp, can be changed by the other tubes in big ways, particularly powerful with the input and rectifiers. Both of them together can make a particular 300B sound really good, great, or pretty world class lucid music with the right tube support.

Also, I am using a ZBIT, Zrock2, and ZStage as pre. The latter two I sometimes use 12AU7 variants, and sometimes 12AT7 variants, which can represent pretty vast choices for adjusting sound with these one-tube components... and even more so tuning them together, and with the 300B amp.

So this system has four components after the DAC using 6 tube types, as well as the ZBIT, ZRock, Zstage gain adjustments for pretty powerful tuning tools, all of which I play with regularly, especially as I get to know this amp.

In my Torii IV system, the Torii has 5 tube types, all very useful. Though I don't adjust VRs much anymore, I am really glad to have been able to adjust them to tastes, as I much prefer how the ones I use influence the rest of the tubes and sound options in general compared to stock. Then the ZBIT, then ZRock, then CSP3 which has 3 tube types, all of which I play with fairly regularly for overall system tuning... for optimizing other tube changes... and for changing up the sound experience some, helping me hear more into the music.... So that is 10 tube positions, 8 that I enjoy playing with with some frequency, along with four gains to tune optimally for system/room, and for recording variations.

Of course, this is how my journey has evolved, and not for everyone, but great for crafting a very refined sound to tastes and room. Pretty amazing how this many options and more can take it all above and beyond in optimization toward a deeply transporting and authentic sound.

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 08/22/23 at 16:10:48

I knew I would see some awesome responses here! Such great folks that know about Decware and the amps built. We are new to tubes and these have all been wonderful posts. I have some thoughts to soak up from this.. Thank you all so much!  [smiley=beer.gif] It's our 41st Anniversary today, and Kathy was the reason I ordered the amp to begin with. She kept on me to order it..or 'I will order it for you' she said. Married my grade school sweetheart at 18. So Blessed. One lucky dude.

109.jpg
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 08/22/23 at 16:13:28

Nice! Happy days.

My wife loved the music almost as much as I without the audio quest part also driving her as much as I. But she liked that too as I went. She had a great ear, and always corroborated or expanded my perception by how she heard and interpreted subtle changes. Lucky too!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 08/22/23 at 16:16:01

That's fantastic Mike. Happy Anniversary! Love is the most important thing. It doesn't ever have to end, if you hold onto it even death can't conquer it.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #18 - 08/22/23 at 16:33:13

Happy anniversary Mike and Kathy.

Cheers

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 08/22/23 at 16:41:12

Thank you Will, Lon and Tony!!, She is the reason I am still here. A very serious neck injury causing a dissected carotid in 2017. Now this last April a stroke caused from damage in carotid. She was told to quickly make a decision whether to have them cut me open or give a 'clot buster' med. She was a mess over this, but knew I would have gone for the non-surgery option. She was exactly right as usual. A long 45 minute ambulance ride to a hospital. I was a mess for a couple of months after  this. I will never forget after being home from ICU, trying to sleep one night, I noticed she was not in the bed with me. I got up noticing she was in the living room crying so hard and trying to be quiet. I never want to have her go through this again. Ever. Anyway, I have never told this before. Later I told her to just be glad I was once a rocket scientist. Love to see her laugh. You folks make my day~ Here is my way better half sporting a Pink Floyd shirt. She is a music nut just like US!

117950770_2790775624491498_1806629755426715103_n_001.jpg
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 08/22/23 at 16:45:32

Sweet Mike! Glad you are getting sorted out from you health trauma! Nothing like a supportive and loving wife!

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 08/22/23 at 16:53:32

very much so!! Thank you Will Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 08/22/23 at 17:00:35

Great story with a happy ending. So many stories like this don't end as well. Several of us here could tell them, but we'd rather hear one like this.

Hope you both have a wonderful day.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 08/22/23 at 17:24:28

Thank you Lon. A beautiful day has already began~ Hope you and yours as well!  [smiley=beer.gif]

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 08/22/23 at 18:15:26

Congrats on the Anniversary! We recently celebrated lucky 13. Unlike you guys, my wife doesn't share the same level of music insanity as I do, but i'm keeping her just the same. She can't understand my need to be "in" the music, she just needs to hear it.

And that's a hell of a health scare, glad you pulled through.

Have you come closer to deciding on an amp? I can't offer much advice. I've only heard the SE84UFO and a SE84C-EX. I rarely stretch it legs to full beans, so 90% of the time I'm happy with its output. It's a very rare occasion that I get to the point of, I wish there was a bit more oomph. I run speakers in the mid/high 90DB range in a 14x20ish room.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Tone-Deaf
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 08/22/23 at 19:15:15

Congratulations on your Anniversary, and glad you are getting through the health scare.  As with many things, a team effort can help get through health issues!  

Best wished for the day.

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 08/22/23 at 19:37:08

Hi Sean. Congrats to you guys as well! And thank you for the best wishes too! As of right this minute, I am still sticking with the original order. Something I forgot to mention in original post, our front room is on the larger size 30 feet wide x 25 feet long. Room is shared with the kitchen and dining room opposite of living room side. One of them open floor plan deals. High cathedral ceilings at 14 foot peak running front of room to rear. Rest of home has 10 foot ceilings. Our main speakers are at 9 feet apart and we sit in front of them at 15 feet. Currently we have a 5.3 set up for surround and HD music etc. splitting between that and stereo depending. Current setup sounds fantastic in here. Amazingly so! The Decware will be used with the same fronts and the 'extra' oppo as source all by itself when listening to the Decware. We can tell that these speakers are definitely sensitive as they can easily gain clean volume with ease. We do not play mind blowing levels as we are not exactly kids anymore...but as posted..a bit louder than average levels for us. Thank you Sean! Smiley

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 08/22/23 at 19:40:35

Thank you Tone! She's been the best part of me since forever now. My best friend since just little kids. Really appreciate that!  [smiley=dankk2.gif]

IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #28 - 08/22/23 at 20:33:25

I have owned both!

Presently we have a pair of SE84UFO's.  Previously, I have had the original SE84, then two of them.  Have had nearly every iteration except the "Twenty fifth Holy Grail".

I have owned the Rachel for ten years.  Loved it!  Recently, I sold it to finance another amp.

Decware has never sold an inferior product in my opinion.  Each of their offerings are exceptional !

That said, I like the sound of the SE84UFO the best for me.  Others will disagree.

I'm sure that whatever you chose will make you happy!

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 08/22/23 at 23:32:33

Mike,

I have a couple of responses for you—both on an emotional as well as practical level.

First and foremost—Happy Anniversary!  The relationship you two share, really warmed my heart.  I really needed a pick me upper today, devastated by the grief that comes with shipping your first born to college.  Your story touched me in a profound way about love and family. So thank you!  I knew I was going to cry at least twice this year—once when my son left for college and second when Sarah arrives at my doorstep.  Phase 1 was on point—-and probably exacerbated by the fact that I’m also near the finish line with my amp.  God, I’m a mess for the past 24 hours—which is probably why the half hour session I snuck in last night sounded like hot garbage.

Ok emotional part over.

Unlike others who have owned both amps, I can’t answer with any amount of certainty, but trust me that I have researched this issue to death.  Given how sensitive your speakers are, you should be fine either way.  For some perspective, I have tested 6V6 tubes on my Klpsch RP-8000f tower speakers, which are I believe rated at 98 db sensitivity.  Even with the purported generosity of Klipsch with respect to sensitivity claims—-I had no issues with an output of 5 to 6 watts and was able to rock the listening room. With 101 db sensitivity, you should get satisfyingly loud levels even with the UFO.  Not to mention, I’ve heard many a story with folks driving lesser sensitive speakers (compared to yours) to satisfaction with the UFO amp.  Hope this helps!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 08/23/23 at 13:52:24

Congratulations on you 41st anniversary, Mike and Kathy!

That's a big number!

Glad to hear your health problems are more manageable these days.
Best of luck!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 08/26/23 at 13:07:50

I have a Rachael and a Zen 25th.  I find the Rachael to be more of a silkier sound and the 25th to be faster and more detailed.

After I had had my Rachael for some time, I heard a Zen at a friends and fell in love with that speed.  I was determined to own one.  Then Steve came out with the 25th.  I heard it at the fest and it was game over.

I use the Rachael in a secondary system in a large room with vaulted ceilings and 97db speakers and it can be plenty loud and sounds great.

So I don't think you can go wrong with either.  It just depends on what sounnd you want.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 08/29/23 at 02:20:06

"That's fantastic Mike. Happy Anniversary! Love is the most important thing. It doesn't ever have to end, if you hold onto it even death can't conquer it." Lon, that really hits home. Smiley Such wonderful people here. I have decided to stick with the original order. Thank you all so much! I appreciate every reply very much! All the very best everyone.. ~Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print