Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 13:13:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UFO25s & speaker sensitivity (question for Steve) (Read 1000 times)
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

UFO25s & speaker sensitivity (question for Steve)
08/18/23 at 07:52:35

This question is for Steve, but I am posting for general reference.

In your UFO25 dev log, you state, "Don't handicap this [2.3-watt] amplifier with anything less than an honest 94dB 1/w 1/m because it deserves at least that."

My choice of Decware amplification is a once-in-a-lifetime decision. I therefore want to be a purist and take you literally, knowing that if I go with 93db speakers the world won't come to an end. Probably.

94db is a pretty daunting minimum. I would love to have more choice than speakers from Klipsch, Omega and Lii, but there is not much out there, even at 92db. But I can use a pair of UFO25s.

My question is therefore, what is the number that you would plug (YMMV and warrant-free) into the statement, "Don't handicap these [6-watt monoblocked] amplifiers with anything less than an honest XXdB 1/w 1/m because they deserve at least that"?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: UFO25s & speaker sensitivity (question for Ste
Reply #1 - 08/18/23 at 13:38:25

FWIW the math says 6 watts is about 4 dB more than 2.3, so that would change 94 dB speakers to 90.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Re: UFO25s & speaker sensitivity (question for Steve)
Reply #2 - 08/18/23 at 18:50:38

If you want to take the purist approach, I would suggest you get a high efficiency, single full range driver speaker. If you can eliminate the crossover(s) in your signal path, you will hear the difference in the purity of the signal from the amplifier. There are many fans of both Lii Audio and Omega speakers in this forum and there is a reason for that.

I have the 25th anniversary Zen amp and chose the Lii Audio Fast 15 driver in a Caintuck Audio Baffle. It is rated at 97 db efficiency and in the real world comes closer to 100 db. My 2.3 watts drive them louder than I would ever want to play them. I am constantly amazed that a full range 15 inch speaker can produce such clean, fast and articulate bass coupled with such sweet midrange and highs. It is the essence of purity. And this is from a guy who use to prefer low efficiency electrostatic speakers. I would recommend getting more information about the speakers from these two companies. I doubt you will ever have regrets by doing so.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Re: UFO25s & speaker sensitivity (question for Steve)
Reply #3 - 08/19/23 at 00:27:54

Thanks to you both. Yes, I did the math, but I was interested in hearing the option from Steve's listening room.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print