Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 15:01:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cryotone Input tube of choice? (Read 2223 times)
HiFi Bri

Cryotone Input tube of choice?
08/18/23 at 16:46:41

Hi All, I was hoping someone could provide some recommendations on which input tube to roll.

I'm currently running a standard UFO amp with no mods, which I purchased used as a temporary amp while I await my UFO25 (I'm in the mid 400's on the list, so maybe a year away).

Even this basic unit with no mods has blown my mind. I have not rolled any tubes other than the rectifier, settling on a 1920's #80 globe and recently a 5AR4-WC. The input and power tubes are what came with the amp.

I'm 98% vinyl playback, with my chain being: Rega P3 (w/ Groovertracer mods)> Hana EH> Darlington Labs MP-7 > Decware UFO > Omega Alnico XRS Towers

Which Cryotone tubes do you think would give me the most bang for the buck? The Wathen website suggests ECC88-WC but I've seen some forum members express love for the 5670-WC (+ adaptor) and the 12AU7-WCL. I'm considering trying a pair of EL84-WC too.

I should also note that I have a ZRock on the way, hopefully within the next couple months. I understand this will potentially provide me an even more dramatic change in sound signature than tube rolling.

I want to make sure whichever tubes I purchase now for the standard UFO will be good choices for the UFO25, otherwise, I'll just wait until I get the UFO25.

Thanks!

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Cryotone Input tube of choice?
Reply #1 - 08/18/23 at 17:20:54

I'm going to be a devil's advocate of a sort as Cryotone tubes aren't my style and I would like to recommend you try a 7308 tube, especially one made in Holland, as the input tube. In all my years with that input position on amps. . . the 7308 is clearly my favorite and go to ever since I moved away from Steve's selected, tested and supplied 6N1P.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #2 - 08/18/23 at 18:01:46

Thanks Lon!

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/18/23 at 18:57:13

Quote:
I should also note that I have a ZRock on the way, hopefully within the next couple months. I understand this will potentially provide me an even more dramatic change in sound signature than tube rolling.

Not to mention that the tube you use in the ZRock can fairly dramatically change your whole sound.

Tube advice is tricky with so many variables in systems and rooms and synergy.........and tastes! So though there are a lot of nice tubes liked by many, how well each of those fits into each of these complexes, complexes that are all different, is hard to predict. I have quite a few famous tubes loved by many tube heads, the ones that rise to the top overall, that I don't use much or at all because I prefer others in that position in my setting and with my other tube choices. And similar with recommendations from those who know the amp well and have explored a lot of tubes deeply. It is not that these are not good tubes, or that they don't work for me sometimes, just that in the more subtle feel, there may be others, often cheaper ones, I prefer.

When it comes down to it, with revealing tube amps especially (and system/rooms), tubes are literally major players in the sound... And the ways each effect the compliment creates a lot of the sound.

So we try to find tubes to refine a sound that makes us feel better and better... enhancing our musical experience.

In a given setting some really well liked tubes might be a little too forceful or a little too understated.... too dynamic or too flat... some a little rolled off, or lacking fine detail, or maybe too concentrated in detail, so hard sounding... some a little too warm/dark or maybe too lean.... And each tube influences all the rest, making any of the above perhaps useful at times, and not at others.

Yet with tubes that are known to be pretty good, most any of these "too much" aspects could be just the thing to balance a tube compliment that is missing a little something, to tune into a more balanced and pleasing overall presentation.

So I am not suggesting not to try those tried and true by folks you trust the opinions of. Just that you may ultimately need more choices as you learn the language with your new amps and the ZRock2. And some of the really good tubes by other's standards might be just right in your setting compared to whatever was there before, or a really good start, but may not fit your needs ultimately.

I guess I am suggesting that this is the nature of it, and part of the beauty of tubes... it is like they are alive, the good ones with many, many very complex balances. And finally having a range of nice tubes as we explore can be pretty enlightening. Then mixing and matching is a great way to refine sound in a given system and room.

And lots of nice tubes are not really very expensive. So I guess I am encouraging trying to get "just so" tubes that will likely be pleasing, but also being open to some trial and error to get a more ultimate sound.... adjusting those initial choices if needed after the tubes settle and you get a feel for them. Then what sonic traits would make the sound better for your room and tastes, more or less clear and resolving, more or less dynamic etc. For example, are the Cryotone tubes or rarer/prime NOS tubes you decide to try not just costly, but perhaps a little overstated or understated in some ways? And if so, you have a baseline to work from.

Then what tubes might bring the refinements you would like... furthering the exploration for a more complete and engrossing sound experience. And if we grow to having several good choices of good tubes with different flavors in a given position, we likely will have more options for deeper personalized refinement, and the ability to change it up now and then, causing us to hear the music in different ways.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #4 - 08/18/23 at 19:39:12

Thank you, Will. So far my experience has aligned with what you've laid out so eloquently.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/19/23 at 17:33:34

Having neither a UFO or UFO25, I hope someone with one or both will give opinions on which Wathen tubes to look at.

And I can only hypothesize on the differences in the two amps, but can give it a generalized go, hoping others with the amps will comment.

Based on what I have experienced and heard from others here about modification upgrades on the coupling caps and power supply, and/or internal tubes and resistors... there is a thread throughout amps... these are all ways to increase open transparency, speed, resolution, etc... basically just making the amp do what it did before mods more completely.... so cleaner, more complex, more immediacy/speed, dynamics, density, inner detail, space...

Relative to the UFOs, I am sure you have read a lot on them, but my sense is they have the same foundational design, but the UFO25 looks like it will give you all the amp you have does, while making everything more complete. The Anniversary Modifications do this, but the 25 uses variations on those mods, and takes it quite a bit deeper. Looks to me like most of the amp was tuned up to Steve's optimal view as he refined the beloved 25 year old design, while still being more approachable than comparable in cost.....

So seems to me that with all he learned over those 25 years, and discovered while tuning the UFO25 toward optimized sound...lots of things went into the 25, including Voltage Regulator power refinement and tuning ability, lots of parts and wires upgraded, and not least a tuned up internal power supply. Conceptually, to me, though possibly less obvious, these things are likely as, or very likely, more powerful toward refinement of a more transparent and resolving presentation than just the A-modifications... and it has both designed in. These thoughts are based in the ways I have experienced more advanced parts, wires and bypass upgrades done by sound anyway.

So will tubes you love now translate to your coming amp? I guess that depends on your tastes and system/room... I strongly suspect that the UFO25 will give you more of everything in a more refined and more resolving way, and if that suits you... in  my experience, nicer tubes, in a more refined and complete sounding version of the amp, do tend to translate. With modifications that work in balanced ways across the spectrum in allowing a more complete and musically complex experience, skillful mods do whatever they do to the tubes, so the tubes get more complex and resolved.

But also, with the level of "modifications" the UFO25 got in design, seems to me it will show issues with tubes that do not show as much in the unmodified UFO, just because the 25 will reveal the tube's sounds more completely. So if the tubes are not equally complete as the amp in one or more areas, it will very likely show that. My guesses anyway.

I hope more folks with experience with these amps will come in on this.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #6 - 08/19/23 at 18:32:08

The Wathen ECC88 is my input tube in my SE84. Best of many different input tubes that I’ve tried, so it is recommended.

I have a second SE84 due to arrive this afternoon, and have a Wathen ECC88 ready and waiting to put in it(I ordered two 6 months ago)

I have not tried any other Wathen tubes, so can’t compare to the 5670.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/19/23 at 19:18:02

Hey Geno,

I wonder if would describe what you mean by "best of many," like maybe a few you compared to the Wathen input, and what the sonic improvements were compared to the others? Just thinking we could put several really nice tubes with a little different balances and emphasis' in that position, and in your room, and you might find one best, and possibly me another, and maybe another person liking the third best. And in another system/room, those "best" results might possibly rotate some.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #8 - 08/19/23 at 20:40:38

Hey Will!

I liked and used the 6N1P for quite a while. Compared it to 6922 and 7308 tubes, and liked the extra warmth. Later, I read about the 6N5P, and tried it - liked it a bit more than the 6N1P, so stayed with it for a period.

Later still, the 6SN7 reviews showed up on our forum. I got the RCA smoked glass version, and liked it more. Better all around sound.

Then came Wathen. I did not want to spend the extra money for them, but based on positive reviews, I tried the ECC88. To me it is better across the board. The warmth of the 6N1P/6N5P, but with the added clarity of a 6922.

I am not real good at describing what I hear, but I know what satisfies my auditory nerve.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/19/23 at 21:25:25

I have no experience with any cryo'd tubes, so can't add anything on that front.

Last weekend I was sorting through old electronics to take the junk to the recycler. I pulled out an old Sencore scope. It hit me that it uses tubes, but I couldn't recall which. I found a pair of IEC Mullard 6DJ8/ECC88's inside. Popped one in the SE84UFO and it was very good in making a big wide, deep, inviting and detailed soundstage. However, the low end wasn't there and overall volume was much lower.  

Popped that back out and put back the Amperex 6922 and I enjoy that tube most out of what I have here which isn't much. A couple 6N1P and that's it. I recall wanting to try the 6SN7 smoked glass RCA's, can't recall why I never got one, likely side tracked by room treatments.

I also browsed for an Amperex 7308 based on Lon recommending it a few times in different threads. Like Lon, I'm sensitive to too much treble. Too much hot high end cramps my neck. The prices on the 7308 scared me off.

It's great to read many different opinions, thoughts, ideas...it helps when I get the itch to shop which is akin to running blindfolded in the forest at times!

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 08/19/23 at 23:42:56

Yes, it's good to have options and hear opinions. And then the acid test is how they sound in your gear and in your room and with your music.

The latter is important too. I've been to friends' houses and listened to their systems, optimized for pop or rock music. They sound good, then I put in a jazz or classical cd and the system just isn't right for that type of sound and recording.

Opinions are great starting points and if you have the money to explore a lot of types you can really get a handle on what works in your system. Many here are gaga over the Wathen tubes but the ones I shelled out for an imput don't fit into my system well at all. I sold them and I think they are being enjoyed elsewhere. But they were as expensive or more so than Amperex 7308, which I enjoy much much more. So. . .tube-rolling others' favorites can be a risky venture. I did spend years doing what Will has recommended: looking for and trying out inexpensive NOS tubes of different types and brands, and learned a lot about where to put big dollars when needed to get the sounds I crave.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/20/23 at 02:02:33

Lon,

Wondering which Wathens did you try, and if the ECC88s, how did they compare in sonic balances/qualities to your E188CCs... I think I recall you using the Holland E188CC/7308s with parasol getters?

Thanks Geno.

Knowing these tubes you used as references, I think your comparisons make sense in pointing to how the Cryotone ECC88 tube tends to sound there. I find 6922/E88CC and 7308/E188CC can vary pretty widely, as do some 6N1Ps (I think i recall your using cleaner more articulate 6N1P 3 micas?), and some 6N5Ps, but I get the family implications as they fit into your comparisons. And I am familiar with the smoked glass RCA 6SN7s. So thanks.

One reason I was interested in your opinions was that I have listened to a number of your youtube videos, and figured that if the recordings are relatively close to the room, that you might be prone to some pretty warm, and even somewhat rolled off tubes. To me, you have a very clear sound, and lot of high end info strong in the balance, making tubes that are warm, and smooth on top make sense, like the smoked the 6SN7 sounds here.

I need pretty unrestricted very fine detail here, with good space, making the overall detail very complex, but prefer that it falls deeper into the blend, contributing to a rich, somewhat sweet midrange, and complex, fast, dynamic, but slightly rounded bass. My HR-1s with Bob's driver/crossover mods on the original HR-1 were pretty sweet, warm and euphonic here... ultimately a little too colored toward darkish/slowish for me, but sweet. I needed to tune them for tighter/faster and more complex bass, and clearer and faster with more complexity throughout really. I still think of them as warmish oriented, and I like that, the combination of the balances quite awake and complex, but still a sweetish warmth that does not slow them down or mask detail in any part of the spectrum. Compared to your recordings with my nice planar headphones, my bass is stronger and rounder, but articulate and textured, the mids more present in the blend and warmer/sweeter, more complexly detailed throughout, so a lot of harmonic info in decays, textures... maybe similarly extended on top... but not close to as bright and clear in balances as your recordings. Just pointing to how much where we start effects tube preferences.

Beside recordings and YouTube compression, who knows what all plays into it with frontends, amps, rooms cables and all, but our sound appears to be so different it could easily cause us to prefer different tubes. For example, the smoked glass RCA 6SN7s, in this warmer/fuller system/room, I have to open up the rest of the tubes notably to counter their being too balanced toward bass  in this setting, making them too "warm" and rolled off compared to my normal Torii inputs. Those are usually pretty neutral (in this room anyway), open and nicely textured early 60s Holland ECC189s ... a complex sound sort of between slightly warm and nicely textured but open ECC88s (like late 50s/early 60s Siemens) and more open, dynamic, and a bit bassier good quality PCC88s... Guessing this tube would probably not be a great tube in your setting, but in mine, it is a favorite with many to compare. That said, I can imagine how the smoked glass 6SN7s might be good in your room and not have to be tuned around like here to bring them out, instead being nice with their inherent biggish fullness, warmth and refined detail... not darkened by the rest like here.

E88CC/6922 types in my Toriis are a little too forceful for me, so I find your sense of the Cryotone ECC88s being sort of a blend of 6922 types and your warm smoked glass 6SN7s interesting... guessing the 6922 contributions you are hearing are their extended and relatively powerful clarity and neutrality (?). Nicer ECC88 variants here tending to be my favorite over recent years, the Cryotones sound like they could possibly be good to me.

But a big part of what I don't tend to like about the forcefulness of E88CC/6922s in my Torii, is that many of the type make the signal too concentrated, especially disturbing up higher for me with the detail too consolidated compared to lower key and more textured quality ECC88/6DJ8s. Even the early 60s, very complexly detailed and warmish E188CC/7308s with parasol getters from Holland sound a little strong in the Torii here, though I love them as power tubes in my CSP3 with a more open and clear PCC88 or ECC88 type as input, and a neutral and resolving/complex rectifier.

So I wonder, how you would describe the detail and spaciousness of the Wathen ECC88... is the detail as complex as your 6SN7s or 65NPs... sort of rich and textured, and if anything a little rolled off with the finest stuff... Or would you call it more concentrated... or .......

It is cool how variable and alive this quest with nice tube gear is.

thanks,

Will

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 08/20/23 at 02:08:42

Will, I tried the 6SN7 as I was using RCA 6SN7 at the time as inputs (with converter bases). In my system they were--to me--bright and tart sounding, even after hundreds of hours. They were tolerable in my audio/visual system that is in a much larger room, though I didn't prefer them to a number of other tubes. They just didn't do it at all for me in the main system. They were expensive and made me reticient to try others.

I also bought Steve's powertubes sent to Wathen for treatment. They may sound a bit better, with the ZROCK2 and P15 I could make them sound about the same as those that I got from Steve. They were about four times as expensive. They would have to last four times as long to be worth the money. . .the jury is about three years out from that decision.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/20/23 at 03:53:48

Thanks Lon.

I figured they might be something like that based on what I know about your tube preferences, but good to get verification. The JJs I have enjoyed were an old Cryoset pair of 5AR4/GZ34 in my SE34, and I tried them in my 300B recently and they were pretty good there which I found interesting. And less liked, but useful for a time Cryoset JJ 6CA7s, but reliability was really bad for me with those. Their KT77s are to me in a similar quality neighborhood as the 6CA7s, both pretty nice, but neither a tube I loved. I don't recall having tried any other JJs, but can't rule out liking some of them more than others like other makers. Nor can I imagine how advanced the Wathen method is toward a sound I might like if I liked the original JJ. But it sounds from the two you tried like I might find them too consolidated and hard. I don't even know why I am thinking about them, having so many great NOS tubes!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print