Send Topic Print
What is your count? (Read 3620 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

What is your count?
08/20/23 at 12:53:26

So this morning I stubbed my toe on a speaker in my listening room, and after I cursed, a question ran through my head. How many speakers are enough?

I then counted how many pairs of speakers I had around my place, not counting TV's and stuff like that, just pairs of speakers.

Seven! Seven pairs of speakers!
I do build a lot of speakers.

Well then I decided to count amplifiers.

Five amps!
Yeah one of them is a cheap Lepai $25 amp, but it powers a pair of speakers in our laundry room, so it counts.

What a overabundance of audio gear I have!

So what is your count??

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What is your count?
Reply #1 - 08/20/23 at 13:33:49

Only four pair here. Two pair of HR-1 being used, one pair of ERR not in use, and a pair of Peachtree small speakers gathering dust under my bed that used to be used in a system now headphone only.

And five amps: a pair of SE84UFO3 Monoblocks now not in use, the SEWE300B, the Taboo Mk IV, a DALAUDIO amp and a cheap SABAJ amp that is fun to play with some time.

An embarassment of riches.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
cmdc

Reply #2 - 08/20/23 at 13:51:29

Eight pairs of speakers (not counting the ones I’ve given away, put out on semi-permanent loan, or set up for the kids). Admittedly, I came close to making it nine a few days ago.
Five or six amps, depending on how you count.
Seven turntables and about that many phono stages. Eight (err…no..make that nine) tonearms. I honestly don’t know how many carts.
Then, you know, all the other stuff.

But I make my own speaker wire, so I can point out to my wife all the money I’m saving on that.

Main:[[TD124 [Koetsu RWS>SME 3009S2Imp][Aidas Durawood>Moerch DP6]][TD124 [Ortofon A90>Kuzma 4Pt9]]>Ned Clayton Cinemag SUT>Dodd Audio Phono Stage>ZRock2][SonicTransporter i7>Mytek Brooklyn Bridge]>ZSB>ZMA>[Zu Druid Mk V][Caintuck Lii 15 OBs/Bass Baffle]
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #3 - 08/20/23 at 14:31:41

8 pairs of speakers, 6 amps. Two of the speaker sets are self powered (KEF LS50, Klipsch the fives). Plus I’m just over a year into my wait for a pair of speakers & an amp from Decware. We’re not talking guitar amps right? I’ve got 4 if you count a little Pignose practice amp. Remember those? Mostly tube gear, but SS is nice for the wet side of a stereo guitar rig & TV enjoyment. I do have my eye on (ear on ?) a nine pin PSE or a 2a3PSE from some guy in NC. He’s started to build some small tube PSE amps based on an Analog Addict proof of concept experiment & has been toying with the 2a3 PSE idea. AA suggests that a stack of Benjamins would get the ball rolling.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Decware HDT-v2
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>Klipsh forté IV
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601-II
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 08/20/23 at 14:37:07

I have one amp and one pair of speakers. Apparently I have a problem

If it helps I have 4 pairs of headphones and a pair of amps on order...

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #5 - 08/20/23 at 15:57:49

Honestly, I'm ashamed to admit my addiction to sound equipment.

Three pairs of speakers in use: Tube Tots in the small room, OB Lii Fast 15's in the larger room, Tiny Radials in the living room, RL3's in standby, Klipsch La Scalla's up for sale, countless others in storage upstairs.

Four amps in use: Monoblocked SE84UFO's in small room, 300B in large room, Bluetooth hybrid in living room, Carver SS and four other SS amps in storage.

DAC's:  This is my downfall!  Not really sure how many there are.  I read other folks rave about how good their latest DAC is the best ever and here I go again.

Tweaks:  Again, I'm a sucker for trying things that make absolutely no difference to sound quality.  Got speaker wire lifts, various dongles for digital improvement,  best wires that my wallet can handle.

Room treatment:  Mostly DYI using Mr. Deckert's advice.  Absorbers, diffusers and bass traps.  My experience has been that these items have made more improvement than anything else.  Treat the room and find the best speaker placement and equipment synergy, you can now roll tubes and really appreciate what a good tube can bring to the party.

All that said, we have the absolute best sound ever in this house!

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/20/23 at 16:31:09

So I'm not the only one with gear sitting unused I can not yet stand to part with.

I have eight stereo pairs of speakers sitting idle, which come into play at various times, but mainly they just sit there.
Not stereo pairs but I have a lot of leftover pro audio stuff, way too much to even count, which come into use at various time for such as Halloween or as loaners to friends.

My daughter loves to decorate creepy-like and long ago I impressed her with my selection of creepy sounds I assembled for her from stock sound effects available free, so I bring out a bass only cabinet and pump scary noises through it for Halloween visits.

I also should count my mono stack, which I use everyday I'm in my garage, made up of twelve drivers, but it constitutes one system, quad-amped so a stereo crossover and two amps there.
One mono stack.

Not counting my living room movie rig or my "nightlight"  TV in the bedroom, each is set up with an AV receiver and some semblance of surround and subwoofer systems.

As for amplifiers, two Zens, a McIntosh, I use.
Unused, except for fun times, five Yamaha Pro of various sorts, twelve old Crown DCs, a Phase Linear, the big Carver, two modern pro Crowns, a BGW and four Peavey pro.
All but the Carver, Phase Linear and the old Crown DCs have balanced inputs, btw. I keep.
So that's twenty nine amps. Sheesh!

Receivers, I have an SAE, Panasonic, two Yamahas (one lives in my bedroom), Pioneer, Fisher, Sansui, Kenwood, Teac and a Nakamichi, all vintage solid state stuff. I only use the Teac and Fisher outside sometimes. The rest are packed away, up top (my attic).
Nine receivers.

I suppose I should move some of them out, since my activity level is dwindling lately. How does one do such a thing?
None of this gear has any value, except to me.

Smiley

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/20/23 at 16:35:39

Crap, I did not even count headphones. Again, too many. I used to have to supply them to other people, so I have many spares.
I do not share headphones, personally or cellphones for the same reasons. I always kept mine to myself! I had loaners I used for the pro audio gigs.
Probably have more than twenty still in good shape, except for having been used by other folk.

I use a pair of Sennheiser HD800s for my own use. They are the most expensive audio things I have bought in recent years, just for me.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 08/20/23 at 16:43:00

Those Sennheiser HD800S are great headphones. I use mine with the CSP3 in my audio/visual system and a ZROCK2 just dials them into perfect tonal bliss.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/20/23 at 17:11:31

Thanks for causing us to think of this Donnie. An eyeopener to add it up!

I have two pair of speakers I use, both Bob's, modified HR-1s and MG944. And two pair I have not gotten around to moving on for like 15 years, the trouble with having some place to sort of hide them away and forgetting. Three headphones, Gold Planar GL2000 (double magnet), Sennheiser HD 6XX Massdrop, and AKG K7xx Massdrop.

Five amps, Geez! Torii BLue, Torii III, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B (not commercial), and a Cavalli Tube Hybrid headphone amp.

Since Paul2 mentioned it, and quite relevant to how the rest works to me too, this room is naturally resolving and revealing from its irregular shapes, materials and how they were used. With some treatment and low bass cut, amazing.

I have always been able to hear even what might be considered very subtle differences in tubes, cables, or whatever...not really very subtle to me. This includes a relatively long trail of what could be called "tweaks," like contact treatments and electronic and airspace filters, the ones that stayed improve the sound here. And the cable quest... amazing what can be done with them with the right choices of parts, materials, geometry, and use. Same with power here, a number of complimentary things making the whole.... Resulting in a whole lot of other things I have around in use and not!!!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/20/23 at 17:46:01

Oof, I might need to reassess my priorities.
Six pairs in the shop space, four pairs in the house. Old Macintosh integrated unit, two Dynaco bits from the 70s, and a Harmon Kardon ST-5 belt drive. Mostly speakers. It took me a decade to quit blaming the speakers and get my hearing tested.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/20/23 at 17:57:57

Hmm, since pairs of speakers count, I’m going to add my HT setup.

A pair of Klipsch RP-8000f doing L/R duty for HT
2 pairs of 10” RSL Labs Ceiling speakers doing Atmos duty for HT
A pair of Revel Concerta M8 doing surround duty for HT
A pair of SVS PB-2000 Pro subs (yes, not necessarily full range, but big boxy and a prime contender for stubbing my toes on)
A pair of Lii Audio Fast 15’s for my main rig
For my son’s rig—I got him a pair of while Jamo bookshelf speakers

So that’s a total of 7 pairs of speakers that get almost daily use.

Amps:

My Dennis Had Tube amp
My Denon X3700 AVR for HT
A cheap Nobo Sound amp that I used to break-in the Lii Audio drivers and then gave it to my son to power his Jamo speakers
A Sony 2 Ch. Stereo Receiver that my son was using previously—sitting unused for the past 9 months.

So a total of 4 amps, of which 3 get regular use.

Smart Speakers:

1x Apple HomePod and a couple of Amazon Alexas

Non-Smart Speakers:

Two cheap (1x) indoor and (1x) outdoor Bluetooth speakers from Temu (the latter, I wouldn’t even wish on my worst enemy, but it’s so bad that it has attained a bit of a novelty status in the fam, plus we only use it for occasional outdoor use)

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/20/23 at 19:32:15

One ZMA amp w/ 25th Anniversary & other mods.
One CSP3 preamp w/ 25th Anniversary mods.
One HT Receiver.
One Streamer/DAC.
One Turntable.
One Phono Preamp.
Three Speaker pairs. One pair Omega XRS SAHO for sale
Two IEM headphones.
And a crap ton of tubes, glorious tubes.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #13 - 08/20/23 at 20:50:44

Quote:
Posted by: HockessinKid      Posted on: Today at 11:32:15

...And a crap ton of tubes, glorious tubes.

Now that I have. Enough tubes for the rest of this life and most of the next. In fact I bought my current amp largely so I could deploy more tubes from my stash.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/20/23 at 20:59:30

I would hate to have to count tubes, and realize the wild results from so many years of avid exploration! Shocked

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 08/20/23 at 22:19:34

I did not even think to count tubes, but I am new to this game, since I bought my first Zen in '05, then two more.
But these were my first serious stereo tube amplifiers. I am a little part of the massive unwashed as far as tubes go for my music listening. I am washing, though.

I did not own many tube driven things, except for piles of guitar amps, mic preamps, overdrive units, matching panels, etc. Live gear or recording stuff. Sure I have buckets of 6L6, 6V6, EL34 and others, 12UA, AX, AT, but not so many for my Zens.

I had a problem.

I was actually shy on rectifiers when one went supernova last year. I only had about five and I discovered that none were the same as any others. I need them in pairs.

I have been buying tubes this year as if the world was coming to an end and I have a cave to hide in.

But, all in all, this is the most funny and entertaining thread in a long time.
I thank you also, Donnie for making us think about this topic a little and maybe have a personal look into our own avarice as it is.

I will add, that a few months back (maybe April; it was still cold) I stubbed my toe on a project kind of like you did, but I split my toenail. It was not longitudinally split like mostly happens (done that to both thumbs at different times), but mine split off the entire top half in one piece, only leaving the growth plate attached. Fresh out of the shower, walking in sock feet. Never do that!
Sent me for a loop, hurt like three MFs until I figured out how to get the remains X-Acto knifed loose and gone.

Toe stubbing is not for the weak of heart!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #16 - 08/21/23 at 23:18:07

One Torii MKIV 25th
2 SE84C+ Zen Amps
Yamaha THX 5.1 HT surround sound amp
Decware ERR radials
Pinnacle Bookshelf speakers
Klipsch outdoor speakers with 6.5 woofers/Tractrix Horn
Velodyne 12/10” dual firing powered subwoofer
Klipsch The Three speaker
2 JBL Bluetooth portable speakers
11 Martin Logan Motion in wall speakers.  7 for the HT in the living room; 2 in the kitchen and 2 in the dining room.
1 pair of Bose wireless ear buds
1 pair of Apple Air Pro Pods
2 pairs of Velodyne over the ear wireless headphones.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #17 - 08/22/23 at 01:02:59

Quote:
Posted by: CAJames      Posted on: Yesterday at 06:37:07

I have one amp and one pair of speakers. Apparently I have a problem...

I need to change my answer. I just remembered I have a pair of Pass Labs Aleph mono blocs that I'm using as amp stands for my UFOs.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 08/22/23 at 01:48:01

It looks like this group’s average is a bit higher than the norm.

You folks might be a bit weird!

We need a support group.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 08/22/23 at 03:06:34

10 pair of speakers hooked up, six pair sitting around.

5 amps/receivers hooked up, six sitting around.

I don’t like this game! Time for a garage sale!

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #20 - 08/22/23 at 03:50:49

Sean,

Your last line broke me up. 😀

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print