Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 14:25:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84UFO buzzing....tubes? (Read 2424 times)
HiFi Bri

SE84UFO buzzing....tubes?
04/17/23 at 18:39:37

I recently purchased a used Zen amp (Feb 2023 on the back of the unit), unpackaged it, plugged it in, and am noticing a fairly loud buzz with and without music playing through it. When i adjust the volume, the buzzing crackles and pops as i go louder. I tired both RCA inputs, switching the bias switch, etc. and same thing.

I'm hoping this is just an issue with a tube. I don't currently have any other tubes on hand I can swap out.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
MarioEd
Verified Member

Re: SE84UFO buzzing....tubes?
Reply #1 - 04/17/23 at 19:24:44

Is the noise coming through both channels or only on one channel? If it’s only one channel, try swapping the power tubes and see if noise switches to the other channel. If it does that would likely indicate a bad tube. You can also check that all the tubes are fully seated, I once was getting a buzz after swapping in some new tubes, turned out one tube wasn’t fully seated in the socket.
Regards,
Mario

Roon Rock NUC 11i7 > Sonore ultrarendu > Chord Qutest dac > Bottlehead Moreplay > Jolida Foz ss-x >SE84UFO > Omega Junior 8XRS, Kimber Kable hero IC & Audience Ohno iii SC
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #2 - 04/17/23 at 19:36:11

Thanks Mario.

Noise is coming through both channels. I tired switching output tubes and same thing. Wiggling the tubes doesn't alter the buzzing but turning the volume up and down makes things go in and out a bit and crackle.

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
MarioEd
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/17/23 at 19:50:27

That would seem to rule out the power tubes, the easiest way to check the input and rectifier tubes is to swap in new ones one at a time and see if you’re still getting noise. One other thing you can try is disconnect all inputs into the amp. Then turn the amp on with the volume at minimum, slowly turn the volume up. If you are still getting noise, it indicates the issue is likely with the amp.

Could still be the input or rectifier tube or a loose wire inside, but you’ll have to wait till you have some new tubes to check. Oh yeah, I’d also check that your speaker cables are tightly connected.

Regards,
Mario

Roon Rock NUC 11i7 > Sonore ultrarendu > Chord Qutest dac > Bottlehead Moreplay > Jolida Foz ss-x >SE84UFO > Omega Junior 8XRS, Kimber Kable hero IC & Audience Ohno iii SC
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #4 - 04/17/23 at 19:52:45

Thanks. I ordered some replacement tubes to check.

Also, upon inspection of the supplied power cord, it seems cheap. It's a King Cord KC-003, 15A / 125V.

I have a higher quality power cord but it's 250v.

IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #5 - 04/17/23 at 19:56:22

The inside of the power cord input on the Zen says 250v. Could this be the issue?

IP Logged
MarioEd
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 04/17/23 at 20:42:34

It could be. It sounds like it could be wired for European voltage. I’d suggest you give Steve a call with your amps serial number to see what he can tell you.

Regards,
Mario

IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #7 - 04/17/23 at 21:19:14

I called Decware and Sarah told me the unit does appear to be wired for US voltage.

I ordered some extra tubes so I'll swap them in once I get them and see if I can find the culprit.

I have an appt. with Steve in a couple days  to troubleshoot further.

Fingers crossed that it's just a tube!

IP Logged
MarioEd
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/17/23 at 21:34:04

Good luck, hopefully it is jut a tube.

Regards,
Mario

IP Logged
Amych1954
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 04/25/23 at 03:59:44

Could be a problem with the power supply or grounding. It is possible that the amplifier is not properly grounded, which may result in a humming or buzzing sound. If you do not feel comfortable troubleshooting an amplifier yourself, it may be a good idea to take it to professional service for further diagnosis and repair.
basket random

IP Logged
ratketyree
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 08/11/23 at 02:23:57

A possibility. Perhaps it was wired for European voltage. If you want to know more about your amplifier, I suggest calling Steve and giving him the serial number.

IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #11 - 08/18/23 at 16:36:13

It's been several months and I realized I've never provided the solution. Turned out it was an issue with the ground wire. I shipped the unit back to Decware for repair and it was back in my hands after three weeks, good as new.

IP Logged
MarioEd
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 08/19/23 at 19:51:48

Glad it worked out for you.
Regards,
Mario

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print